• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's a Perfect Street Bike?

Chirpy

Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
All this talk of biker has me meandering down the path of "What's a perfect bike"?. Or more exactly, "What's a perfect street bike?" I've always been envious of guys who have a bike and are perfectly content, and never want another one. Most of these are ST1100 owners...not sure what that means. I'm not crazy about STs.

Sadly, I think I know what I want, I'm just sure it will probably never be built.

First, it needs to be a bagger, you can't beat the utility. But, my bagger has to answer to a different beat...yes, I'm falling back on the old Pacific Coast paradigm. That thing had two HUGE top loading bags. We're talking four paper bags of groceries huge. When you stopped, you could put a helmet in each side as well as jackets, purses, hair brush, etc.
pc800-2.jpg
As you can see from the picture, the fact they they were all integrated means that space normally taken up by brackets and fenders and such becomes bag space. All that space, and the bike wasn't actually all that wide. That was the shining star on that bike, and I'd love to have a "practical"? motorcycle again.

Needs 17" sport bike sized rubber. Mostly to insure a huge selection of tires and compounds.

650 pounds or less, preferably a lot less. 500-550 would be ideal. Sub 500 would be awesome. I don't need a huge fairing, maybe a little more than the repliracer set...something alone the lines of the old CBX and Sabre fairings of the mid 80's would be just fine with me. Don't need electric height adjustment or any of that crap, although maybe a spot for the iPod/Sirius would be nice. Voltmeter, tach, speedo, clock and at least two trip meters.

At least dual heads, although triples would be nice. 80/110s standard, and an alternator to drive it all with a little spare. Redundant RR, with A/B switch, although that may have to be my addition.

The motor. Hmmm. I want a SuperHawk-like motor, 100 HP with enough torque to pull tree stumps. Doesn't have to be a twin, but why not? Need it fuel injected, maybe with two different injection/timing maps. One maximize fuel economy, one for maximum spirit. Max fuel economy can sacrifice 30 or so HP in return for a frugal cruise. 300 mile "frugal" range. This would actually be a good use for a VTEC like setup as well. Shaft or belt preferred, just don't want the mess of a chain if I can avoid it.

Maybe ABS and TCS for crappy weather, but I want a switch to turn it off for "spirited riding". But I probably want that optional.

Comfy passenger accommodations. My wife almost fell asleep on the PC800. Really nice backrest/luggage rack setup would be slammin'. Big comfy seat, with a mild step and slope so that both rider and passenger have plenty of room to move.

If they build it, I will come. And I'll let Squeaky test ride it...

What do you want?

Last edited:
You want a Tiger.

The top case can hold two full face helmets. The side cases leave a little to be desired but hold a fair amount of stuff.

106 crank horsepower

474 pounds dry wieght

Same steering geometry as the ST1300 -

The front wheel is 19 inch but there is an excellent selection of tires that fit the bike.

Voltmeter, tach, speedo, clock and at least two trip meters - has all this plus a gas guage.

fuel injected and you can buy a tune boy with pc applications and change your map in your garage at home.

Has a built in power outlet and plenty of extra juice to run accessories and heated clothing.

6.3 gallon gas tank and consertive driving can get you in the high 40's with the standard map so with an economy map you should easily be able to exceed the 300 mile range.

Dual headlights

Torque is in the hight 60's which is reasonably respectable.

Does not have ABS but 90/10 dual purpose road tires give you excellent wet weather traction and you do not have to turn around when the pavement ends.

Remote adjustable rear pre-load lets you dial in a comfortable ride and with over 9 inches of suspension travel front and rear you can get a very plush ride or you can dial it in for spirited handling in the twisties.

Finally, that triple engine is as smooth as glass. No buzz or vibration at any speed.

In my opinion it is the best all around touring bike on the market today and I am happy with mine.

-

U-Hawk

Have you tried calling OCC about building your dream bike for you?!? :mrgreen: :eek:

Seriously, I've had a ST1100 for 14 years now, and I can tell you it is a very capable machine. What I like is it is good at many things, scratching or touring. Sure, more focused bikes will be better at one or another, but the ST does both well and can also put you 800+ miles from where you started by the end of the day. Not many bikes will do all that!
I think the ST was designed from the lessons learned on the PC800.

But, it has its issues....weight for one. It may disappear quickly once you get riding, but there is no forgetting it is a 750+ lb bike. Two, I think it is underpowered...I would be more impressed with another 20 HP or so, easily done with the V4 without stressing it. But speaking of that V4, it is one of the sweetest motors I have ever ridden. Oh, and there is one more problem with the ST1100, they don't sell it commercially anymore...the ST1100P, or police version, is still sold new; but Honda replaced the ST11 with the ST1300. I've ridden a ST1300 in the Thuringen Wald section of Germany (near Suhl) and whereas it is an improvement in many areas over its predecessor, it also lacks some of the "soul" the ST1100 had. I was worried that when I rode it I would think my old bike was a pig, but in reality it made me appreciate it much more.

As you know, I am buying Weasel's CBR1000RR, so I will have two completely opposite machines to enjoy. I suspect what the ST11 can't provide, the CBR will (more power, better brakes, serious flash). If I ever get a chance to add another motorcycle to the garage, it would be a RC-51. Just a different type of sportbike, and with the right pipes I don't there anything sounds as nice!

But if I had to settle for one "do everything" machine (and I may have to one day), it would be the VFR. I think it incorporates the positive aspects of the ST1100 (V4, touring ability) in a more sporting machine. Although I am not a fan of them, Honda does have matching hardbags now (I think made by Givi). It comes close to your dream bike (albeit with a chain), and the **** things are bulletproof. And, as we both know, there are a lot of owners/previous owners on this forum that sing the praises of the VFR.

Cheers! M2

M2 said:
U-Hawk

Have you tried calling OCC about building your dream bike for you?!? :mrgreen: :eek:

He said he wanted 650 pounds or less. They couldnt build that bike for less than a thousand pounds.

The perfect strret bike? That's easy. I've got 4 of them, and a couple more that are perfect Non street bikes. :lol:

Seriously. No matter which bike I ride I have a big ole grin on my face after I get off. If that's not perfection I don't know what is. :chug:

I'll agree, with the exception of a GSX1100G, I've never NOT enjoyed riding anything, from Zuma on up. This was more about what features you'd like to see on a bike...

Ya, the ST is close, but pushing the weight up kinda turned me off. BTW, as the PC was designed by the Accord guys, the ST was turned over to Honda Europe. Oh well, batting .500 will get you a big check in baseball.

Worked better on the garage thread....hmmm....does that mean folks spend more time designing garages in their mind than they do bikes? See, you're all garage trash!

:mrgreen:

R1200GS with Jesse bags and a topcase? :-)

When you say street, I guess you mean all streets/highways/paved roads, as opposed to urban streets?

Some people in burgmanusa.com forum have compared the 650 with the old PC800. They seem to like the newer technology better. Gobs of storage, good accleration (for 650), handles twisties well, nice pillion seat, a bit overweight at 524 lbs. Since weight sits low, it is easy to slow speed maneuver. No problems so far w/ 13K miles. I love not having the clutch especially in traffic. Down side - suspension is rough w/ smaller wheels 14 & 15 in.

I think the VFR is a sweet bike, it just needs shaft drive and a trunk! :lol:

buck000 said:
When you say street, I guess you mean all streets/highways/paved roads, as opposed to urban streets?

Huh? Urban streets? What you mean Willis?

I don't even know how to describe it, other than if I had one I wouldn't be hunting for another distance bike for a long time, if ever. Maybe I should just wait another 8 years and buy a Wing :shock:

sharkey said:
Some people in burgmanusa.com forum have compared the 650 with the old PC800. They seem to like the newer technology better. Gobs of storage, good accleration (for 650), handles twisties well, nice pillion seat, a bit overweight at 524 lbs. Since weight sits low, it is easy to slow speed maneuver. No problems so far w/ 13K miles. I love not having the clutch especially in traffic. Down side - suspension is rough w/ smaller wheels 14 & 15 in.

I think the VFR is a sweet bike, it just needs shaft drive and a trunk! :lol:

All you scooter people are the same. ;-) One of these days I'll get another. I just have to enjoy the quickness and loudness of the harley right now.

uberhawk said:
buck000 said:

Huh? Urban streets? What you mean Willis?

I don't even know how to describe it, other than if I had one I wouldn't be hunting for another distance bike for a long time, if ever. Maybe I should just wait another 8 years and buy a Wing :shock:

Sorry, I'm dim. :oops:

I just didn't know the extent to which "commuter bike" fit into your definition of "practical...street bike." Since you mentioned 'distance' just now, I get a better feel for what you mean, which seems to be "long-distance, but not necessarily all-purpose, DS-like bike."

Well,

I don't know. When I had the Coastie, I rode it everywhere for errands and such. Because it had storage!

The superscooters are probably getting close, but they need more storage. Now one of those could really do a mega-trunk with the small tires.

uberhawk said:
Now one of those could really do a mega-trunk with the small tires.

Nothing against supper scooters ..... but in my book

mega-trunk + small tires = bad

Don't ask me to explain it, but my gut instinct tells me that larger wheels on a motorcycle provide greater stability and better handling. The mega-supper scooters are kind of headed in that direction...

[Flamesuit ON] :oops:

Well

The perfect bike:
Fills that empty hole in your soul with just a glance. It refreshes you every time you ride. The exhaust tone is sweet music to your ears. It's not just transportation but a time machine that can transport you to your dreams.(HEY LOOK! I'M Kenny Roberts/S Gibernau/M DuHamel) It's a passport to a realm of sights smells and feelings that any other thing could never convey. At night when every thing is quiet and you lie awake it is that still small voice in your heart and head. It is poetry in motion, over a set of triples in the dirt, knee down in the turns, wind in your face, or just that knowing smile we all share.
I never rode a bike that did'nt have some redeeming quality. I never rode a bike I did'nt like. At Oak Hill, Elbows out knee down fighting a headshake that would make a wet dog jealous.
On the river road watching/smelling for livestock over blind hills and around blind turns. All brakes downshifting and setting up to drag off speed at the end of the Quarter mile. Just a quick adjustment to the vent and turn up the radio a little more on a 'Wing. Eatin all my buddies dust because I was the only one on a 20 yr old Elsinore. Hat to the back tennis shoes and T-shirt on a stupid little pocket bike.(ha you thought I was gonna say stuntin!) Friday nite out cruisin the "drag". Saturday nite before the races, its late its quiet just you and me,,, and I tell you about how I'll ride you tommarrow, and how much I trust you. The days warm the suns bright my hands on the bars feet on the pegs just cruisin. 600 miles of gut wrenchin cold rain and no windshield. I was to tired to ride, to cold to sleep, so it was just you, me and the park bench till sun up.
Yeah I think you guys are right! The perfect bike has two wheels, a motor, and me in the seat,,,,, doing what we were meant to do,,,,,,
Ride.
C

UJM = perfect street bike = Suzuki Bandit 1200

A "do-it-all" street bike with gobs of power, decent handling, easy to work on, and its inexpensive: If you don't like the way it is you can always change it to suit your needs - tons of aftermarket parts are available.

uberhawk said:
If they build it, I will come. And I’ll let Squeaky test ride it...

Ooh, really? :kiss:
I didn't even have to ask!

What I'd like is to learn more about the ins and outs of motorcycles so that I can really know what I want. Right now, I only know the more "trivial" things - seat height and comfort, peg placement, bar reach, wind buffeting, etc. I like enough power to pass cars on the freeway but want it to be smooth. I want brakes that can stop me as quickly as possible without being so overpowering that I lock up the tires. I want tires that last a while and don't flat spot from commuting. I want a chain that cleans and lubes itself, indicator lights to tell me when everything on the bike needs inspecting/replacing/lubing, and I want a gas tank that refills itself.

Ok, so maybe my list is a little out of hand, but you get the idea. Don't ask me about HP, because I don't even know what my Strom puts out. I don't get near the top speeds some bikes can pull, and I will likely always have chicken strips. I just want a comfy ride to wherever I feel like going without having to worry about being stranded on the side of the road.

terrebandit said:

A "do-it-all" street bike with gobs of power, decent handling, easy to work on, and its inexpensive: If you don't like the way it is you can always change it to suit your needs - tons of aftermarket parts are available.

I have to agree with dave

:tab Even crappy brakes will lock up the tires if you stomp/grab them hard enough ;-) Stopping quickly is a skilled learned by practicing, over and over... until you can do it smoothly and in a controlled manner. Then in a panic situation, your reactions should already be trained to stop proficiently.

:tab With so many differing types of riding, I don't think there can be a perfect bike. There may be bikes that are great compromises which is generally what makes them do it all bikes. They do it all okay, but none really really well. To me the perfect street bike is one that does exactly what you want it to do.

:tab For me the perfect bike would be like that van on the Charlie Chan cartoons I watched as a kid. It could change into anything on the fly without squishing the kids riding inside :lol: Crest a hill and the road switches from paved to dirt?? No problem, punch the D button on the triple clamp and off we go!!

Not much point in getting that over my GS. It only weighs a few lbs less. Of course, if it is significantly cheaper...

I forgot to add that I would like my perfect bike to be self righting ;-)

terrebandit said:
Dave, a bit biased are we??? :-D

My vote would most definitely go toward the VFR....V4 VTEC, bags, speed, comfort, good looks, single-sided swingarm, lots of accessories. OK, maybe a little short on power but the 06's have yet to come out. There aren't many bikes that can pull off the Sport and the Touring.

dutchinterceptor said:
terrebandit said:
Dave, a bit biased are we??? :-D
Yup...uh-huh... we Bandit riders tend to be very biased about our bikes - sorta a "no brag, just fact" thing. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :chug:

Back