• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm Stealing your Bike Tonight!

Reaction score
Not really, but I bet that got you attention!
I've posted before that my wife and I own a Repossession company(Fugitive Recovery Service) and some time what we do is Very similar to what bike/car thieves do. We will stalk you looking for a good time/location that makes it convienent for us to take your vehicle. Here is My advice for what little it is worth to hinder bike thieves.
#1 Out of sight out of mind! Hide you bike! Buy a bike cover if I can't see it I may not notice it!
#2 Park "inside" that may mean a garage a storage building or even a carport in the very front with a car in the back same effect as #1
#3 Use a lock! A disc lock OK, 2 disk locks Better, Heavy rotary Lock and square link chain EVEN BETTER. Motion sensor alarm, rotary lock, square link chain to immovable object,,,BEST!
#4 DO NOT park UP on raised areas! It makes for a easier lift into a truck/van.
#5 At work Shopping Vacation etc... Park in HIGH traffic areas near front doors main parking area etc.. this is the oposite of #1 now you want EVERYONE to see it.
#6 Don't tell people where you live,,, Paranoid yet?
#7 Use a secondary ignition kill switch. This is as simple as cutting the IGN hotwire or removing the IGN fuse and wiring a switch that will kill the circut, then installing the switch in a hidden position.
#8 Don't leave your keys ANYWHERE this includes IN YOUR IGNITION!
#9 Use the steering lock!
OK here's the deal. If I want it,I'll get it! Simple matter of fact, and a matter of time. The difference between ME and a Thief,,,Is I want YOURS he wants anybodys he can get.
You can't stop him if he wants it bad enough he'll get it! YOUR ONLY DEFENSE is to make yours UNNOTICABLE or so hard to get he will go look for easier prey!
Remember Noise (motion alarms/Dogs) is the #1 enemy (GET OUT of bed go look!)
Motion sensor lights are #2 (GET OUT OF bed,,,)
There IS NOT A LOCK THAT I CAN"T BEAT!! Believe me! ITS A FACT!
Steering locks? 1 guy pulls on 1 bar the other guy kicks the other bar, WALLAAAH! its just a small pin against a tab!
IGNITION locks? Most can be defeated by simply Driving a large screwdrive in there and turning with a wrench.
Why bother most bikes hotwire in under 5 minutes!
Yes the pick up and carry scenario beats disk locks!
Use the MASTERLOCK brand rotary lock its the hardest one I have found so far to pick!
Use a HARDENED SQUARE (Krytonite brand)link chain because they beat bolt cutters.
Wedge the bike between a car/truck and a wall where the vehicle has to be moved to get the bike.
At the Mall traveling use ign lock steering lock 2 disk locks 1 with motion sensor
Like I said just make it so its easier to get someone elses bike.
OH and no fair using all of these against the repoman or I'll have to play really dirty pool!hahahahah
C

SRADkneedragger said:
Remember Noise (motion alarms/Dogs) is the #1 enemy (GET OUT of bed go look!)
The one time I've had a car stolen from the house the dogs were barking to beat the band, but all I did was get up and shush the dogs. I figured they were just parking at the coyotes traveling through the back alley. Found out I was wrong the next morning.
:-(

I agree! Good post. I'm glad I have two dogs. If they think something is up, they are usually right.

:)
MuddyPaws

Good post ! I usually know if my dog is raising **** to get up & he stays in the house when I am home butt he still watches.

Good information, thanks for taking your time to write this.

#8 - If you don't leave your keys anywhere, then...

Just kidding. Good stuff, BTW.

MuddyPaws said:
I agree! Good post. I'm glad I have two dogs. If they think something is up, they are usually right.

:)
MuddyPaws

Hmmm... who do you suppose was still asleep on the couch at lunch today after I'd opened the garage, ridden inside, shut down, closed the garage and walked all the way into the living room?

The problem with dog alarms is they have to be awake, alert, and in an area where background noise doesn't drown everything out.

From where i come from it's ok to shoot poachers on sight, hear it's the same way in Tx for thieves :)

letsride said:
From where i come from it's ok to shoot poachers on sight, hear it's the same way in Tx for thieves :)
It used to be just "horse thieves".
The modern day equivalent of horses should be motorcycles, right? :p

What you think I wear that Bulletproof Vest cause its cool and comfortable?
Thanx for all the pats on the back guys! I'm just trying to make we get to keep whats ours!
Remember Outta sight, Outta Mind!

I think that list is a good one to have around for reference.

Maybe the moderators could turn it into a sticky?

Thanks, scumba..., I mean kneedragger... ;)

Is it a good idea to attach a red "Remove Before Flight" pennant to disk locks? My neighbor apparently tried to ride off with one engaged, and did some serious damage. I think I would have noticed, I do a little rolling before takeoff.

ABSOLUTLY! I know one of the disc locks used to come with an coil spring that ran from the lock to a little cover for your ign. Also I saw a lock today that looks like a big pair of handcuffs with motorcycle chain between. Design looked pretty tough but I'll have to do a little research to see just how tough it is

Yeah, some disk locks already come with yellow coily "reminders" but you can get those separately.

Over the years, I've had people break windows and steal things out of the cars. I finally got annoyed enough to put motion sensitive cameras on the house that watch everything, night or day. If anything moves, it gets recorded to a PC hard drive.

If anything else happens, I should have it on video.

Rick

rbickle said:
Over the years, I've had people break windows and steal things out of the cars. I finally got annoyed enough to put motion sensitive cameras on the house that watch everything, night or day. If anything moves, it gets recorded to a PC hard drive.

If anything else happens, I should have it on video.

Rick

So are the cameras motion sensitive, or is it the software on the PC watching for motion and triggering the recording?

rbickle said:
I'd like to hear some details on how you did this and what hardware you used - been thinking about the same thing on the "blind" side of the house (two cars broken into & neighbor's van twice in 10 years).

I have motion sensor flood lights. This wakes up the dogs which wakes me up if he keeps it up. Not as technical or geeky but effective and inexpensive.

I know of a guy who hooked up a buzzer when the motion light goes off. The light is positioned to come on when someone is outside the garge door. It has worked twice.

And an old guy running out of the house naked/underware would scare most criminals away :rofl

Hey SRAD, I'm looking at buying a big chain lock and I'd like your feedback.

I'm looking at the Onguard Beast and Kyptonite Fahgettabodit chain locks:

Onguard
The Beast comes in 1/2" and 5/8" chain link sizes, and they have different locks on each. I want to know if one is clearly superior to the other, if not I will get the 1/2" so I don't have to carry as much weight. Is one of the locks better than the other? each chain has a different lock. You can see them here:

http://www.onguardlock.com/beastchain.html

Kryptonite
The Fagettabodit chain lock looks good, but it is a little more expensive than the Onguard system. It sounds like you're familar with this system, here's a link anyways:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/ineti...s@public?artid=3036&atf=products_item&pgrp=20

I am going to use this lock to chain my bike to a tree next to my house. If both locks are equal, I'm going to go with the cheaper Onguard 1/2".

Here in TX we may not be able to stop you, but you better run fast, A deer rifle with a good scope and the rear window of a truck, and you do not pass go!!! Remember the Fireman that shot the Repo man from his porch with a rifle while he was towing his truck down the street!!! No Harm No Foul for the fireman, the Repo man went to the Harp Farm!!!

Todd

Bob22
In my opinion the Ongard locks are so close to the Kryptonite that it would make very little difference. Once you reach this level of security Anyone that is this determined to get this particular bike is going to attempt to defeat both of these locks in the same manner and they both offer about the same level of defense(They will defeat 99% of all attacks! And NO! I will NOT tell you what these three attacks are!). Buy what you want they are both great.

TAPnTEX
1st off murder is murder. Check that on the sin list if you are christian.
2nd You better check the laws in Texas. In the last few years courts have taken a dim view in persuing some one off of your property to use deadly force OR using deadly force once someone fleeing from your property.
3rd If you are behind on your vehicle payments you should know it. The legal defense in the quoted shooting was that he"THOUGHT" his vehicle was being stolen. Something that you must prove to jury.
#4 Taking your anger out on the Repoman is like cussing the police for arresting you for DWI.
A the policeman is'nt the one who was driving drunk
(We are not the 1 who did'nt pay)
B The Policeman is'nt the one who passed the DWI laws
(We are not the one who ordered the repossession)
C Police merely enforce the law the public agreed to
(We merely enforce the lein contract YOU agreed to)
#5 I urged everyone to be careful in what can be a very stressful AND dangerous situation. I know what YOU might do. I do this for a living. Do YOU know what I will do?
A: Point a gun at me I WILL SHOOT YOU! I carry a 12G Pump Riotgun.2 Birdshot, 2 Double00 Buck, and 2 12gauge SLUGS.
B: I wear a level 3A bulletproof vest, Have a second US Army flack jacket draped over the back of the seat, and lastly have used level 2A old jacket panels in the doors of my truck.
C: At the point I leave the premise with vehicle in tow I IMMEDIATLY phone the local LEA to report the repossesion, so at this point ANY NEGATIVE behavior on the debtors part will be reported to the Police
D: Lastly I will file CRIMINAL CHARGES on you for ANYTHING!!!!! Need an example?
Touch me: AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.
Threaten Me: TERRORISTIC THREAT.
Point ANYTHING at me that LOOKS like a weapon: DEADLY CONDUCT.
Chase me down try to force me to pull over: Reckless conduct with a Motor vehicle.

I realize that people get stressed out/pissed off/desperate and therefore often act irrationally so I ALWAYS EXPECT the worst and accept that as part of the inherent danger in my job.
Debtors on the other hand don't realize that I am a trained professional and that I arrive prepared to Protect myself 1st and foremost and secondly to recover the leinholders property.
Believe me when I say this"NO COLLATRAL is worth someones life! Mine or yours." When the day is over and its time to go home, Believe me, If its me or you,,,,, Brother its gonna be you because I'm going home!
AS I said earlier this is a terrible situation, but its not MY fault. Do I lie, cheat, bend the rules, con, hustle, and pay people to snitch you out? ABSOLUTLY! Will I take it in the middle of the night? At work? At church? Probably. Unfortunatly not everyone is as nice or as professional as I am and these people make things rough on everybody.
Moral to this story?
Don't take a knife to a gun fight!
Moral #2 Be polite,Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.(Stole this from someones post)

Thanks SRAD!

I bought the Onguard Beast 1/2" for $46 shipped. I don't have any liens on my bike, so don't try stealing it!

Back