• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Waterwood Riding

Scrat

Reaction score
Howdy!

I hope one and all had a wonderful Christmas and were as blessed as me and my family.

I just have a question. I was out riding a little bit Saturday when I ran across 3 sport bikes coming up Waterwood parkway and I was curious if it was anyone from this forum. The bikes looked a little familiar and I thought I may have seen pics of them from this site. All seemed to be good riders and I don't get to see a lot of that from sport bikers. Of course, I'm not around sport bikes much.

Happy New Year y'all!

KC

Howdy KC,

:tab That would have been me on the lead bike, the red VFR with the big black case on the back. Debbie "Snoopster" McMullen was in the middle on her GS 500E, and Paul "Scratch" Massie was bringing up the rear on the Triumph Sprint RS. We were nearing the tailend of our ride for the day. We looped down to Montgomery, cut across FM 1375 to New Waverly, ran Hwy 150 over to Coldspring, then up FM 224 along the West side of Lake Livingston, back down to the start of FM 946 and up to US 190, the over to Waterwood and FM 980 back to Riverside. Normally, I would just run 980 all the way back to Huntsville. We decided it was so nice and still early so we ran up to Trinity and rode FM 230 out to FM 3478 and then back over to 980 near the Estelle unit. The weather was fantastic but a tad windy at times. Waterwood Parkway is a regular run for me if I get out that direction. The long fast sweepers are just great fun!

Adios,

That's a real purdy Harley you've got there, KC! 8)

You should join us on one of our rides sometime, if you think you'd be interested. None of us indulge too much in the squidly stuff. :angel: :mrgreen:

Hope you have a great New Year too!

Scott,

I had a feeling that might have been you! I started to 'visit' with ya there at the stop sign and find out but I needed to get back to the house. I was just out warming the bike up. I haven't had a chance to ride much in the last week and I was feeling a bit 'fidgety'. I plan to do some riding this week though.

Sorry that I didn't get the chance to visit. You are most definitely right about Waterwood parkway! I love that ride and when I don't have time for a real ride I will make the loop around 980 and up the parkway.

Hope I didn't offend y'all by just falling in with ya but y'all were doing a good job and I like to ride with folks who 'do it right'. I do quite a bit of group riding and like it when the group knows what they are doing. Too bad that pickup was running slow in front ... the road is designed to be travelled faster than that.

Glad y'all had a good safe ride! Enjoy your New Year.

cya
KC

Yo Scratch!

Thankee very much. I love my bike and would be happy to ride with y'all sometime. If, that is, you don't mind a bike with 'somewhat' loud pipes. Mine aren't over the top (I don't think) but they are louder than y'alls bikes were. I could ride in the back ... I won't embarass you .... I promise! LOL

I was impressed with y'alls riding. Good placement of bikes along with good control .... good job!

Let me know when y'all are going to be making a ride (I will watch the board too) and I will try to find a time where I can go. Between riding with Cut-N-Shoot HOG and being road captain for CMA it is hard sometimes to find time to make other rides.

Good seeing y'all on the road.

KC

Oh yeah,

FM 224 there by Cape Royale is another of my favorite rides. The part from the Cape to Hwy 156 down by Cold Spring is a great ride. Another good one is FM 355 off of 356 to Groveton.

KC

Hope I didn't offend y'all by just falling in with ya

:tab Not at all. I often do the same thing when I am out running alone and come up on a group. Some of the coolest rides have been with people I've never even met. Several times I have ridden for a few hours with another rider and then parted ways on the road with just a wave. Kind of cool. I usually try to stop and talk a few minutes if possible though.

:tab My only serious hangup is the helmet issue. I have seen to many accidents where a helmet would have made all the difference in the world. I personally don't want to be on the scene when someone goes down without one. A rashed face is not pretty and is often life threatening. Lest someone think their face won't hit the ground, just look at full faced helmets that have been down. Quite often the chinbars are pretty banged up. Even a 3/4 open face helmet won't help there. :roll:

:tab So I require a helmet for group rides I organize. The other stuff is up to you but I highly recommend a good jacket, gloves and boots at a minimum. I've seen them make a big difference for others and myself personally.

:tab Do you ever head East over towards FM 350, 942, 1745, 62, and 256? Those are all nice roads for riding. Check my write up for the Post Xmas Ride for all the roads we hit. You are close to some really nice riding areas.

Adios,

Scott,

I probably wear my helmet 50% of the time. I have a 1/2 helmet and feel better in it than I do with a full face or even a 3/4 helmet. I can hear and see really well.

I know that I would be much better off with my head on if I went down but sometimes the call of the wild is just too much! LOL Not a good excuse I know but really the only one I have.

I went down about 2 1/2 years ago with my 1/2 helmet on and broke my neck. Didn't mess my face up too badly (No, really, that is the way I look ALL the time!) but I was really glad I had my brain pan on. It took a beating and saved me some skin on top of my head.

As for the other safety gear, I wear my leather jacket when it is comfortable to wear, never ride in shorts, always wear heavy boots and usually have on some type of glove. Not to mention that I ride very conservatively.

Hmmmm I will have to look at my map about those roads that you mentioned. I ride more by landmark around here than I do by highway signs. I have probably been on them. I ride roughly 15k/year and a lot of that is done right around here. I love riding the lake. One of the best rides I have taken in the last couple of years was from Lake Livingston to Rayburn to Toledo Bend and then back via a north route.

Let me know next time you are going to be riding this area .... I would love to tag along and meet some new riders!

cya
KC

Back