• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

VTec tune-ups

mg

Reaction score
I own a 2000 VFR800 and am thinking of replacing it, perhaps with a VTec VFR or a Futura. Any known problems with either machine? Can a layman adjust the valves on the VTec?

I pride myself on servicing my scooters myself.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Seems to me I remember seeing that Honda charged a fortune for the 16,000 mile valve adjustment because of the difficulty in accessing the valves. Somewhere in the $700 range rings a bell. That is one of the reasons I decided against the VFR.

Yeah, I've heard horror stories like that but also that the VTec assembly hardly needs checking because it's not in use that much.

BTW, TX Medic, what do you ride?

And...hey folks, what about the Sprint ST? I had a chance to play on a new one plus the '03 955i at a Triumph ride thing at my dealership. I liked the ST a bunch except for the suspension. It's as non-adjustable as my '00 VFR. That's why I threw mucho money at the VFR. But that ST motor...wow!

And the 955i, well, that thing reminded me of my '99 ZX-9R. Yeeeoooow!

Actually , my fav. is the ST4S Ducati however the Baton Rouge dealership offloaded the franchise back to 'em.

Thanks again, y'all, for any advice. It's a nice day here in BR but my VFR is too sick to ride for several more weeks. Must be that flu I've heard about.

mg said:
Yeah, I've heard horror stories like that but also that the VTec assembly hardly needs checking because it's not in use that much.

A couple of years ago I remember reading that the VTEC valves could not be adjusted. The reason was that vavles hardly move, and typically a rider will not put enough miles on the bike to bother.

As far as I am concerned that killed the bike on my hoice list right there. I want to put 100k miles on a bike.

mg said:
And...hey folks, what about the Sprint ST? I had a chance to play on a new one plus the '03 955i at a Triumph ride thing at my dealership. I liked the ST a bunch except for the suspension. It's as non-adjustable as my '00 VFR. That's why I threw mucho money at the VFR. But that ST motor...wow!

And the 955i, well, that thing reminded me of my '99 ZX-9R. Yeeeoooow!

Aiy the Sprint ST :roll: , sometimes I really miss mine. As to my above comment it was taken away from me too early. With just over 25k miles in 18 months it was just getting broken in. At the 24k miles check up, I replaced a single shime to the next size smaller, making it the only shim to be changed. From 10,000 FASL and 35 degF to -50ft and 124 degF the FI failed to miss a beat, the engine never went over 1/3 temp when moving. Several 800+ mile days in comfort.

If you plan to do a lot of riding the duc may be expensive to keep up the maintanance.

As far as the '99 ZX9r, I sold it for a car, big mistake. I miss the 'kill smurf mobile'.

cheers,
Tom

Howdy,

:tab The comments about the VTec valves not being used perplex me. :-? The extra two valves kick in at 7Krpm, always. Anyone that rides around on the VFR without ever getting over 7K needs to have their head checked! ;-) Access is no more difficult than on a 98-01 VFR. However, the whole job has to be done twice and reassembled in between. It gets checked with the VTec disengaged, reassembled partially, then rechecked with the VTec engaged. So the extra expense is simply a result of the extra time needed. I haven't done the service myself, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so I don't know crap! I have ridden one though and won't be upgrading from the 98 or 01 anytime soon. I find the VTec exceptionally annoying while riding because it kicks in right around the spot where I spend a lot of time so it keeps engaging and disengaging real quick causing a noticeable stutter. But if you blast right through it when going up or down through the rpm, to me it was totally transparent. There was no kick in the pants when it engaged, no real noticeable change in sound, etc,... Other than for emissions, I really don't see it as step in the postive direction. :shrug:

:tab I think the money woould be well spent to upgrade the suspension on your 00 VFR unless you are just in the mood for something new.

:tab Welcome to the site MG.

Adios,

I've put maybe 1,000 miles on my dealer's 2001 Futura demo over the last 2 years or so. (He's been good to me when my VFR has been down for the count.).

I like it but the vibes killed my wrists a bit after 3-4 hours each ride. I like the power, fer shure, plus the handling and brakes are spot on. It's certainly everything a bod could want. Maybe I'm just out of shape and need to ride more.

Anyway, yes, I could finish my VFR fork mods. to match my Penske rear damper but......I feel it's time for a change.

Again, I like the Futura, the Sprint and the ST4, the ST2 and all the VFRs, even. But then yesterday in Baton Rouge I was cruising along in the Jeep and saw a cherry Concours with what looked and sounded a bit like Staintune cans on it. Hmmmm....I longed for my '94 Connie for a moment.

So many motorcycles, so little money.

I was just told by a mechanic thid evening that the valve adjustment on a VFR is approximately 19 hours according to the service writers book.

That sounds expensive. What is so complicated that it would take that long, getting to the valves?

Gotta love the Boxer engine for that...

I really love the VFR engine when the revvs get up past the Boxer engine redline though...

Howdy,

:tab It has to do with the pin that makes the extra valves work. Like I said earlier, do a check with the system disengaged, fiddle with the pin thingy to make it engage, check it all again, repeat if necessary. Needlessly complicated in my opnion. I think many of the manufacturers have lost sight of the keep it simple mantra. It would not be as frustrating except for cases like this where a regular and routine maintenance issues becomes quite expensive. I have been hearing of many VTec owners reporting that the valve check was not real expensive. It makes me wonder if the dealership mechanic is actually doing the job properly? :-? folks that have done it themselves say that some kind of special tool is required so you have to factor in that cost as well if you do it yourself, not too mention your own time.

Adios,

mrr1150gs said:
I was just told by a mechanic thid evening that the valve adjustment on a VFR is approximately 19 hours according to the service writers book.

Wow! that's $1,140 at $60/hr. They ought to be able to rebuild the engine in less time than that. I'd ask to see the book. Factor those kind of costs in and the BMW is seeming more reasonable all the time.

:eek: I think I'll keep my non-Vtec VFR... Shim under bucket valves and carbs seem better all the time. Fuel injection would be nice, but the VFR runs so well, I don't really need it. I kind of chuckle when my friends with other brands of bike have difficulty getting their bikes running on a cold morning. I love owning a Honda... :mrgreen:

This last weekend, it was in the low 30's. I went to start my Honda and it started on the first push of the button. My friend that has a Aprilia said exactly that plain and simple "It's a Honda".

Of course in the dinosaur days, when I was in college, I would have to kick start my 750F on cold days. The oil just wouldn't move easily enough to let the starter spin the motor. Thank god for the kick starter when I depended on my bike as my only form of transportation.

Well, lets hear from the an actual user-

I love the VTEC. No aspursions meant but the VTEC is a more powerful set-up than the standard VFR engine. More torque in the low end and more horsepwer up top (no a lot, but some). The only problem I have is that they added more weight to the VFR so a lot of that new gain was lost and so now most people ride them and say they dont see the difference (although I certainly did, especially of the line). Now Scott, you are right about the in/out issue when you hang around 7000 RPM. I usually hang around 5-6K for most of my cruise riding so it doesnt affect me. But when I am out to go, I am usually going 5 up to 9K and thru 7k pretty quick so I dont notice the kick.

As for the maintenance on the valves, I am at 6k miles on the VFR and havent had any problems at all. I will be talking with my local mechanic soon (Zabors Cycles) about the valve check stuff but since it wont be for another 8-10 months, hopefully by then they will have it down and it wont be as expseive as some have said.

Also check with Johnny Cheese Performance in Pflugerville. He used to work for Woods and D&L before going out on his own. He also has the only Dynojet dyno in the area if you like that sort of thing. His prices seem to be pretty reasonable, and he is one of two mechanics I actually would let work on my bikes.

No aspursions meant but the VTEC is a more powerful set-up than the standard VFR engine. More torque in the low end and more horsepwer up top (no a lot, but some).

:tab This is what I keep hearing, but I have yet to see a dyno comparing stock 98-01 to stock Vtec that supports that claim. All the ones I have seen on the VFR mailing list and other places indicate that they are about the same and in several places the older motor actually makes more torque and HP. Either way, the very slight performance edge it might have does't seem to be enough to justify the extra expense and complication. This is not to say it is not a great bike to ride. It handles very well and is comfortable.

:tab My biggest gripe really is just the complexity issue. Very few people work on their own car anymore because the engines and associated stuff have become so complex. Motorcycles are fast heading down that same path which I think is a bit of a shame. A lot of the fun of owning a bike is tinkering with it. Now you have to have lots of specialized tools and knowledge to work on a bike. The cost of working on the bike is going up. How long before we have disposable bikes much like we have disposable electronics? Already insurance companies are totalling bikes with very little actual damage simply because the cost of repairing them is getting so high compared to the value of the bikes.

:tab Sure, there are those riders that want nothing to do with working on their bike and if something needs to be done, they will just take it to the dealership and let the "expert" work on the bike. The so called "experts" are not as professional as the dealerships would like us to think. I have found that they can seldom even get basic stuff right! And now I am expected to trust my bike to them as it gets more complicated? Forget it.

:tab In recent years there has been a growing number of people buying older (late 70's, 80's and early 90's) bikes simply because they are easy to work on and maintain. There is no disputing that the new bikes have more advanced technology on them. However, that in and of itself is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion.

:tab Anyway, I'm not really bashing the new VFR. It is not the only bike heading down the path of more complexity. All of them seem to be. That is what is rubbing me the wrong way. I'm a geek engineer so the complex stuff fascinates me. But being an engineer, I also realize that complex usually equals more opportunity for things to break, more expense to manufacture, and more expense to maintain. So it becomes a cost/benefit argument for me. Does the extra performance justify the additional cost and complexity?

:tab Whew...! Where'd the time go? :brainsnap

Adios,

Sometimes change simply for the sake of change isn't the best path. Some of the changes on the new VFR I think were welcome. The lighting looks about 2-3 times as bright as on my '92 model. The undertail exhaust I'm sure would work pretty well with soft luggage. But after working on my bikes, I've gotten used to the relative simplicity of the design. While VTec may look nice on paper, I feel the added complexity isn't worth the trade off in cost, weight, and repair difficulty. The VFR always has been Honda's tech guinea pig bike, so it only makes sense that it would get the VTec I guess. I just feel that the decision to add it to the VFR was a bit misplaced. And no more addictive gear whine? There's something wrong with that... :(

Oh, I know. All things being equal, the VTEC was not part of the reason I got the '03, it was just part of the package. I really wanted the VFR for its overall package, but in particular, the excellent ABS brakes, fully adjustable suspension and the hard saddlebags. Also I just plane like the looks better than the 5th gen. VFRs and since it really is about 90% 98-01 VFR, that was just a fine with me.

I am actually suprised the VTEC has hung on and is actually expanding into Hondas line with the ST and the new (rummored) CBR1300XX. With all the flack that Honda seems to get for it I thought it would fade out like one of those fad things. WHo knew, it might just be here to stay. Rumor has it that the new Silver Wings are going to get it too.

I agree with you Scott about the complexity issue (must be the mech eng thing), thats why I still love the SVS. Kind of a throw back because it is so easy to work on any part of the bike (well, except maybe the rear spark plug :? ) I work on my '93 Chevy truck when it needs it but wont even think about touching Ellen's MDX, the engine compartment on that thing is so jam packed that getting a screw drive in is nearly impossible.

Anyway, I guess to each his own, and that is what is great about motorcycle riding and why when we get together a talk bike, we all have our stories and advice. I love it all. :bigokay:

I am actually suprised the VTEC has hung on and is actually expanding into Hondas line with the ST and the new (rummored) CBR1300XX. With all the flack that Honda seems to get for it I thought it would fade out like one of those fad things. WHo knew, it might just be here to stay. Rumor has it that the new Silver Wings are going to get it too.

:tab Well, for Honda to remove it from the VFR or to not use it in other bikes would require them to basically admit that they made a mistake. Historically, this is not something that Honda is quick to do. Also, I have no hard facts, but I have heard that part of the real reason the Vtec was used is for emissions purposes. Who knows?

:tab Is the suspension on your VFR actually fully adjustable?? I thought it was just like the previous gen: front is preload only, rear is preload and compression. If it is fully adjustable, THAT is a big feature over the 5th gen VFR. It saves having to toss another $1500 at the bike to do the Race Tech/Ohlins treatment. The ABS would be nice. I have read that it actually works very well. I would prefer though that the brakes be de-linked. For normal DRY street riding it is not a real issue. But there are lots of times that I don't want ANY back brake or ANY front brake applied and that is just not possible with the linked brakes. Don't even get me started on bleeding the !@#$%$ things!

Adios,

Is the suspension on your VFR actually fully adjustable?? I thought it was just like the previous gen: front is preload only, rear is preload and compression. If it is fully adjustable, THAT is a big feature over the 5th gen VFR. It saves having to toss another $1500 at the bike to do the Race Tech/Ohlins treatment. The ABS would be nice. I have read that it actually works very well. I would prefer though that the brakes be de-linked. For normal DRY street riding it is not a real issue. But there are lots of times that I don't want ANY back brake or ANY front brake applied and that is just not possible with the linked brakes. Don't even get me started on bleeding the !@#$%$ things!

You are right about the front, preload only, but the rear is fully adjustable when you get the ABS. From what I have read, Honda's ABS is the best going right now, even better than BMW. The LBS combined with the ABS seems to work great, but you are right, without the ABS then I would rather not have the LBS. And the worst thing is that I really wanted to do the SS line set-up, but it requires like 9 different lines, what a royal pain in the ****!!!!

Back