• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strange noise coming from my Ohlins shock

dower

Reaction score
First Name
Will
After a long ride home from Eureka Springs, I noticed my rear ohlins was making a high pitched noise. Very similar to a tuning fork. I assume that the oils in it were extremely hot for the R1 is a heat factory. Is this noise normal? Will the heat from the motor cause any damage to the shock or just need to be rebuilt sooner?

Thanks in advance.

:chug:

:tab Is there an R1 forum out there? If this is common, I would think there would be a few threads about it and you might actually find someone that knows what is going on :shrug: How do you know the sound is coming from the shock? Hmm... Yamaha... Tuning fork sounds... :lol:

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab Is there an R1 forum out there? If this is common, I would think there would be a few threads about it and you might actually find someone that knows what is going on :shrug:
I searched the R1 forum before posting here. It seems most users on it are into upgrading the exhaust, and polishing the frame. :lol: Thought I would ask here, before posting there.
Tourmeister said:
How do you know the sound is coming from the shock? Hmm... Yamaha... Tuning fork sounds... :lol:
When I grab the shock, the sound stops.

Does Ohlins have a tech support line in the US? If not, maybe one of the race tuning shops would answer a phone call. All I can think of would be to retorque the nuts and bolts that reside in that area. Are there any spacers that could have come out or loose?

Why dont you call or email Patrick. He could, at the very least, let you know if he has heard of this problem before.

Patrick
hartsracing@yahoo.com

dower said:
When I grab the shock, the sound stops.

You're positive that your glove or arm didn't come in contact with anything else down there? For the shock to be making a sound with a steady pitch like that seems a little strange, since it's in constant, varying motion while you're riding. An air leak in the exhaust pipe can give off strange sounds too sometimes.

Thermalser said:
Why dont you call or email Patrick. He could, at the very least, let you know if he has heard of this problem before.
Patrick actually installed it. I'm dropping by his shop tomorrow for some unrelated business ;-), so I'll ask then.

scratch said:
You're positive that your glove or arm didn't come in contact with anything else down there?
Yep, unfortunately, I'm positive. I even called the wifey out there to show her. It was a weird noise.

I'll see what Patrick says.

dower said:
scratch said:
You're positive that your glove or arm didn't come in contact with anything else down there?
Yep, unfortunately, I'm positive. I even called the wifey out there to show her. It was a weird noise.

So, it's making the noise when the bike is sitting motionless? Very strange indeed. :scratch

Back