• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

R1100S

Zapata

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Benz
Any opinions about the BMW R1100S...???

I'm not into the "race track" performance & speed, altough I love the looks of bikes like the R1, I barely go faster than 90-100MPH. I ride mostly in the City and have always like the Honda VFR, but now that is V-TEC I'm not sure about the maintenance costs. The other option will be buying Scott's OEM blue VFR or any other used VFR before the V-TEC crap. But due to the lack of cash I will continue doing "window" shooping only. Anyway....Day dreaming is free....!!!!!!

I feel atracted to BMW for the legendary reliability and I love the looks of the R1100S (under seat exhaust, single-side sidearm) and the following features: Air cooled, driveshaft, etc, etc......

My "real-life" ($$$$) options are:

2003/2004 Yamaha YZF600R ~$7000
2003/2004 Triumph Speed 4 ~$6500

Even used BMW's are well over the $10,000 mark...!!!!!!

I have always prefer "new" over "used" I'm very "mechanically ignorant" so I'm not sure what to look for in a used bike.

I don't have any experience with the 1100S, my 1150GS has been problem free. Knocking heavily on wood.

My past experience with BMW's have been mixed. I owned a '87 K75s. It was a great bike. I loved the looks and the ergonomics. But, I had transmission problems with the bike from near the beginning.

A lot of the repeat problems I had I blame on local dealers. After having a new clutch and transmission installed, in that order in a little over a year, I sold it "as is" when it failed on me the last time. It had 33k miles on it. Had less that 7k on the new clutch, less than 4k on the new transmission.

I have roughly 18k on my GS and it is nice.

[subliminal messaging]
buy my vfr... buy my vfr... buy my vfr...
[/subliminal messaging]

The VFR motors are known for their longevity. With only 46K on mine, it has LOTS of life left in it. I had planned on keeping them until at least the 200K mark just for fun. The VFR is an excellent commuter. It is setup for luggage (I can put the rack back on for the tail bag), it gets 40+mpg all the time, even when hot rodding, with the Helibars, you can situp higher and take the pressure off your hands. Other than changing the oil and tires, it is virtually maintenance free. And changing the tires is quite simple, especially with the single sided swingarm.

[subliminal messaging]
buy my vfr... buy my vfr... buy my vfr...
[/subliminal messaging]

Adios, :-P

There's a nice looking red 99 R1100s for sale in San Antonio for $7500 and it includes hardbags and maybe a tank bag. Mileage is 8776 - sweeeeeeet !

Check it out - it may be just what you need! If you are worried about buying used they offer an extended warranty of some sort.

I found it on CycleTrader btw - I only surf there maybe twice a day...

Dave.

(But Scott's bike knows all the good roads in Texas so you could just get on his and say "Lead On" - priceless value there!)

I found it on CycleTrader btw

Sweet.....!!!!!

45410882_1.jpg

I rode with a bunch of guys on their inaugural Austin S Society run. Those A.S.S. guys left me in the dust so fast I wondered if being with them at first was actually just a dream.

With the right pipes and chips, those suckers sound and go mean.... :)

Why would anyone want a yellow bike? :-P

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Why would anyone want a yellow bike?

Let me see, more visible than black. Faster than red. Better looking than just about any color other than Maroon.

image_8.jpg

I do like your Blue VFR though. Especially with the polished rims. Want to swap wheels?

I'm not into the "race track" performance & speed, altough I love the looks of bikes like the R1

I SOOO agree... I love the looks of many of the "track-ready" bikes or whatever they are called. Pictures of the 04 R1 look real nice. I put about 200 miles a week on my VFR and it has 8k now... so in about 10 years when the VFR dies I should be able to pick up a used R1 for a decent price! :wink:

If you do happen to purchase a BMW motorcycle, it's a legal requirement that you own a Aerostitch suit too. Or so I've heard...

Contact Dave Terre from this board about Mark's BMW. It was a low Mileage 98 model if I remember correctly it was in the $8000 range.

Back