• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Event Calendar

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
I thought a calendar of all the major events planned for 2009 might be useful, so here it is. I'll keep it updated the best I can. More information on any of these events can be found on my web site - Texas Adventure

February: Uncle's Around the Bend, Big Bend (Terlingua, TX), Feb. 19 - 22, 2009. This rally is open to all motorcyclist, not just dual sport bikes. The weather in late Feb in the Big Bend region is usually very nice. Uncle says feel free to come out a few days or weeks early and/or stay a few days or weeks after.

April: Texas Adventure Ride, Juction, TX, April 2-5, 2009. This annual dual sport adventure rally is the largest in Texas and includes a bunch of the finest dual sport roads in the entire State.

May: Adventure Quest, Clarksville, AR, Memorial Day weekend, May 23-24, 2009. With all the mountains and dirt roads in northwest Arkansas, there's bound to be some fine dual sport riding there. Our quest is to find it.

September: Beyond EPIC Hill Country 600, Labor Day weekend, Sep 5-6, 2009. A dual sport adventure tour leaving Austin on Saturday morning, overnighting in Junction, TX, and returning to Austin on Sunday.

October: MexTrek 2009, Galeana, Mexico, Oct 14-17, 2009. An annual dual sport adventure ride in the mountains of the Sierra Leon region (the mountains south of Monterrey, Mexico). The riding there is absolutely phenomenal!

Last edited:
Re: 2009 Event Calendar

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful!

I do plan on making some of these venues. They all look great. Sometimes, my
TSCEC enduro rides may conflict- but I'll be there when I can. My interest is more off road oriented DSing. So, hopefully, some of these events (or non-events) will satisfy my need for pounding sand.

But with a new-to-me bike, I can't wait 'til February!

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful!

I do plan on making some of these venues. They all look great. Sometimes, my
TSCEC enduro rides may conflict- but I'll be there when I can. My interest is more off road oriented DSing. So, hopefully, some of these events (or non-events) will satisfy my need for pounding sand.

But with a new-to-me bike, I can't wait 'til February!

Stan,

For true off-road dual sport riding (vs. off-pavement riding) I suggest the Arkansas (Adventure Quest) and Mexico (MexTrek) events. Northwest Arkansas has several OHV areas with some tough single track & ATV trails you can play on. Mexico has some class 3 and 4 logging roads/trails that several riders like to go explore during MexTrek.

If you can't wait until Feb, you could always join the Desert Rats in Big Bend over the Christmas Holidays. Lots of good riding in Big Bend if you have a street legal dirt bike and the weather is usually pleasant enough for riding. Last year quite a few riders spend the holidays at Uncle's place in Big Bend. It was so much fun, it has morphed into the 2nd annual Desert Rats in Big Bend at Christmas. It's not an organized event or anything; just a "show up when you can, stay as long as you like, do what you feel like doing, leave when you have to" thing. Whatever works for you. Last year it seemed most of the riders pitched camped at Uncle's place or next door in Gareth Park and I expect the same will happen this year. Again, whatever works for you.

Last edited:
Re: 2009 Event Schedule & Calendar

May: Adventure Quest, Clarksville, AR, Memorial Day weekend, May 23-24, 2009. With all the mountains and dirt roads in northwest Arkansas, there's bound to be some fine dual sport riding there. Our quest is to find it.

Didn't see any info on this. I'm in on this one! :clap:

Just watch out for those @$%$# ATV's in Arkansas!! :angryfire

Richard, you need a spring Mexico trip :trust: Maybe in March?

Richard, you need a spring Mexico trip :trust: Maybe in March?

You are a genius and I like the way you think!

If I had enough vacation I'd run 8-10 rallies / tours per year, all over the southern half of the US and Mexico. Rallies/tours in AR, NM, CO, GA, TX, & Mexico. But, alas, my employer says nix on 30 vacation days per year.

One of these days I'm going go into the rally / tour business full time...

You are a genius and I like the way you think!

If I had enough vacation I'd run 8-10 rallies / tours per year, all over the southern half of the US and Mexico. Rallies/tours in AR, NM, CO, GA, TX, & Mexico. But, alas, my employer says nix on 30 vacation days per year.

One of these days I'm going go into the rally / tour business full time...

I wish you all the luck in the world at doing it full time. I think you'd be great at it. The only problem would be that I would not have time to attend them all :doh: :-P

Richard,
Could you make some Class 1/2 trail/gravel road options for the Arkansas ride? Just to bypass the rough trail sections? You know what I ride, and I'd rather not borrow something smaller just to navigate a few technical sections...
If not this year, maybe next year?
Thanks,

Richard,
Could you make some Class 1/2 trail/gravel road options for the Arkansas ride? Just to bypass the rough trail sections? You know what I ride, and I'd rather not borrow something smaller just to navigate a few technical trail sections...
If not this year, maybe next year?
Thanks,

Lori,

Absolutely. My goal is to have a variety of class 1, 2, & 3 routes available so that the event is suitable for all ds riders & bikes.

I noticed the dates for Mextreck 2009 on texasadventure.net look like they were based off a 2008 calendar. In 2009, 10/15 is a Thursday, but I assume it kicks off that Wednesday?

I noticed the dates for Mextreck 2009 on texasadventure.net look like they were based off a 2008 calendar. In 2009, 10/15 is a Thursday, but I assume it kicks off that Wednesday?

Oops. You're right. It starts Wed evening and ends Saturday, Oct 14 - 17, 2009.

Richard, would it be possible to add these events/dates into the "Calendar" section located in our "toolbar" above? I enjoy different riding styles, and this would be a nice central place to find them all, instead of having to poke through several different sections. Lemme know what you think.

That sounds like a fine idea. I don't have permissions to do that so I'll have to ask someone who does.

Richard, would it be possible to add these events/dates into the "Calendar" section located in our "toolbar" above? I enjoy different riding styles, and this would be a nice central place to find them all, instead of having to poke through several different sections. Lemme know what you think.

Any more info on this?

So, how do I sign up for the 2009 Mexico ride? Is it an organized tour or is it just a group riding together?

I'm a newby, otherwise I'd try to look it up.

Back