• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What not to do-

He's probably just celebrating having to go to work at a brand new dealership on Monday!

Good luck JFF!

jeffie foo-foo said:
Texas T said:
Philip, Harbor Freight has some Fiamm high/low horns for $10 each. I'm thinking about doing this on the Connie.

Do it. If you need a hand, lemme know.
Picked them up today. Off to AZ on Tuesday so it's doubtful I'll get around to hooking them up for a while.

Just a word of caution, I commute to downtown for work and usually only take the bike on weekends. I went in last week and took the HOV lane and GOT PASSED by a big old black Expedition in the HOV lane.
There must have been some kind of emergency, I really thought 70 was plenty fast enough :>)

BrutusTx said:
took the HOV lane and GOT PASSED by a big old black Expedition in the HOV lane.

You gotta be kidding! ':angryfir:'

You're a better man than me. I think I'd have bit my tongue in half trying to choke off the anger that would cause me. Thankfully, common sense usually kicks in on those type situations after a moment or two.

BrutusTx said:
Just a word of caution, I commute to downtown for work and usually only take the bike on weekends. I went in last week and took the HOV lane and GOT PASSED by a big old black Expedition in the HOV lane.
There must have been some kind of emergency, I really thought 70 was plenty fast enough :>)

PASSED IN THE HOV LANE!!?? I think that's illegal or something. :angryfir:

jeffie foo-foo said:
PASSED IN THE HOV LANE!!?? I think that's illegal or something. :angryfir:
Yes, it is. What I want to know is how he passed Brutus. There's only room for two vehicles side by side in an HOV lane and that's only if you're up against one wall. If you're riding in the middle of your lane how can someone get by you?

I've passed in the HOV while riding the bike... I'll wait for one of the "on ramp" areas and go around the slow pokes doing 60 mph while I-45 is moving at 75-80. Or in some cases (very rare) the slow poke will move to the right side of the HOV lane and wave me on by. They always get a big thumbs-up wave from me as I go past.
:bigokay:

STrider said:
I know I did the wrong thing, but for some reason, I get irritated when people take my life into their hands.

That's about how I would have handled it. I commute in this *#@%hole every day, I know what it's like. Everyone here seems to have some kind of chip on their shoulder. Always trying to prove what a bad[expletive removed] they are. A turn signal here is seen as some sort of weakness - can't properly outdo your opponent if you signal.

Gilk51 said:
(I ordered the middle one last night - not sure what the differences are)
Looks like about 4 bucks but I never did see what the shipping runs. Be sure and let us know how well the thing works - I think I have a spot all picked out. 8-)

Gilk51 said:
Oh... I like that! I wished I'd seen that before I bought those Fiamms at Harbor Freight on Saturday. :-(

Just got an email that said they are on back order but thay expect a shipment on May 1st or so...

Funny, that's a Sunday... :-?

Oh, sorry, my total bill was $42.50, so that is about $7 or so for shipping.

They have a warning about testing this thing while in the garage... ;-)

Gilk51 said:
I like that horn. I emailed myself a link
Saw this a little later - compact horns:

link to horns

Thanks. I saved that link too. I went to the shop and got sidetracked -- funny how that happens. My mower runs now, and my trailer's rewired, but I still don't know if I can mount that horn on the ZRX -- and that's why I went out there :roll:

Maybe tomorrow night ;-)

The 'Strom has quite a bit of space under the cowl & several folks mounted the larger horn under there without any interference. One guy had his mounted on the engine guards but moved it when others were successful using the cowl space.

The compact horn should be easier to find a mounting spot...

I can't find a place on the ZRX to put the horn out of sight unless I put it under the seat. Has anyone put one under the seat? Can you hear it ok? Does it -- uh -- feel funny when you honk it? :eek:

Lots of folks (at least two) put air horns in the underseat cowl space of their VTRs...nobody expressed any apprehension at, ahem, unusual reverberations upon honking one out...

:lol:

Of course those silky smooth fours might not have taught you how to deal with excessive vibration :nana

uberhawk said:
Lots of folks (at least two) put air horns in the underseat cowl space of their VTRs...nobody expressed any apprehension at, ahem, unusual reverberations upon honking one out...

:lol:

Of course those silky smooth fours might not have taught you how to deal with excessive vibration :nana
Maybe the ZRX buzz will help mask the horn buzz ;-)

WeekendWarrior said:
Are we allowed to ride in the HOV lane as a single?? -WW

You are allowed to in Dallas' HOV lanes. Probably is state-wide...

Yessir, motorcycles are permitted to ride the HOV at any time of day, regardless of solo or with a passenger. Thank the AMA (I think) for that one!

Back