• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

communications

ddavis

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Davis
I need help with the whole bike to bike communications thing. I want a helmet headset that will plug into any radio I decide to buy. My reasoning is based on a low budget. I want to buy cheap FRS radios and be able to upgrade to motorcycle specific radios later without, having to replace the helmet headsets.

Is this posible or, am I just being too cheap? I am looking for a cord that will adapt an 8 pin cord to an 1/8 stereo plug or, something to that effect.

This is so confussing! :brainsnap

Hey, David,

On the Rick's Rides mailing list, there's a guy, Mark Milam, who's very handy at concocting whatever connectors you require. He built some cables for me to connect my current headset to 1) my Nady FRS; and 2) stereo stuff. You might inquire with him about specifics...

Having said that, I'm close to switching over to a full Autocom system with their headsets, and paying the big buck$ for whatever cables I need to connect all manner of devices together...

Best of luck...

Thanks, I will e-mail him when I have made a decision on the headset.
It's comforting to know it's possible to do what I want.

I like the Collett 900Mhz Communicators.

Adios,

We have the older model 900Mhz Collett's. I really liked them. Easy to use. Worked out to about 1-1/2 miles. Also, nothing had to be wired to the bike. The entire setup is on you so it goes everywhere with you. This is nice if you are swapping bikes with other people. The drawback is that you can only talk with other Colletts. The advantage of the Autocom/FRS setup is that ideally you can talk with anyone else using the FRS stuff. All you have do do is find out what channels they are using. If you go for the more powerful FRS transmitters, you will actually have to get an FCC license. Haven't done that so I have no idea what is required.

Adios,

The FCC licence is about $75.00 and, a simple form. I deal with the FCC a lot being a cable guy. :-|

I borowed a pair of Chatterbox FRS for a ride to Barttlesville, OK. this coming weekend so, if they work out I may go for the easy to find and replace stuff. :shrug:

ddavis said:
The FCC licence is about $75.00 and, a simple form. I deal with the FCC a lot being a cable guy.

Is this license similar to the license you had to get for a CB radio back in the mid 70's? Where you get call letters?

ddavis said:
I borowed a pair of Chatterbox FRS for a ride to Barttlesville, OK. this coming weekend so, if they work out I may go for the easy to find and replace stuff.

Why are you riding to B'Ville, OK? If you don't mind me asking. What route are you taking?

I ride up there occaisionally for work. I usually go directly to Ponca City, but sometimes I have to go stay at the Phillips Hotel for a few days.

Last time I went up through east Texas and Western Arkansas. I think next time I am going to try US 259 through eastern OK.

I'm going to pick up my dad's new Goldwing from the dealer there. That is where he got the last one because, the price was right. He bought a 2003 new, with ABS, for the same price as his last '03 without ABS. He can't walk yet because, he totaled his other one in December so, he asked me to ride it back for him! :-D

I'm taking his Shadow 1100, 2 up, with my girlfriend and she will ride the cruiser back. Dad's paying the tab and, I get a free vacation with the girlfriend! :bigokay:

I will most likely take 75 to the turnpike and stop in Tulsa for the night. I'm not leaving untill Friday afternoon and I have to be there Saturday morning to inspect the bike and, make sure they installed all the stuff dad wanted and, sign paperwork.

The ride back will take a while, if I'm lucky. :twisted: I haven't thought that far ahead but, I won't take the short way back. Any suggestions?

I have to be back by Sun. eve.

I have ridden hwy 1 (Tahlahina scenic drive) many times on my KLX but, never on anything else.

I love eastern OK. When I get time, I will look at the maps. I need more time! :-(

By the way, The FCC licence doesn't assign call letters. I wasn't in the know back then but, the FCC has changed a lot in the last 12 years. They only get "pro active" when there is a complaint. Most people who buy gmrs radio's don't even file. I do not endorse nor emply that anyone ignore the law nor ask me how to spell! :lol:

Here is what I did after I realized that all of the communcications systems are very expensive. I bought 2 walkie talkies from Wal-Mart for $30 and then purchased http://www.sportbikes.com/UBBimages2/688472-ptt system.jpg 2 push-to-talk systems that just plug right into the walkies. The PTT system let me easily mount the headsets and mics into our helmets and has a detachable cord so if I need to remove my helmet I just unplug it right at the base of the helmet and can leave everything else intact. The push-to-talk part velcros right to the handlebar and works great. I can use the Hands free option if I wanted but the wind noise makes that a pain. Since pushing the button is so convenient I just use that. We use it all the time and the only real problem I have with it is wind noise once you get over about 60mph. But my guess is most communications devices will have a similar problem unless you use a fully enclosed helmet with no air getting up from underneath. The PTT systems are about $60 each so the whole set up set me back $150 which when I weighed it against the cost of 2 Chatterboxes is quite reasonable. Just an idea for anyone who wants to talk but is on a budget.

:tab What kind of range do you get from the walkie talkies? Where do you put the actual walkie talkie? How weather proof is the setup? I typically only use bike-to-bike communications when touring so weather is always an issue.

:tab Keeping the mike as close to your mouth as possible will help with the wind noise. Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity of the mic?

:tab The Collett's work really well up to around 95-100mph. So for all real riding conditions they are great. The ability to adjust the sensitivity of the mic is a big factor in their effectiveness.

:tab Do you use rechargeable batteries? If so, how long do they usually last?

Adios,

I have never really tested the range because usually we are no more than regular riding distance when there are about 4 of us riding. On a Thanksgiving trip it proved very convenient because some of us were on bikes and some in a car and we could all communicate because the car just used the walkie like normal. I dont usually ride in the rain but I would imagine it to be very good in weather because I wear the walkie under my jacket and the cord runs up under my clothes and right into my helmet. The PTT piece is all rubber and sealed so I imagine it would be fine to get wet. The walkie uses AA batteries and I've been using them for about 5 months and they have plenty of juice but it all depends on how much you use them. I have the mic mounted directly in front of my lips but maybe it is just a mic sensitivity issue. That is not adjustable that I know of. At a light it sounds like crystal clear but like I said around 60 or so it seems to pick up alot of the wind noise. We use it when we ride with my parents and the 4 of us can talk to each other no problem. It would be nice if I could get that crisp clear sound at freeway speeds but I'm still experimenting with mic placement. For the price it works pretty good. S-

Headset

I use a J&M on my Concours.It works great; but is way too expensive. I tested out th Autocom system. I liked it bettter than my J&M; but it was too expensive since I had to change the headset speakers. On my VFR I and everyone I ride with use the 5 mile Chatterbox. We switched from the 2 milers and the difference is noicable. Yes, it is the same license that you get for a CB Radio. I don't know how much it costs; since I've never known anyone who got one. I'm not even sure who would arrest you. Hopes ths is useful.

Any chance you might be able to hook up with us for some riding Sunday? We will be heading out towards FM 942 and 1745 over to Chester and eventually Colemesneil. Then out towards Jasper, Burkeville, Hemphill, San Augustine, etc,... We'll be in Leggett on US 59 probably about 11:30am. Here are the rest of the details.

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=1175

Adios,

Have any of you folks tried the noise cancelling microphones that are out there? If it works in helicopters etc. you would think it would work with bike wind noise.

When I was using the Collett Communicators, the wind noise was never really much of an issue until you started approaching 100 plus mph :angel:

I have a noise cancelling mic and it seems to work well. I have problems trying to operate the radio with the lack of instructions that came with the unit. Luckily, I know a Chatterbox authorized technician.

Ok, silly question - is GMRS compatible with CB radios? Are there communicators out there that are? What is that frequency called?

So the 5 mile chatterboxes are ok I guess, and can take a noise cancelling mike?

Are those the helmet clip on types I've see pictures of?

Now I need to fond a knowledgeable dealer for them in Dallas I guess.

Here is the name and number of a chatterbox tech in Allen. This is what he does, so he should be able to help you with everything.

Barry Sage
972-519-0394
precom@attbi.com

Back