• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My "hardware"

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Gates
I have a 93 VFR 750 F in Pearl Crystal White with white wheels. Still get asked if its new. Awesome.

I've been taking it easy on the mods as I want to ride more than play with the bike.

Current mods: Required fenderectomy and ditched tag lights with LED bulbs, Pyramid Plastics carbon hugger, D2707's, Secdem windshield from Dynamo Humm (good source :mrgreen: ), Genmar risers, currently using Cortech 3 bag set-up plus tank bag, going to Krauser hard bags as soon as they arrive, pretty much stock after that. Hope to have a new Ohlins shock soon. Trying for aftermarket exhaust system, but don't want to lose centerstand.

Bike Pics?

Howdy,

So... any pictures? :wink:

Adios,

Andy's SV....suh-weet!

Hey, Andy!

Make no mistake, your SV is gorgeous. Don't you have some cool hardware mounted on it? Pix of that/those would be nice... :wink:

:wink: Thanks Paul,

Not much for mods yet. Targa Tail Cowl, LP short stalk turn singals, Suzuki gel seat (man, this is a real bonus), Clearlens LED Taillights, Throttlemeister, & Bridgestone BT-010 front and 020 rear (set up du jours for SVS right now). Other than that not much. I plan on start fussing with the Exhaust/Carbs/Airfilter once I have a new ride and wont have to worry about screwing up and not being able to ride until I get it fixed.

Speaking of new ride, I talked with Jay Benard at Mototek yesterday. Sounds like the '03 futuras might be in in a couple of monthes. I am really looking forward to getting a chance to ride yours and get a feel for it before then (if the offer is still open).

Hope to see ya round soon

Mods for the SVS

Howdy,

Just a thought here. Before you start spending money on a pipe, rejetting, blah blah blah, I would give serious consideration to upgrading the suspension. I did not realize how soft and springing the SVS suspension is until I rode a friends SVS on the Blue Ridge Parkway last fall. He had the Race Tech front and Ohlins rear. I cannot adequately describe the difference this makes in the handling of the bike. It is a lot easier to go fast with good suspension than with a more powerful motor. If the bike doesn't feel good going into corners, you are not likely to use that more powerful motor :wink: Of course, if you are just a straight line blaster, ignore what I just said :mrgreen:

Don't forget about heated grips! Check out this link:

Hot Grips for the SV

They are nice on cool/cold days. The guy that bought our SV actually emailed me a few months later when it had gotten cold to tell me how much he likes them. He forgot they were on there and then one day when riding home remembered :lol: He cranked them up and now wonders how he ever got by without them.

I really like the silver on those SV's !!

Adios,

Thanks, will keep that in mind, although the 2002 and later SV's have adjustable preload front and rear so it is a little better than the older set-ups (although I've got the front preload down to the 2nd to tightest setting). I think that a good spring change and better fork oil will be a good start and maybe a Penske or Progressive for a new shock might also be in order. Its only money right :mrgreen:

VFRRider said:
I have a 93 VFR 750 F in Pearl Crystal White with white wheels. Trying for aftermarket exhaust system, but don't want to lose centerstand.

I've heard of people swapping out the stock exhaust for a '94-'97 style exhaust system. You could couple this with a nice slip-on silencer and the bike would lose quite a bit of weight. Some things you may have to modify would be a location for the centerstand to rest when retracted and some brackets for the metal lower fairing pieces to bolt to.
My '92 didn't come with a centerstand, but I wish it did. I just installed a left exit TBR system and have run into a few small problems. The system has no provisions for the lower metal fairing pieces, so I need to fabricate some small brackets for them to bolt to. Also, the system is one of Two Bros' older systems and the s-bend pipe is welded on instead of being changeable. Not a big deal, but the round can it came with was damaged and I decided to replace it with the C-2 small oval can. The top to bottom (diameter) of the round can is 4.5". The top to bottom of the oval can is 4.75". I had to make a small adapter bracket for the cannister hanger and I had to radius the bottom of the passenger footpeg bracket on the belt sander to clear the can. No big deal, but the probelm now is that I can no longer insert my Pit-Bull rear stand without removing the can. That sucks for chain maintenance. I'm trying to find another left side passenger footpeg bracket to modify and gain a little more clearance. Whatever you do, try to stay as close to stock as possible if you want to avoid little problems like this...

1998 Honda VFR Interceptor. Staintune high right slip-on. Ohlins Type 4 shock. Race-Tech gold valves and springs. Lucas rearsets. Pirelli Diablos. DID 530 gold chain. One set of red powder coated wheels and one set of black painted wheels. N-W-S black fiberglass hugger. Sargeant seat. New Y2K mirrors. Tinted OEM windscreen. Fender bob. Throttlemeister. Lockhart-Phiilips carbon fiber tank protector. HPS frame slider kit. RKA magnetic tank bag. Center stand removed. Snorkel in. Decals removed. Pit Bull front and rear stands.

Recent March 2003 track ready picture.

http://home.satx.rr.com/wonderdawg/racetrim3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
93 Exhaust Mods

Yes, thought of that. According to Brandon Monnig on the big board (VFR list) the 94-97 system interferes with the center stand also. According to the test fit I had done with a previous system that was SUPPOSED to keep the center stand, the 94-97 motor must be about 1/2-3/4" higher in the frame because the system is about that much too low. Too much to move to fit.

Thought about fabing my own center stand, but why? I finally just drilled 8- 1/8' holes around the stock pipe just outside the tube. Gave it a decent growl and some better response. So far so good.

Right now fighting the lack of availability of an aftermarket rear shock. Ohlins stopped making theirs and so has Fox. Maybe Penske. Also talking with Works about theirs. Want to stay below $700 if possible for a top unit with triple adjustability and remote reservoirs.

Decisions, decisions.

Larry Gates
VFRRider

Back