• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Decisions

Reaction score
Well I've made a lot of decisions in the last month and a half and :? I have many more yet to make. One thing I have at least given thought to is not selling my bike. Mark loved the fact that I got on my own bike and he showed me how to love it :-D . He would be disappointed to know I let his accident stop me. So I have decided to keep riding; but not until I have taken the rider safety course this spring or at least when it warms up a bit. Two things I'd like to ask of anyone that is willing; one is I'd like a buddy to perhaps take or re-take this course with me ( I am a bit nervous), second is I need somebody to stop by and take Ingrid out to keep her in good condition every now and again. She's a fun little ride with a nice innocent punch. Perhaps Scott or Paul wouldn't mind riding her. She won't embarass you men cause she can be quite impressive with the acceleration. You should have seen some of the looks Mark used to get when they realized a "scooter" was passing them :oops: .

I'm doing better now thanks to friends.

Kim

Glad to hear you've reconsidered. Where are you taking the course?

Saftey Course

Kim,

When do you think about taking the course? I haven't taken it before but probably could use the insurance break with all my bikes. Plus BMW will refund the course. Just let me know.

Mark's Gal said:
You should have seen some of the looks Mark used to get when they realized a "scooter" was passing them :oops: .

Mind if I ask what kind of scooter she is? And how big are the wheels?

One suggestion I would make, if you are going to continue to ride, replace the scooter at some time in the future with a true motorcycle.

I am not saying this to talk bad about your scooter. Or anybodies bike in particular, it is just most scooters usually have small diameter wheels. This is the source of multiple problems. First of all, small wheels are more easily upset by bumps or objects in the roads. Secondly, the rotational stability provided by the wheel of a normal motorcycle is pretty negligible on a scooter.

I think it is great you are not going to give up on riding. I think it is even better that you are going to attend a beginner rider's course. I think it is one of the best ways to begin your riding career.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Well Chris she is no little scooter, her wheels are close to or the same diameter as a "real motorcycle". She is a Suzuki Burgman 650 thus the name Ingrid. Actually Mark said she handled the curves better than his VFR.

Key Features
All-new 650cc scooter that combines innovative styling, features and class-leading performance.
Engine Features
Powerful liquid-cooled, 638cc, DOHC, 8-valve, twin-cylinder engine - designed to produce responsive power under a wide range of riding situations.
Electronic fuel injection system with 32-bit ECM, provides easy engine starts, precise throttle response, reduced fuel consumption, and low emissions.
Direct-type valve actuation system and downdraft intake (similar to GSX-R models) for strong engine performance.
Dual gear-driven countershaft system to reduce engine vibration.
Electronically-controlled pulsed-air injection system (PAIR), helps reduce emissions.
Convenient electric starting system with maintenance-free battery
Suzuki Electronically-Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission - using a handlebar control switch, the rider can choose between two fully automatic modes (power or normal), or a manual shift mode.
High-efficiency liquid-cooling system includes thermostatically-controlled fan and liquid-cooled oil cooler for consistent engine temperature under all operating conditions.
Attractive stainless steel exhaust system provides quiet operation and features a chrome muffler end-cap for improved appearance and high heat resistant.
Chassis Features
Stylish bodywork with dual multi-reflector headlights, large rear-view mirrors with built-in front turn signals, and bright combination taillight/brake light with integrated rear turn signals.
High-tensile steel-tube frame designed for strength and rigidity.
Telescopic front fork with 41mm inner tubes, provides 105mm of wheel travel for sport performance and a comfortable ride.
Swingarm-style rear suspension features twin preload-adjustable shock absorbers and a separate aluminum swingarm - allows optimum engine placement and forward weight distribution.
Dual front disc brakes with 260mm rotors and twin-piston calipers, rear disc brake with 250mm rotor and twin-piston caliper - rear brake includes lever-operated parking brake system.
Lightweight five-spoke aluminum wheels with radial tires - F: 3.50 x 15 with 120/70-R15 tire, R: 4.5 x 14 with 160/70-R14 tire.
Utility/Convenience Features
Automotive-style instrument display with digital LCD tachometer, speedometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, odometer/tripmeters, clock, plus shift-position indicator and oil level/oil change indicator
Large, illuminated 56-liter under-sear storage space - large enough for two full-face helmets.
Convenient front glovebox compartment with DC- electrical accessory outlet, plus two additional storage compartments above the glovebox.
Large, comfortable seat with convenient lever-adjustable rider backrest.
Cut-away floorboards provide more space for rider's legs when putting feet down.
Tamper-resistant magnetic ignition switch cover for added security - ignition switch includes built-in seat latch operation.

Umm, Kim, I live in Pinehurst and I would like to take the course, never did, and besides the inherents benefits of the course, now it'll be easier to get my M license.

I work Monday thru Saturday, so the one on Saturday and Sunday would be ok, I can take one day off, but not two :evil:

Let me know!!

Also, can i ride your Scooter? I promise I'll take care of it,no wheelies or stoppies :mrgreen:

I knew you just wanted to ride my scooter. Men are all alike. :)

I'll let you know when I decide the dates -- it would have to be a weekend for me as well.

Anybody else that wants to take it with us is more than welcome.

How many posts do I have to make before I can kick the "newbie".

It's a secret :wink: Anyways, I think I will remove the rankings. Not much point in them and everyone hates being labeled a "newbie" hehe.

No offense to Leo, but Kim, don't let anyone ride the scooter if they don't have a license. In the event of an accident, your insurance company would likely deny coverage if the rider was unlicensed.

Leo, what the heck are you doing!? Get your freaking license :P As I just mentioned, if you get in an accident and the insurance company finds out you don't have a motorcycle endorsement, they will probably deny you coverage. Of course, I am assuming you have insurance... :|

Oh and one point of note... The VFR Kim refers to is actually a VF1000R from the mid eighties. It would not surprise me in the least if the Burg handled better! It is much lighter and probably has better suspension. I think for me the body position would take a little getting used to hehe.

Kim, it is cool that you have decided to keep riding. I have Beth's bike back together now. Perhaps when it warms up again, the TWT ladies might do some group riding? I am sure Beth and Deb would be up for it and there are a lot of other ladies on this site, quiet though they may be.

Adios,

Burgman

Kim,

The Suzuki Burgman 650 ain't your father's scooter! Like the old car ads. I have read nothing but good comments about your Ingrid. Most of the testers are hesitant to ride it then when they do what a hoot! Congratulations on continuing your riding and going the right way to MSF. I'd ride with you any old day.

I have up 'til April I believe before my BMW Rebate for MSF is in affect. My daughter took it in Magnolia on a Wednesday and Thursday. I believe there were only 4 people. She is still green but she is starting on a Honda 250 Nighthawk. She tried my V-Star 650 but I believe it was too heavy for her. Now all she can talk about is new ridng gear and when are we going to ride next.

Don't worry Scott, Mark did teach me plenty. :P I'd never let anyone ride my bike without a motorcycle license. That's why I had suggested you or Paul.

Leo, I'll let you ride it after you get your license. :shock:

Maybe :mrgreen:

Kim

Mark's Gal said:
...I need somebody to stop by and take Ingrid out to keep her in good condition every now and again. She's a fun little ride with a nice innocent punch. Perhaps Scott or Paul wouldn't mind riding her.

Would I mind? Heck no! Ingrid's a classy lady and I promise that I'll treat her with respect.
:angel: - No, really! :mrgreen: :wink:

It's great that you're going to continue riding, but anyone that knows you probably won't be too surprised to hear this. You've got a lot of heart, Kim.
8)

Cool, I have never heard of a 650cc scooter before. Of course I haven't read MC magazines in a few years. I have seen guys on the freeway in the bigger honda scooters and it scared me. I don't think their wheels are any bigger than the 80cc honda elite I bought my wife a thousand years ago.

Speaking of which, it hasn't been ridden in over 10 years. It is 1986 model. After reading about your scooter earlier, I decided it is time to revive it. First thing I am going to have to do is do some gas tank remidation....

Good luck with the course. Another place that might still offer it is TAMU. When I went there in the early 80's they taught a course to teach people to be MSF instructors. I slipped it into my curriculum because it was called Safety Engineering. What a blast that was.

Anyway, hope to see you out there on that HayaScooter sometime.

Mark's Gal said:
I don't know Paul, that looked awful suspicious. :shock:

I can get you some references... :wink:

Magnolia? hey post-up when a date is set. My wife will need a refresher B4 she starts riding. She took it about 2 years ago w/ me & never got her own ride. She will soon be recieving my SV as I move up a little :chug: :twisted:

Back