• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

tire mount/balance in dfw?

brd

Reaction score
Well, the day I feared has come. My local honda dealer has started charging $30 to mount a tire (off the bike). :? I need to find someplace more affordable, preferably in the mid-cities, or look into getting my own changing system.

Any recommendations?

Yes, do them your self. You have a garage right? Get you some 2 X 4's and some bolts to make a bead breaker. Go to the local Tractor Supply store and get some 18" tire irons with the curved ends, get at least three. Do a few quick net searches for "motorcycle tire changing instructions" and you will find tons of stuff. I've been changing mine for a few years now. As a matter of fact, you should talk with Booth aka mrb here in the forum. He's in your neck of the woods. I think he either does his own or has a guy that does them pretty cheap.

Or you could join the TSBA. We have a nice tire changer at one of the members houses. Use it once and it pays for your membership dues ($24). That's not even mentioning all of the other intangible benefits of being part of Texas' premier sport riding club! The changer's in Garland though so it would be quite a haul for you.

Geez oh Pete! Gimme the name of that place. Best I've found on west side of FW is 40 per on carry in. Paid 90 to get new shoes on the blackbird (ride in). I'm a nomadic contractor, but if I ever put roots down I'd buy the m/c tire changer equip from harborfreight.com & anchor it to the garage floor. Costs under 100 bucks. until then, the hosure continues...

arcangel said:
Geez oh Pete! Gimme the name of that place. Best I've found on west side of FW is 40 per on carry in. Paid 90 to get new shoes on the blackbird (ride in). I'm a nomadic contractor, but if I ever put roots down I'd buy the m/c tire changer equip from harborfreight.com & anchor it to the garage floor. Costs under 100 bucks. until then, the hosure continues...

I actually ended up buying a tireqwik setup. See this post for more info.

I haven't had the chance to use it yet. I'd like to also get a workbench and an old car rim to use as a base for a changing station, but just hate to give up valuable garage real-estate.

Arc (or anyone else near the mid-cities), drop me a line if you want to come by and use it.

:tab My only recommendation is that you buy a few cans of silicon based tire lube. It is light years better than soap and water, trust me. Used properly, getting the rear tire off the rim is a snap. Otherwise, it can make three grown men break down and cry like little babies and at the very least cost you some serious knuckle flesh :eek:

:tab I don't know about the 94-97 model VFR's, but the 98-01 models have wheel weights that clip to the center of the rim. They are a little pricey at nearly $10 a piece, but you can use them for the life of the bike and they make balancing MUCH EASIER than using the silly stick on weights that may or may not actually stick on!

DO NOT READ THIS WITHOUT A BOTTLE OF FECES BE GONE NEARBY!!!

Called Yamaha West today in FW to see what they'd charge to mount & balance the front on my FJ1200. The guy said they were having a "special". ***105*** FREAKIN BUCKS to MOUNT a TIRE THAT I PAID 102 for!!! :shock: Yep, that's pretty special, alright. After soiling myself, I called the Honda dealership that's 100 yards down the road, $44.90.

Note to self: Yama-who? Hello Honda.

BRD--Thanks much for the offer. Unfortunately, I live the just-in-time lifestyle (read MASSIVE OVERTIME), and hafta hand my ever-shrinking wallet to the dealers, as long as they can do the work in the timeframe I get get there.

L8r
chad

New answer to old question...

Northeast Cycles in Watauga on 377 will mount & balance for free if you buy from him & bring in your wheels. See Larry.

No Affiliation. :)

M & B at Extreme Outdoor in Georgetown = $16 wheel off the bike. They have walk-in-walk-out tire changing on Saturday mornings.

M & B at Cycle Gear in Austin = $16 wheel off bike.

Prices probably don't apply if you bring your own tires in.

I've changed three tires in the last three month and each time I have taken them to DFW Honda in Grapevine to get them balanced. They balance them for free for me, but I do try to give them business when I can. I did not buy the tires from them, but they don't care. I am on a first name basis with most of the people who work there.

Larry Johnson

I used NorthEast Cycles, last year when I replaced my tires on my Concours, took the wheels off myself and hauled them down to the cycle store.

I save about $130 compared to just riding the bike in and saying, new tires please.

I gave the Concours with 140,000 miles on it, to my brother in San Jose Calif in Feb, I'm riding a ZX 11 now for a fun bike,,,,

My ZX11 is sitting at Piper Performance right now, tune up 12,000 mile service.

www.piperperformance.com

Back