• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best place for suspension work in Austin?

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering where I could get reliable suspension work done here in Austin? With the little cash I'm getting back from my income tax, I think I'd like to throw it into some new springs for the front end and a new shock on the rear. Just need a place that does good work for a fair price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MsBhavin said:
Hey all, I was wondering where I could get reliable suspension work done here in Austin? With the little cash I'm getting back from my income tax, I think I'd like to throw it into some new springs for the front end and a new shock on the rear. Just need a place that does good work for a fair price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

You're going to want to set sag on that thing. You'll have to do that or be there to do it because it's an individual rider weight sorta thing. If you have preload adjustments, that's not a big deal. Otherwise, like on my SV, it entails cutting preload spacers a little at a time until you get it right. You can put springs in yourself, no biggy, and Race Tech emulators aren't hard to install. Could save a bunch of money doing it with Race Tech stuff. They have a fantastic suspension calculator on their site.

I agree with Jack but, if you dont want to do this yourself, give Paul Zabor at Zabor cycles a call. He does real good work at a good price and knows his SV's.

Thanks for the replies guys! I've heard good things about Zabor's and I think I may start going there for regular maintenance. It's only about 5 minutes, if that from where I live.

I'd love to attempt to install the stuff myself but I have little mechanical experience, not to mention I live in an apt where it's kind of hard to start taking things apart. I can't afford to be out of commission if something goes wrong. My SV is my only transportation. If I'm going to get it done, I need to get it right the first time.
:)

Paul Zabor ran me off with his lack of personality years ago. He is a top notch mechanic though. I use Johnny Cheese Performance in Pflugerville. He woked at Woods for years and then D&L after that. When they were bought out, he opened his own performance shop and has the only Dynojet dyno in the area that I know of. Several friends have given Johnny a try and use him exclusively now. Call him at (512) 990-0686. If you just want to swap springs and Shock, it is about a one hour job to do it yourself if you have the tools and stands. My Bandit has a center stand so I'm set.

I'm partial to AF1 Racing. Cool guys who do a great job, and not just on aprilia's. They're located more/less across the street from Ducati Austin... I'll likely have 'em rework my front-end and add a Wilbers shock some day, when I feel I need more awesome suspension...

buck000 said:
I'm partial to AF1 Racing. Cool guys who do a great job, and not just on aprilia's. They're located more/less across the street from Ducati Austin... I'll likely have 'em rework my front-end and add a Wilbers shock some day, when I feel I need more awesome suspension...

Yeah, I've heard of those guys, they're also pretty close by. I hear they have a dyno there, not that I'm in need or one. I may check them out as well.

buck000 said:
I'm partial to AF1 Racing. Cool guys who do a great job, and not just on aprilia's. They're located more/less across the street from Ducati Austin...

Hey, I was just there at AF1 racing last night. I went there during bike night to have my frame sliders installed. Yes, a great group of guys. Thanks again to John at AF1 for installing the frame sliders. Hopefully, I will not have to use the frame sliders anytime soon. :)

Another vote for AF1. They work on a lot of racing SVs, so they are well acquainted with them.

They have an EGA on their Dyno, and as accomplished two stroke tuners they can work wonders on jetting. My 'tard was like night and day after they fiddled with it. It even starts easier!

D

Back