• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Flower tour on FM 149 04/07/03

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab The weather was so nice the last few days, I decided to head out and look for some wildflowers on some of our local roads. Beth and I took off with her friend Debbie from work. Beth and Deb decided they were going to ride two up together. This always makes me a bit nervous as Beth has very little two up experience. I guess the only way to get any is to do it ;-)

:tab We head South on FM 1791 from Hwy 30 on the West side of Huntsville. There are lots of bright yellow flowers carpeting both shoulders along the road. As we get near the South end of FM 1791, we enter an area where the Forestry Service has recently done a controlled burn. It is still smoldering, the ground and tree trunks charred black. We've been running a nice moderate pace and Beth seems to be doing great.

:tab Upon reaching FM 149 we head West towards Richards. Most of the trees that bloom have finished and are now sporting lush green foliage. This stretch is is mixture of green rolling pastures and thick piney woods. We stop in Richards so I can get a few pics of two favorite stopping places for riders that come through here: Richard's Grocery and PT's Pit Stop. Both serve food, but only PT's sells fuel. Although, you can get gas at either place :oops:

:tab As we head West out of town towards Anderson, I see a sight I cannot resist, a beautiful lawn with brilliant Azaleas scattered under the pine trees. Beth doesn't like stopping anymore than she has too when she's carrying a passenger so they zip on by me as I take my pictures. I'll catch up.

:tab When I'm done with the pictures, I zip up the tank bag and take off after Beth and Debbie. Despite a brisk pace, I never see them. Of course, I don't see them in a ditch so I don't worry about them. A few miles before reaching Anderson, I come upon several pastures that are totally carpeted with thick Blue Bonnets. Well, of course I have to stop and take more pictures. The only problem is that a huge wall of clouds on the horizon has just started blocking the late evening sun. I don't have my tripod and I am having to really work at holding the camera steady enough for the long exposure times. When I try to hold my breath to stay still, my pulse starts making my arms pump in time with it. :| Here are the results:

FM149-6.jpg

FM149-7.jpg

FM149-8.jpg

FM149-9.jpg

:tab I probably take way too many pictures and take so long the girls have to be worrying by now. Beth is used to me stopping like this though. When I reach Anderson, they are waiting for me patiently and then we take off again. We run FM 2819 back East to FM 149. There are not as many Blue Bonnets, but there are nice patches along the shoulders. It is starting to get dark so we stop back in Richards and swap out our visors. At this point, Debbie is ready to get back on my bike. It is not that Beth has scared her, it is just that I have the comfy Sargent seat ;-)

:tab We backtrack East on FM 149 and then run it all the way down to Montgomery. Apparently, Debbie got used to riding with Beth and not leaning so much in the corners. After we reach King's Cafe she informs me that the last few miles scared her a little more than usual because of some of the lean angles, hehe. The funny thing is that we rode much more agressively on the East Texas Hodges Gardens Ride. Go figure :shrug:

:tab We have a nice dinner at King's and enjoy a good visit with the owners. They are quite friendly and enthusiastic about bike customers. While here I finally decide that we are going to do a bike night because they have an ideal location and facility. The owners wholeheartedly agree. After dinner, we load up and head home. Deb is riding with me and has her dark visor on still hehe. That just spooks her even more. The ride back is brisk and cool. The bugs are pretty thick. By the time we get home thirty minutes later, my visor is caked in them. :x

:tab Before she went home, I managed to get Debbie to look at some pictures of several different bikes that would make excellent learner bikes for her :wink: She can feel the pull of the force... calling her...

Tourmeister said:
:tab As we head West out of town towards Anderson, I see a sight I cannot resist, a beautiful lawn with brilliant Azaleas scattered under the pine trees.

That's my grandparent's next door neighbor's yard. The secret to the beautiful azaleas is the acid content of the pine needles as they decay. If you have azaleas in your yard and pine trees, rake up the dead needles and used them as mulch in the flower beds. When I used to mow yards back in jr high and high school, my mom had me bring home bags of pine needles for this purpose. To this day, our azaleas bloom better than anyone else's in the neighborhood. :wink:

After we reach King's Cafe she informs me that the last few miles scared her a little more than usual because of some of the lean angles, hehe.

The same thing happened with Shannon on our last ride. She had gotten used to me taking it easy for the trip, so when I picked up the pace a little through the last few corners, it scared her a little. I guess I just got confident because she was doing so well. I need to keep it at a gradual pace if I want to keep her as a co-rider... :angel:

Back