• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I guess I'll go first

Ted,

Actually the Suzuki RE5 shares a lot of common parts with a WaterBuffalo.
The RE5 frame is actually a stretched version of the GT750.
The electricals are also big on commonality.
However....the styling is completely different...early Italian Spaceship !!!
This adds to the quirkiness of the whole bike along with the engine type.
There is a big following for this bike ...we have a mailing group and Yahoo discussion group, both of which stay pretty active.
There is also a dealer in Ohio that has all the new or used parts that you would ever need that he sells at very fair prices
All in all, its been a real fun experience studying this bike and restoring it to put back on the road.
Now all I need is some decent painting weather :roll:

Buzz

Hey just wandered into this on the net and figured I would say hi.

I ride a 2001 Dyna sport on the road, and a KTM 620 RXC off the road. I guess I like things that go thump :)

I live up by DFW airport.

Looks like a nice group of folks posting here, maybe I'll get a few rides in with some of ya this summer.

Howdy!

Welcome to the site! Glad you found your way here. Now I have another Adventure Rider to entice onto rides... :twisted: You probably have wayyyy more dirt experience than I do, which is pretty much zilch. So maybe I could learn a few pointers from you if we ever get together!

Don't let the UJM riders heckling about the Dyna bug you ;-) Uberhawk will come to your defense :mrgreen:

Adios,

Well I can take care of myself, the fxdx is a pretty sharp handling bike for a standard type motorcycle, my best riding buddy rides a hopped up triumph sprint and I have no dramas with that.

I'm too old and wise to race, and after 30 years of riding I like a bike that handles well enough to have fun on, and still lets me do 1000 mile rides and walk comfortably afterward.

In fact I've never ridden with a Harley group except a couple of rally type things with a gazzillion bikes around. I've usually always just hooked up with a couple of buddies to ride, and none of them ride harleys :)

Gonna be riding down to Bastrop tommorrow morning along with the Triumph, can't let this good weather do to waste.

As for the dirt, I ride the KTM less and less these days, the older I get the harder the technical dirt stuff is on my old bones. I've been thinking about trailering it out of state to some of those nice rides I keep reading about, but I really need to hit the gym for a few months first or I would regret it.

I do want to ride my Dyna up to the Ozarks this year though.

I do want to ride my Dyna up to the Ozarks this year though.

Come with us Memorial day weekend! We will be staying in Eureka Springs and riding all over the Northwest area of Arkansas. Check the thread in the Upcoming Rides/Trips/Events forum for the Pig Chasing in the Ozarks subject.

Adios,

Yes I saw that ozarks run, it's my folks golden anniversary that weekend though and they have a shindig planned down in Bastrop. I would be tortured for years by the whole family if I don't attend so I'll be riding backroads from Dallas to Bastrop and back that weekend.

I'll be game if you get another one up later this summer or fall though. If not I'll be going up myself with whataver buddies I can talk into it. :)

Looks like you folks do a lot of rides though, I'm sure you'll see me on one soon.

From the looks of things some of ya are on the on/off road adventure bike thing, I may have to take the big knobs off my KTM, grab a new saddle made for sitting on, drop the stock sprockets back on and work it over well enough to trust it for a long ride and join in on some of those rides your doing. It's a 1996 and getting a bit long in the tooth. Then again maybe I just need another new bike. :)

I usually just take it up to the enduro park at muenster and run around on the real rough stuff till it beats me down.

950 seems like it might be pretty heavy offroad, are the ktm dual sports still based on an LC4? If so I can probably convert mine to do well if they seem to hold up ok.

The KTM is great bike, best offroad 4 stroke I've ever seen though some of the japanese bikes have come a lot closer over the last few years. It'll do 70+ on the highway without any sweat as well, I'm just concerned about reliability on real long rides for that single 620 thumper.

If folks are having no issues with an LC4 based adventure bike I should be able to modify it to do, it offroads like a mountain goat. I've just don't ride it more than 40-50 miles at a time and always in about the most extreme terrain I can handle. Basically tow it to the road edge and ride around a ranch hitting huge climbs and challenging terrain. It doesn't see much street time at all. I even let the tags expire cause it didn't make sense to keep them up, and I have street bike.

Looks like I'll have to do some investigation and figure out what I can do with it, and go look at what the dealers have. There's probably some much better deals on decent dual purpose bikes than there was when I bought the KTM, and it wouldn't bother me to save a few grand :)

BTW saw your writeup (I think it was yours) where you went to Bastrop state park, on park road 1. That's where my folks live, retired on 15 acres on one of the little unpaved roads about halfway down park road 1 from Bastrop to Smithville. Your rght, park road one is way up and down and twisty, but going fast on it equals death wish. :) Folks get hurt bad and die on it every year.

Me ride Triumph Sprint SS ... hang with Harley Dyna Sport ... have fun, no hero.

Me into riding more, maybe hook up, 6:00am call tomorrow, ride to Austin/Bastrop.

Hey Dyna Sport, we do two step on Park road, yah ?

(ok, that's enough sillyness for my first post, me not Grog B)

:hail

Hey all,

My name is Aaron. I ride a blue and white 2002 GSXR 750. This is my first bike. I love it! Been riding for about 10 months now, and put about 16,000 miles on my baby. Yea, we are close. ::wink:: Not really one to stunt, but my real passion is to get on the track. I found this site from HSN, which I just signed up with today as well. Looking forward to meeting you guys and girls on the upcoming rides, and maybe at the track. L8R.

Howdy,

:tab You will find there are quite a few track nuts here as well ;-) If only my budget would allow... :roll: 16K in ten months... wow! How unlike so many Gixxer riders :-P Nice to see that you really enjoy riding. We are doing a ride this weekend, check the Upcoming Events forum for details. Perhaps you can make it?

Adios,

Welcome aboard Aaron. What part of TX are you in?

Looks like you're getting more than you money's worth out of your first bike. With all those miles comes lots of experience, and it all adds up to safe riding in the end. I've been told track days are great for sharpening your skills. See ya one day on a ride!

Late Introduction

Guess I'll go ahead and do the introduction thang...

Hi all. Mike here. Just wanted to formally introduce myself
I'm 34, live in Spring, TX and ride a 2004 Yamaha R1.

If the sun is shining, i'm riding.

Curves are my favorite type of riding. I will play around with wheelies every once in a while, but not often. No stoppies, no other crazy stuff. I'm too scared I'll scuff up my baby to be doing all that stuff!!!

My first two wheeled ride was on a friends Honda 125 dirtbike at the age of 16, Then in 2001 I had a 250 Ninja for about 6 months. In January of 2004 I got my 2002 Triumph 955i, rode it for a few months, then sold it a couple of months ago to buy my 04 R1. So far I like it better than any other bike I've ridden. I've done the most riding of my life this year, and am totally addicted to it. If my bike is down, depression sets in. I just moap around the house in my underwear eating pizza on the couch with a blank stare on my face. :-| MUST HAVE BIKE. MUST RIDE BIKE. BIKE MAKE ME HAPPY! :-D

Gixxerman1980 and I close friends and ride alot together. Him having never even sat on a bike, I showed him how to ride at the beginning of this year, and since then he has FAR surpassed my riding ability! :evil: He likes to rub it in too, taking hard corners with one hand while I'm back there hanging on for dear life, etc. So I've got some practicing to do honing the cornering skills. :-P I too, as Gixxerman1980 entioned, would like to get on the track and learn to do some serious riding someday soon. I think that would be a blast!

Anyway... Some of you I've met, and some I haven't. The ones I've met I look foreward to seeing again. The ones I haven't met yet I'll look foreward to meeting down the road.

:chug: <--- Bluebell Butter Pecan Icecream

See y'all out there!

Howdy from Aggieland

Hey all,

Noob to the site. Long time cycle rider and recent recipient of an '03 ZZR1200. A couple folks from STN directed me here for ride info. They said you guys were a bunch of dorks and didn't really have anything good to say, so I figured I'd fit right in. :lol:

I'm a cycle commuter and have been since I went to school here (A&M). Been here for 5 or so years and I grew up in Austin.

I've been on two wheels since I was about 6. Moto-x in highschool, yadda yadda. Finally got on the street about 21 or so. I started out on my trusty 90 YX600 Radian, got a CBR600 a few years later which met a suburban it didn't like. Took the insurance money and paid for school and started riding my Radian again. Finally decided I needed more cowbell, I mean power, and I bought the Zed.

I'm 29 now and the ZZR is breaking me in quite nicely. Sweepers are my favorite, but I've never seen a twisty I didn't like.

I'm looking into becoming an MSF instructor next year and I preach the gospel of motorcycling to anyone that asks me for info. I'm a relatively conservatice rider on the street. No stoppies, no intentional wheelies, no stupid stuff... well except for speeding but c'mon... gimme a break, I gotta have ONE vice. I try not to push my limits on the street.

Now I have a bike capable of very long distances again, I'll be getting back into the moto-camping thing.

If you are lookin' for someone to ride with, shoot me a message - I'm always up for a ride if I have the time.

Nico

Hello all. My name is Jonathan and I live in Houston (West 26th St. and Ella, inside the loop). I took the motorcycle safety course a little over a year ago, got my liscence, and bought my first bike. I have an '03 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic with almost 10,000 miles. I have been to a few rallies and enjoy the Hill Country rides. I should have saddlebags within the next two months and then longer rides (read out of Texas) are on!

Hey all just joined in.

I live on the souteast side of the fattest city in the US. (quite an honor fo Houston Eh?) Just wated to drop a line and say hey.

I have been riding since I was 9 (that was 23 years ago) and I currently own two bikes a 93 Dyna Wide Glide and an 04 Speed Triple. I love my HD, but I have to say that the Triple has become the favorite given that it can do the things I like to do on a motorcycle (like corner). Anyway, I am always looking for folks to ride with so I will be looking for rides on here and maybe posting a few of my own. Preferrably at a "brisk" pace.

Later!

Hello All

My name is Mike. I road for about 25 years then back in 1997 I got taken out. A prestine 1981 xl 250 dual sport(i found dust covered in the back of someones garage) and a step side pickup at 30 mph I survived(say go by to a hip and femur for a while.) the XL did not. unfortunatly she made a mistake and didnt see me. but thats the past.
So 8 years later I am thinking about jumping back into the off road locally and dual sport world south of the border.
currently I have big Jeep or whats left of it I take off road and no motorcycles. I am thinking a big single lunger could be a lot of fun and keep me slow in the woods that I wouldnt get in trouble.

I will possibly see all of you around soon

Mike Green

Howdy Mike,

Welcome to the site! If you are looking to pick up a used dirt bike, you will definitely want to check out the Texas Offroad Network website:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/home/ka.php

For info about South of the border stuff, there are a ton of people on the Adventure Rider site that go down there all the time and can help you with the riding side of things down there:

http://www.advrider.com/

And of course we still want you to keep coming around here ;-)

Adios,

Hey Scott

thanks

I have used TON a bunch owning the jeep but advrider is just what I was looking for!!!!!

thanks Mike G

Guess I should have done this sooner, but better late then never.
My names Clyde, started riding about 20 yrs ago (Honda 750) and have had a few others since then......Yamha 650, Nighthawk 650, Sportster and then realized that they sat an awful lot............like hadn't even been started in 6 months!!! So I sold everything in 1989 and moved on.
So, now after 16 yrs I bought the Hayabusa...............my how things have changed!!!! Wonderful bike, and IMO, easy to handle, just gotta watch that right hand!!!
Anyway, I relocated here in 2002 from San Diego, I work for Shell and no I don't get free gas :>)
Married, 4 kids, 10 grandkids....................**** I'm too young for that many GRANDKIDS!!!!
Hope to see you folks out and about!!!!
Had to update a little, 10 grandkids and a new bike to keep the Busa company while I'm at work.

Last edited:
O.K., I am up next.
I have been an infrequent poster but will probably pick up the pace. I use to hang out at STN but ever sinse the board went down for a few days, it just hasn't been the same.

I ride currently ride an 03 VFR. I have been riding since 1987, first bike a stand/cruiser, then sport/sport-touring rides since then. I pay for my bike habit as a professional geologist for the Texas Water Development Board in Austin Texas. I am also a 1LT in the Texas Army National Guard, and an MSF instructor. I am married, 2 kids and a yellow lab (frizbee catching expert she is....the dog not the wife :). I am currently moblized to Ft Irwin Ca, but I will be back in Texas in November (Can't wait either!!).

Riding is the ultimate life experience for me. Everything is better when there are motorcycles involved. My son likes to ride with me and my daughter will be big enough soon and I expect her to want to ride as well.

I often get to ride for busisness trips at my state job so I will post my destinations and see if I can't meet some of you along the way.

See you all 'round.

I'm Drew and live in Burleson. I ride a silver Suzuki Burgman 400. ("Flash")
I love the storage, performance, mileage and the shiftlessness. I use it daily commuting to work in Fort Worth. I'm 42, married with 4 kids.I also am a member of the Burgman USA Forum.

Greetings All: I'm called many things. Grumpy will do, since that's my e-mail "handle". Because I'm old, think not I'm slow. I've seen 1.4 on the Mach meter... that was in an airplane, not my "Little Old Lady's" bike, although it's a real "sleeper"... I just like the ergonomics of a Magna... I wouldn't mind having a 4 or 5 year old Viffer as a stablemate for my Magna for those times when I feel the need for speed... Yes, that still haunts me although I've been riding longer than most of you have been around. How about 60 years? Trips: how about 15 days which exceeded 1000 mile days on touring bikes:(GoldWing and ST1100). How about being constantly broke? (Fixed income retired will do that to you). How about being iconoclastic? Being a bit of a loner will do that too. Single. Live alone on Lake Livingston wast of Livingston. NO, the Magna is NOT stock. Yes, I do all my own wrenching. Yes, I ran a shop for 5 yrs. Yes, I'm a retired USAF airplane driver and also a retired Clinical Psychologist (I should know better, but I ride 'cause I like to ride. No other reason makes sense.) Yes, I've said enough. :sleep:

My name is Bucky, my wife is Robin, and we live south of Tomball. I've been riding since 1966, paid my way through college wrenching in a Honda Triumph shop in Lafayette IN. Current ride is a '99 Concours (Moby Grape) with minor farkles. I put 7k on it and 3k on my truck last year. I commute on the bike most of the time, and ride on weekends with my wife. We also do stuff with the Houston BMWCCA and COG.

In real life, I am an engineer. Otherwise, call me "Mr. Toad" - if it goes fast, I like it and may be able to tweak a bit more out of it!

We'll probably hit PO's in the next few weeks to meet some of the local folks.

Back