• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Top Ten MC Roads in Texas

Yeeha! Stephen said:
My fav Buchanan ride - 2341 North from 29 all the way out to the Eagle park. Nice curves along the edge of the lake run into a dead end, so you have to turn around and do it again! :)

I followed a bunch of R1150S's on that road. We thought we could hook up to to 1478 and get over to Colorado Bend, but like you say, got stopped at the Eagle park (we didn't venture very far to find that little road

Also another fav almost never mentioned, so I end up thinking it's a secret... 473 from the Blanco area of 281 west through Sisterdale and on to Comfort. Best early in the a.m. as the sun comes up over your shoulder.

A few years ago, I asked Miguel, the founder of TexMoto magazine (we used to work together at IBM), what the fastest way to Comfort was. He said 473. I agree, that's a fun road.

irondawg said:
Some, like me, like a mix with a few roads thrown in for scenery like Cow Creek,...

I take this every once in a while, but it's in a perpetual state of construction. OK if you've got a GS ;) , but my Futura yearns to go a bit above 15 mph. You're right, great scenery, though.

:? Irondawg,

Sorry, I have no idea how I posted as guest. I thought I was me? I did post an introduction on new years.

Street riding is on the VTR1000. I'm sure LCR is better during the week. I have two things going against it that most people probably don't have. One, the buddy who lives there who HATES the endless motorcycle traffic. Just like in my JetSki days I tried to stay away from fisherman, knowing that the residents hate the bike traffic takes a little of the fun out of going there.

Also, I was supposed to meet a fellow Superhawk rider in Austin "next weekend". "That weekend" he was killed on LCR by a pickup that ran wide while he was close to the line. I was profoundly affected, even only knowing him through email, it was like loosing a buddy.

Both my issues, but the fact that residents find it irritating probably means it's time to move on. IMHO.

Daryl

Howdy,

:tab You know, I have been thinking like Daryl a lot lately. When I go through neighborhoods, I start thinking about the people that live there and how much it must suck if they live on a raod really popular with sportbikers or cruisers. The cruisers are slow and loud, the sportbikes are fast and loud, and both of them seem to crash a lot. I can easily see how the locals would really get sick of it in a hurry.

:tab I remember the duplex we lived in before buying our house. It was on a 30mph residential street. However, our street was a popluar cut through between two major areas. On a regular basis, all makes and models of vehicles would come flying down the road at easily twice the posted limit. The noise alone was incredibly annoying.

:tab I find that now when I am in a residential area or on roads that I know a lot of bikes travel, I try to stay sane and not tick off the locals. FM 3090 between Carols and Navasota is a great example. I make sure that I don't speed and get on the throttle real heavy. They get enough of that from the A&M bike club squiddies ;-)

:tab LCR taken as just a road without concerns for the locals, other traffic, or the big dog, is a fun road. The problem is that we can't ride roads out of their context. All of those things are part of what makes up the road. Those of you that have been on an accident scene should be able to understand that seeing that on a regular basis has to affect you after a while.

Adios,

Between the quarry with blasting going on, the commercial truck traffic etc., It would suck to live on LCR. Here near Austin it is a challenge to find any place to do anything that doesn't offend someone.

uberhawk,

Hi, and sorry. Just get's me a little upset when someone adds their .02 and they don't have any posts on the site or are a guests.

Also, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Seems like we had a lot of that this past year.

LCR is a great road, but it's not for banzai runs. Ticks me off when I see squids crossing the center line just to go a little faster thru a turn. There's no need for that. There are other better roads with no traffic if you want to scrape pegs, but at no time should we be crossing the centerline.

Like you said, this is a residential road and we should treat it that way.

:tab Hehe, I think he means he doesn't like anonymous posters when they post something that might be challenged. Guests and Newbies are obviously welcome here. They gotta get started somehow before they get to be old timers. ;-)

Adios,

Yeah, those rags always leave out the E. Texas roads. Suits me just fine.

I do need to get out to Big Bend one of these days. Maybe when I get back from Deals gap this spring.

Dave

Dave Terre said:
I do need to get out to Big Bend one of these days. Maybe when I get back from Deals gap this spring.

Dave

Nice lookin' Bandit. When are you going to Deals Gap. If you are riding this way (Birmingham) I might be talked into joining you.

FM-455 North Texas

North of Dallas between I-35E and I-75. It continues west of I-75 but haven't gone on it that far.

Every time I see a poll about the best roads in Texas, I see the usual favorites. I even started filling out the poll from Ride Texas Magazine, but got caught up in different style roads. I agree what makes a good road is not just the turns, or just the scenery,but it would have to be a combination of factors. Road surface, traffic, length of road, turns (tight and twisty, or huge sweepers) Riding a tight twisty road isn't much fun if you are dodging huge potholes, loose gravel in every turn (Lime Creek Rd) or stuck behind a Kia doing 10mph under the speed limit. This is what makes the Presidio to Study Butte run one of the top roads. It has good surface, nice hills, tight turns, very little traffic and some stunning scenery. I didn't see 473 mentioned and last time I was on that, I was one of 4 motorcycles out there, absolutely NO cars, and no LEO patrol. Rode 1488 from Hempstead to Magnolia and Dayum! What a nice road, but the traffic so close to Houston gets a bit depressing.

Chris- 2 cents lighter
I could continue this discussion for hours.

Chris-

So, I got my Ride Texas Magazine today, and here are the 2004 Best in Texas Roads:

North
1. FM 4 - Jacksboro to Cleburne
2. FM 455 - Nontague to Celina
3. FM 51 - Glen Rose to Decatur
4. FM 697 - Sherman to Whitewright
5. FM 410 - Bogata to Silver City

East
1. SH 87 - Galveston to Timpson
2. FM 149 - Tomball to Anderson
3. FM 729 - Jefferson to Lone Star
4. SH 7 - Joaquin to Bruceville
5. FM 3090 - Navasota to Carlos

West
1. FM 170 - Study Butte/Terlingua to Presidio
2. SH 118 - Kent to Study Butte
3. Palo Duro Canyon Rd - Palo Duro Canyon
4. SH 70 - San Angelo to Perryton
5. SH 17 - Marfa to Pecos

Central
1. FM 337 - Medina to Camp Wood (voted Best Overall)
2. FM 1431 - Round Rock to Lake Buchanan (this was buck000's #1, actually)
3. FM 335 - Camp Wood to SH 41
4. FM 336 - Leakey to SH41
5. SH 16 - Antelope to Zapata (bisects state)

South
1. SH 35 - Houston to Corpus Christi
2. Ocean Drive - Corpus Christi
3. FM 466 - Seguin to Cost
4. Park Road 100 - South Padre Island
5. FM 762 - Richmond to Brazos Bend Stae Park

Discuss (or send your irate Letter to the Editor) :-D

I really must be missing an important point to this poll.
For example: SH16 bisects the state, that is true. But the only section that I am aware of that is any fun at all is the short stretch between Bandera and Kerrville. Why list a road that is straight as an arrow for 175 miles? (South of San Antonio)
I propose the _best sections_ be listed for each road.
Another example: 1431 from Round Rock to Lake Buchanan. Round Rock? Give me a break!! I challenge anyone to ride 1431 from Round Rock to Cedar Park and say "Wow, what a great ride!" You might as well put your bike on IH35 in downtown Austin and enjoy that. Crikey!

Chris-not getting it..

Hehe... Okay Chris, you have to understand that the readership of Ride Texas is predominately cruisers. The definition of a good road is not so much dependent on the road itself and its' curviness. It a more big picture touchy feely thing :-P So if all the cruisers want to clog up Hwy 16 leaving the good roads to the rest of us... well, I am not gonna complain about that! :mrgreen:

Adios,

Back