• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ALL USERS BEWARE OF SPAMMER SPOOF EMAILS!!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab The Spammers are getting relentless. If you get an email similar to the following, DELETE IT!!! It is NOT from the TWTEX site despite the spoofed address :angryfie:

Dear Twtex Member,
:tab Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.<BR>
If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.
Virtually yours,
The Twtex Support Team

+++ Attachment: No Virus found
+++ Twtex Antivirus - www.twtex.com

Your membership will NOT be deleted.

Just got notice from PayPal wanting me to confirm and add bank and credit card data. The link was dead. Interesting.

I get those from PayPal all the time, and the bank I work at is constantly finding out that it's name was used in phishing emails.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with these is that even if you think the request is legit, NEVER use a link provided in the email. Log into the bank/service through the same website you always have (www.paypal.com) and there will be something there for you asking the same thing if it is for real.

Squeaky said:
INEVER use a link provided in the email. Log into the bank/service through the same website you always have (www.paypal.com) and there will be something there for you asking the same thing if it is for real.

So right. Forgot to mention that...

:tab I have been seeing emails from: admin, info, contact, support, and similar names all from the twtex.com domain. It really peeves me that people can do this and there is nothing I can do to stop them :angryfir: If something is not done, SPAM will be the death of email. I already have to delete 40-50 emails per day for each of my accounts (7-8 of them), and these are the emails that make it through the server side filters!!

We've been getting a lot of these at work as well - almost the identical text. Mostly phishing with nonexistant but common email user names that bounce to the admin account.

The IP source is always the same for the ones coming at us, so we just put it in the firewall filter and it seems to have helped. But still, it is really getting annoying. I'm afraid that some of our more inexperienced users are going to fall for it - grrrrrrrrr....

Aileron said:
so we just put it in the firewall filter

You mean an anti-spam relay host, or are you really using the firewall? Just curious.

I got the supposid paypal one. Says they're going to close my account if I don't update data. Well, using some logic here, they're going to close my account and I have a small balance in there? They'd better cut me a check! :roll:

Then, I got one from my friend Arpad saying he has applied for a birthday list, would I go there and fill it out. I went there, filled it out till I got to the last question wanting me to enter my hotmail password! Never, ever, give anyone passwords! I closed and deleted that e-m, wrote Arpad telling him he had a virus. It gets into your buddy list and sends out such e-ms making the recipient think it's from you. He had found it, thought his norton antivirus had killed it. He's now trying to rid himself of that one.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but it sure had become a mecca for crooks.

HiSPL said:
Macs ROCK! :dude:

Except when none of the software that you use (AutoCAD, 3DStudio) is written for Macs. If it did, then maybe Macs would be worth something more than just nice looking boxes. Although I would like the Mac 30" Cinema Display, a pair of them please for my PC :mrgreen:

This topic has absolutely nothing to do with a Mac/PC/Linux (or Outlook/IE) discussion. After all, most of these spammers/phishers are probably using Linux boxes because they are wanna-be techno geeks :roll:

whoa said:
Aileron said:
so we just put it in the firewall filter

You mean an anti-spam relay host, or are you really using the firewall? Just curious.

It's a server on Prodigy pinging us - same one everytime - so we just blocked anything in or out that had to do with it.

And, lo and behold - just now a client got spoofed by the &*^%!! thing thinking it came from us (same server/IP as the others).

Double grrrrrrr......

Regarding MAC's, that is not the issue. The main issue is simply the use of the twtex.com domain to send spam. I don't want our domain associated with spam. I don't want people just blocking anything and everything that comes from twtex.com. If that happens, eventually it will cripple the forums on the net because they rely so heavily on the use of emails. MAC's get spam just like everyone else. Now if you are talking about viruses in particular... MAC's are great ;-)

I sent a few $$$ to spamcop.net and forward some spam that my mail filter doesn't catch to them, to report to folks that might care. At least I feel like I'm doing something about it. :-)

Nobody ever sends you an email asking you to go fill out a form of your personal info. Never go to a link in email and give out info even if it is legit, it's deplorabe busines practice and should never be done.

This is ALWAYS an attempt at identity theft.

Back