• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

dual-star heated grips

brd

Reaction score
Well, after a year, I finally broke down and put some heated grips on the VFR. I had the Triumph factory grips on the Sprint and really liked them and found that I used them much more than I anticipated I would.

This time, though, I bought a set of Dual-Star elements. They're flat resistor elements that you put underneath your stock grips. They only cost $30 (plus I spent another $30 at Pep Boyz buying a relay, fuseblock and some electrical parts to put all my accessories on a switched connection to the battery that is only on when the key is on).

This morning it was around 30F as I left the house for the 25 mile ride to work. Verdict: the grips work. Even through my heavy gloves, I could feel the heat. I won't say my hands were toasty, because they weren't, but they didn't get cold.

The only problem. My freakin thumbs were freezing! I don't remember having this problem with the Triumph, but the tips of them stick out in the breeze and were popsicles by the time I got to work.

Coming home after dark it was even colder.

I think I may have to take the cage tomorrow. I used to think I was hardcore, too. :oops:

I've been wanting to do this to the VFR. Kim's bike has heated grips and I love em.

Today it was 19 when I left for my 15 miles ride. Hands were ok, but the tips of my fingers were a little numb.

Might have to hook up with you and check out the install.

Cheers,
Pete

I also installed the Dual-Stars on my VFR and love them. Same deal on the thumb. I think it's just the way they are "out there" on the bike. Easy to install ; and I can still use my old "thumb style" throttle lock. I'm getting a set for the Connie. Tell me about the relay.- brand, install etc. With all my extras, my battery is probably dissin' when I use the electric vest.

brd said:
Well, after a year, I finally broke down and put some heated grips on the VFR. I had the Triumph factory grips on the Sprint and really liked them and found that I used them much more than I anticipated I would.

So Brian, do you think you would be up to helping me put them on the TL or EX500 one of these days?

cheers,
Tom

tom said:
brd said:

So Brian, do you think you would be up to helping me put them on the TL or EX500 one of these days?

cheers,
Tom

I'd be interested in adding these to the VFR also. I'm adding Heli Bars during Scott's maint day, but maybe after that I'll do the heated grips. Did you use your stock grips? Anyone recommend a good gel grip that will work with the heating elements? Would be nice to have for my road trip in March.

Pete

P.S.
Tom
Kim and I need to get together with you and the misses and plan a ride one of these weekends.

Tell me about the relay.- brand, install etc. With all my extras, my battery is probably dissin' when I use the electric vest.

:tab If the heated grips are the only electrical accessory you will have on the bike, then you can wire up a fused relay circuit directly to the battery. This is what I did on our 98 VFR:

http://www.sfriday.com/VFR800/hotgrips.htm

If you plan on having more that just the grips, then you might want to get a wiring block to attach everything to instead of going dorectly to the battery. The wiring block is just a strip with common ground and hot leads. Use a 30amp fuse to the block. Use the relay to switch the block on and off when the ignition is on/off. I used my taillight hot wire to power the relay.

Adios,

I just used regular old Pro-Grip brand gel grips on my VFR with the Kimpex grip heaters. They transmit plenty of heat. I also wired it up with a micro switch and relays instead of the huge industrial sized switch that the kit came with. The left grip doesn't get as hot as the right because of the heat transfer into the bar where as the right is on the plastic throttle sleeve. This isn't supposed to be an issue with the Dual Stars because of their different resistance values for each heating element. I'm probably just going to experiment with resistors until I get it more equal.

:tab Some people wrap duct tape around the left bar before putting the heating element on. This helps insulate the left bar to prevent the heat transfer you speak of. The Hot Grips did not have this problem. They also cost a LOT more than the Kimpex and DualStar type heating elements. ;-)

Adios,

You can use the stock VFR grips. If you use the two part epoxy like Dual-Star suggests; BE QUICK!

Back