• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning a trip to the Hill Country

FWRex

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a ride from Fort Worth to the Hill Country in late May. Figuring on back roads down to Kerrville the first day, out to the 33x's the next, then wandering back through Austin and on to home on the third. I figured I could spend the next week combing through all of the posts looking for good places to stay and eat, or I can just ask for some help from those who have gone before. And don't worry about sharing a favorite road. We ride at a fairly good pace and shouldn't be clogging up any twisties. :) Thanks for any help.

Kelly

Look in the "Story Telling and Tire Kicking" section for some information about the hill country roads and a few ideas about food and lodging from previous trip reports .

While you're in the area, you've GOT to hit FM 1341 between Comfort and Kerrville. It's not very long, but it's every bit the equal of 335, 336 & 337 from a pure riding perspective. 8)

Howdy,

:tab I am assuming you are familiar with the backroads of sorts that will get you down to the Granbury area?

:tab From Granbury you can come South on FM 51 to FM 205 and head West. Pick up FM 2481 and head South all the way to Hwy 220. Go South on Hwy 220 to Hico and pick up US 281 to Hamilton. In Hamilton, head West on FM 218. You can then either run FM 218 to FM 575 into Goldthwaite or take FM 2005 down to FM 575 and then into Goldthwaite. From there, head South on Hwy 16 to San Saba.

:tab You could just run 16 all the way to Kerrville from here and it is a nice ride. However, there is a detour worth taking. Head East out of San Saba on US 190. A few miles out of town look for FM 580. Head South. This FM runs along the Colorado river and is a lot fun. When you hit FM 501, head back to the West and pick up Hwy 16 again.

:tab As I mentioned above, the ride down 16 to Kerrville is nice, nothing tight though. If you still want some more backroad stuff, then after passing through Llano, there are two side loops that are nice. The first would be to pick up FM 152 just outside the South side of town and head West. The follows the Llano river for a while. When you reach US 87, Go North or West whichever the sign says and look for FM 783. Run FM 783 South. At FM 648, you can cut back to the East, hit US 87 and run into Fredericksburg and then run Hwy 16 down to Kerrville. Or you can just stay on FM 783 all the way until it hits I-10 just outside the West side of Kerrville.

:tab The second side route is to pick up FM 2323 just South of Llano. You can run this all the way to US 87 and then into Fredericksburg. Or you can head up US 87 to FM 648 and run West over to FM 783 and finish as described above.

:tab A little known road in Kerrville that is worthy of your attention is FM 1341. It runs out the East side of town over to I-10. It is a real roller coaster of a road with nice pavement. Hwy 16 South of Kerrville has some of the tightest corners in the state. They are fun but be careful. The pavement can be rough in the corners. Also, some of the corners are marked 15mph, take that to heart!! The 33X's all have some construction on them right now. It is not a big deal unless it is raining. That could get ugly. Hwy 39 out of Kerrville on the West side is nice. FM 470 from Bandera to Utopia is great. Be sure to stop in Tarpley around either lunch or dinner time to eat at Mac & Ernie's roadside eatery. It will be a highlight of the trip, especially their dinners and dessert.

:tab I'll let someone else clue you in on the roads to take to get back to the Austin area. I'm sure the locals know them better than me ;-)

:tab When are you going?

Adios,

The wife and I just got back Sunday night. If you get near Fredericksburg try the Lower Crabapple road. It runs from the middle of town to near Enchanted Rock on 965. It's about 1 1/2 lanes wide and in the middle of nowhere. And it's gorgeous.

Also try the Willow City Loop, obviously from Willow City.

Neither are "fast" roads, more for scenery but they're fun.

:tab I've done the Crabapple run and it is nice, especially when the Blue Bonnets are blooming. It won't be quite as crowded as the Willow City loop which can literally be like a parking lot during peak flower times.

Adios,

Thanks for the great information. I'd planned a back road route down there, but I just pulled yours up on the map, Tourmeister, and it kicks the crap out of mine. Thanks. We're looking at heading down the third weekend of May. A busy time, I know, but we have to take what we can get. Just one last question then I'm through picking your brains. Any suggestions on a good place to stay in either Kerrville or Bandera?

Kelly

Oops

Somehow managed to post the above as a guest. Sleep deprivation, ain't it grand?

Kelly

Howdy,

:tab Reservations may be hard to come by in either town at that time. I like the YO Resort in Kerrville. Very biker friendly, nice rooms and facilities, Cracker Barrell across the street ;-) Inn of the Hills is not bad, same for the Hampton Inn. I am not real familiar with small places like cabins and stuff because I am usually dealing with a good sized crowd when organizing trips. If you wanted to stay just a little farther out, try the Foxfire Cabins just North of Vanderpool on FM 187. They are about $125 per night I think for a cabin with two rooms, kitchen, living room, outside deck. Ask for cabins #5 or 7, they face the river away friom the others and are the most private. I know nothing about places to stay in Bandera.

Adios,

Places to Eat?! Yum!

How about the usual Suspects...
Hard eight BBQ in Stephenville
Koffee Cup in Hico
The Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls
Coopers BBQ in Llano
another Coopers in Mason (original & less crowded)
Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia
the OST in Bandera

There's a knic-knac shop in Medina with an Apple theme, that has a small cafe/tea room in back... Can never remember the name... & serves apple pies, turnovers, etc... and burgers and such... and it's one of my favorite stops on 16.

I like the Mexican food place in Kerrville on the same side of the street as the Cracker Barrell... just down the way...

And then there's the Sea Food/Catfish place on 27 just West of Kerrville proper.... What's the name of that place...

Oh god, I'm drawing all kinds of blanks tonight... I'm going to bed...

Sorry

Yeeha! Stephen said:
Places to Eat?! Yum!
There's a knic-knac shop in Medina with an Apple theme, that has a small cafe/tea room in back... Can never remember the name... & serves apple pies, turnovers, etc... and burgers and such... and it's one of my favorite stops on 16.

I believe that's a the Cider Mill Bakery. Note that I believe they close at 3 (right, Tourm? ;) ). I, too, like that place a lot. Good apple-cinnamon ice cream...

Don't forget about the OST restaurant in Bandera. It's a fun atmosphere with decent food, and from Medina, you get to take a wicked sweeper on 16 (so long you see it on the map 8) ).

buck000 said:
I believe that's a the Cider Mill Bakery. Note that I believe they close at 3 (right, Tourm? ;) ). I, too, like that place a lot. Good apple-cinnamon ice cream...

I thought as you are driving through Medina there is a place on the right hand side of the road called the Apple Cart. At least that is what I thought it was called. Has a gift shop, bakery and snack bar type eaterie on the back of it.

What Buck000 said. The cafe food is decent, nothing out of the ordinary. However, the desert section is definitely worth a visit!! If you like apples and cinnamon, you'll be in Heaven. They even have apple cider slurpees that are great hehe. When you walk in, they make you walk through the bakery area to get to the back where the cafe is located. Smart ;-)

Adios,

Info

Thanks for all of the help. Can't wait for the spring. This weather isn't helping any. Makes me want to head south right now. "Changes in latitude", and all that.

Ride safe.

Kelly

It has been mentioned that Kerrville will be crowded that time of year. If you're not aware of it, Star Touring and Riding Assn will be having it's annual Star-B-Q in Kerrville May 21 - 23 which might make it a little more crowded than expected. If Star-B-Q is your destination anyway, "see you there"!

Back