• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cruise control

Reaction score
What type of cruise controls do you all use. I looked into one called the Throttlemeister. It looks nice but, at $130 +tax, that's a little pricey.

Sprintguy said:
What type of cruise controls do you all use. I looked into one called the Throttlemeister. It looks nice but, at $130 +tax, that's a little pricey.

Yup, that's what I've got...

rgrip40sm.jpg

It was a bit skitchy to set up Just Right, but it works nicely enough. Actually, that ThrottleRocker you see is an infinitely better value... 8-)

Like Buck000 said, the throttle rocker is probably a better deal price wise.

I also have throttlemeisters installed on my touring bike. The important misconception is that these are NOT a cruise control, but a throttle lock. The main difference is that the throttlemeister does not set you to a constant speed, but to a constant throttle position. What's the difference you ask? When touring along on the highway, with the throttlemeister set, you might be keeping a constant 70 mph on straight level ground, but as you start getting into elevation changes, you might speed up to 100+ or slow down to 45mph. It's kind of annoying for other drivers on the road when you're chugging along at 75mph, only to suddenly slow down to 45 when the road starts to climb uphill.

All that said, the throttlemeisters are a favorite addition to my bike, and I went with the heavier model which helped to dampen out a little more vibration from the bars. I still work the throttle with them engaged, but like the throttle rocker, I'm able to work it without the constant pressure/position I'd have to use without 'em.

Oh ... and they look nice with that stainless steel finish.

Howdy,

:tab RC is spot on with his review. I installed the Throttlemeisters because they loog great and dampen the vibes because they are heavy. On my 01 VFR, I actually have a Vista Cruise installed in addition to the TM's. I use it primarily. It is easier to engage/disengage. If you just want the TM's for looks and damping, they will sell you two left end weights pretty cheap ($40 or so I think?)

Adios,

I've got the Vista Cruise too. It is very easy to trun on & off. You can even adjust the throttle while it is on. It doesn't lock the throttle, but rather hold it lightly for you. I have the big version on my Valkyrie. It is a little harder to override, but I wouldn't consider taking a long trip without it. At $24.95, its the way to go IMHO.

Howdy,

:tab When it is locked, my thumb rests right under the lever. If I chop the throttle, the lever gets flicked to the off position without me even thinking about it. However, even if I missed, the lock has such a light hold that overriding it is done without a thought. You can easily override the TM as well. It is more difficult to engage/disengage because you have to hold the throttle and set the lock one handed.

Adios,

I love my throttlemiester myself. You can still turn the throttle just find. It works great. I was wanting something first rat on my new bike. I had a Vista Cruise on the 900rr and it was great as well. I did not like the NEP versions though. I took it back to the store. Another reason why i couldn't go with the vista cruise on the gixxer was due to the throttle sleeve. It has moulding on it to keep the grip on it without glue.

THanks for all the replys.

I bought the Vista Cruise for 7/8" bar for late model Yamaha's. The install was pretty easy and the picture from Tourmeister was a help too.

Hey Brian,

:tab Did I see you leading a train of sportbikes out of Navasota on FM 3090 this afternoon (Sat)? All I recall were seeing tentacles dragging all over the road off of off a gixxer somthing :-P I was on the blue VFR 800 with a topcase on the back. 3090 was nice and clean today! :dude:

:tab Kelly, glad you like the Vista Cruise. I think you will really enjoy having it!

Adios,

I've got a NEP on the SV and a Vista Cruise on my Gold Wing and I can't honestly say the Vista Cruise works any better or worse than the NEP. The NEP takes up less room on the bar and can't rust, which is cool. But, the Vista Cruise looks more impressive so long as it stays corrosion free. But really, if it ever does get corroded, it wasn't that expensive that I couldn't replace it. With either one, you can adjust the throttle with the lock on or turn off the throttle. Both are very quick to disengage, too.

I haven't owned a bike in 30 years, street bike, that didn't have a throttle lock. They've all had NEP types except for the Vista Cruise I bought for the Wing a couple of years ago. I was going to put that Vista Cruise on the SV, actually, but there wasn't really enough room on the bar or grip for it, so I took the NEP off the Wing and stuck the Vista Cruise on that and put the NEP on the SV.

BTW, my wing is a GL1100, 83, year before the for real cruise control came out on the Aspencade. That was in 84 on the GL1200.

Back