• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adding Airhorns

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the horn on my ZR-7S so that I could make sure I was heard when that SUV decided to drift into my lane when the driver was on their cell phone.

If you're interested in this type of upgrade to your bike, you can check out a how-to I wrote on the subject at http://www.havican.com/LJStuff/AddingAirHorns.pdf

[link fixed. admin.]

Note, the wiring on this how-to is specific for the ZR-7S. It may be different depending on your particular bike.

Howdy Greg,

:tab Welcome to the site. Thanks for the info. I have heard some of these horn installs and they are pretty serious! If I wasn't so lazy I would have put one on my bike a long time back ;-)

:tab So do you ride a ZR-7 or a BMW as your name implies?

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Howdy Greg,

:tab Welcome to the site. Thanks for the info. I have heard some of these horn installs and they are pretty serious! If I wasn't so lazy I would have put one on my bike a long time back :wink:

:tab So do you ride a ZR-7 or a BMW as your name implies?

Both. I have a 2002 ZR-7S and an '85 K100RT.

Greg,

I tried clicking on your link and it does not work.

Could you send me the info?

Chris

homermacleod said:
Greg,

I tried clicking on your link and it does not work.

Could you send me the info?

Chris

Chris:

Sorry you had a problem. Just use the address on the link but remove the last (.). The forum software automatically included it in the link. I should have left it out when I typed the sentence.

Greg

:tab The link is fixed. If you don't manually add the URL tags, the forum software automatically sees the HTTP link and puts the tags around it. Since there was no space between the end of the link and the period, the period gets included between the tags.

Adios,

Just bringing this up to the top so that Philip can read the write-up on this. I'm not going to do air horns this time (had them on my KZ650) but will probably do the Fiamm high/low horns and mount them to the radiator/oil cooler mounts. The PDF that BMWBiker wrote up is pretty thorough and should help anyone planning a horn change/addition.

Texas T said:
Just bringing this up to the top so that Philip can read the write-up on this. I'm not going to do air horns this time (had them on my KZ650) but will probably do the Fiamm high/low horns and mount them to the radiator/oil cooler mounts. The PDF that BMWBiker wrote up is pretty thorough and should help anyone planning a horn change/addition.

That is what I did, Mounted it to the bottom radiator bolts. I have since made some brackets to mount them better than I did originally. I bought the horns at Harbor Freight and bought the Fiamm relay and associated parts at O'Reilly's.

About a month ago there was a discussion on air horns on the CTXIR Yahoo Group, some people have stated that their air horns did not pass inspection. It evidently depends on who inspects it.

Here are a couple of quotes from the messages.
I use the Sticker Store on South 1st Street. They simply allow me to pull the air line off the air horns and just honk the factory horn. They put the inspection sticker on the bike and then I reconnect the air tubes. The inspectors know the air horn law is impractical.
I have had my bike inspected by Woods with air horns working and had no problem. I have never had to disconnect them.
They are also the ones that installed them.

Yeah, Air Horns are just way too much work. I put them on the Valk Interstate I had.

I just ordered 3 135 decibel electric horns - High tone only - One for each bike and one for the car.

If that doesn't do the trick I will get the low tones also and add them to the bike.

I paid 12.95 apiece for them - Wolo's - and just noticed someone's post where you can get them from This new Harbor (whatever the name is) place for 10.95 each. I do not know if they are Wolo's.

-

I added my airhorn (and a PowerLet) this weekend. :-D

On the 'Strom, here is where I hid the horn (looking down into front cowl):
airhorn0802s.jpg

I wired it so I could use either horn from a water-proof switch I got from a local boating shop (this also shows the PowerLet):

switches0801q.jpg

Heven't had to use it yet... :twisted:

Chuck,

Nice set-up. You'll have to let us know how many cups of latte you can scare out of the hands of morning commuters with that thing. :twisted: My only reservation would be having the switch separated from the handlebars. I don't know if I could reach fast enough in a crisis-pending situation. Aerostitch sells a universal handlebar mounted switch that might come in handy.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16949&cat=270&page=1

Ride loud.

Kelly

My only reservation would be having the switch separated from the handlebars.
Not a problem - it is usually set to "air horn". I can tap the button for a less intrusive sound.

If I want to be "cute", I can switch it to the regular, wimpy horn...

I am going to resurrect this thread since I have heard several questions about adding airhorns recently.

It seems the most popular one these days is the Stebel compact horn. Here are two places to get them. The product descriptions have dimensions and some installation notes.

adv workshop

compact air horn

twisted throttle

Hope that helps someone out...

Back