• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New sport touring bike

:tab Wow. That guy is a real glutton for punishment :eek: Other than the notariety for doing it on an R1, I can't really understand why he would choose that bike :scratch I would think that doing such a trip would have so many other nightmares. Why make it worse by taking that bike instead of something better suited to carrying such heavy loads and dealing with the vagaries of the terrain? Still, it is kind of cool to see that bike belch water out the pipe and then fire up :lol:

:tab Thanks for the link!

Tourmeister said:
:tab Wow. That guy is a real glutton for punishment :eek: Other than the notariety for doing it on an R1, I can't really understand why he would choose that bike

Many people have a hammer as their only tool. :-D

regardless of why, which would be more difficult

across europe & asia on GSA's

or

around the world on an R1

makes my butt sore just thinking about it

What a poser, he didn't even wave to that other rider near the end of the vid.

;-)

:hail

Here's another adventure sport-rider, who rode a Triumph Daytona around the world in a little under 32 days...! clicky. His book, Fastest Man Around the World is a quick :-) but interesting read.

Thanks for the post.

He seems to like sand. :lol:

I guess it's been done on BMW GS bikes so many times that he wanted to do something different! :eek:

Nice vid, and I admire him for his sense of adventure and his ability to ride in some of those places.

Cheers! M2

Exactly...seems like these days any out of work actor can go round the world on a GS. Where's the challenge?

Now, navigating an R1 through 2 feet of standing water, just once, is crazy. So doing it for a few thousand miles is at least worthy of a video clip ;-)

Wow, and I thought I was adventurous :shock: . A few days ago a friend emailed a picture of this guy stuck deep in mud, it was cool to see the whole vid.

kocook said:
I wonder who took the videos and how they got around.
A buddy of mine and I were discussing that. Those vids weren't taken by bystanders with a Samsung camcorder.... probably a 4X4 expedition support vehicle :roll:

Well, I feel a little bit vindicated.

I get a lot of crap from my riding buddies for navigating dirt roads and manuvering around traffic jams through ditches and jumping curbs on my sportbikes.

This video just got sent to all of them. :mrgreen:

This guy's definately got stugots!
:chug:

I never knew YZF was a sport touring bike.

I can't really understand why he would choose that bike

In Europe they have a different philosophy about motorcycling riding and exactly why riders are better off riding sportbikes.

Still, it is kind of cool to see that bike belch water out the pipe and then fire up

Still makes me wonder though, why he would not close off the exhaust prior to going into the water :eek:

Rdslvr04 said:
I never knew YZF was a sport touring bike.

I can't really understand why he would choose that bike

In Europe they have a different philosophy about motorcycling riding and exactly why riders are better off riding sportbikes.

Still, it is kind of cool to see that bike belch water out the pipe and then fire up

Still makes me wonder though, why he would not close off the exhaust prior to going into the water :eek:
I thought about that too, he must've rode it into a deep spot without knowing the depth, surely! It happened to me once; I tested the depth, went for it, then just before where I tested it, it dropped a couple of feet! :shock: Next time I'll check the full length of the bog :roll: . Luckily I thought to keep the throttle open, guess he didn't...

I agree with the not waving to the only other bike in that part of the world. I noticed on his graphic of the route and destination that the trip ended in Texas, he must have said "I made it to heaven!"
I have to re-think my packing. My bike looks that packed up when I go on an overnight trip and say in a motel.
:-D

Seems like a sport/sport-touring bike is better because of maneuverability. I know when I drove a fast sports car, I ALWAYS felt like I was safer, because I could dart around anything I wanted, accelerate out of the way of anything I needed to, and stop faster than nearly every other car on the road... Also, I find it much safer to enter the freeway from an onramp at 80 than at 60. Going faster than traffic and merging is safer than going equal or slower speed. It puts you in control and not at the mercy of the other drivers' brakes.

Now I drive a 4cyl pick-up truck (Colorado), and I find myself winding out to redline in every single gear (manual) on freeway entrances. My girlfriend says I'm driving my truck too hard, but I still don't feel comfortable with pokey entrances on the freeway. It's just that pegging 70-80mph in the old LS1 Z28 was simply a matter of using moderate throttle. heh.

-Michael

I wonder how much extra fuel he had to carry. I know the liter bikes guzzle gas when in gears 1-3. Still, very cool. I have wondered why we didn't see more of this sort of thing.

My ZX9 has 6" of ground clearance. I don't really need that long a suspension travel if I am not jumping berms. I am not against riding off the beaten path with it. I rode through about 2 feet of water last year during the flooding around Braeswood bayou. Other than having to ride to San Antonio soaking wet after that, it wasn't too bad.

Just read in the most recent Cycle World where a guy rode around the Sahara on a Benelli TnT. Ahhh, just the bike for sport-touring the desert. :-)

21451908-M.jpg

HHHHmmmmm I think Ill just stick to riding around hill country and down to the coast, That trip looks like an adventure but i personally dont know that it would be worth it

Wow... thats pretty impressive. I'd go ahead and do the "normal" around the world trip on a KTM or something. Cruising through the jungle on a race-replica just wouldn't do it for me I don't think.

Nico

Big deal, let's see him do it on a Vespa!! :mrgreen:

That trip is freakin awesome and he had the video to prove it. A friend of mine in Europe once took 5 months off to cycle across Asia. When I say cycle, I mean the kind your have to pedal!!! He (and his girlfriend) rode thru "This"-stan and "That"-stan, thru China and SE Asia. That, my friends, is impressive.
:chug:

Heck, my wife doesn't even let me ride my bike to work. Then again, Houston traffic is probably more dangerous than Sudanese border guards!
:biggun:

Cheers!

Back