View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Pedro

Recommend me a new ride

I got inspired by another thread and decided to start my own.

Here's the deal: I'm 6'6", 210-240 pounds depending on what season I'm in, and starting to get old. I'm 29, but I have bad knees, a steel rod in my left femur, jacked-up hips, bone spurs on my ankles, a back that acts up periodically, and ghosts of old injuries in my hands, wrists, and elbows.

I also have a 60-mile round trip ride to work each day that is nearly all highway. I also rarely have the time or funding for good twistie rides or trackdays anymore, and I'm finally starting to come around to the idea that I need to step back from riding supersports and try to get myself onto something like an FZ or VFR.

Trouble is, I have no real seat time on anything like that. My wife had a ZZR400 in Japan, and that thing was so comfortable that I routinely jumped on it to go somewhere instead of my GSXR1100 that was a torture rack by comparison.

I'm looking for something with more legroom than what I've got now, but still has the ground clearance and performance to make me happy. If I can't drag a knee on it, I'm not very likely to be interested. I'm not looking for something big and heavy, but luggage options would be nice to have. I'd also like some kind of wind protection, since the majority of my riding is done at highway speeds. If at all possible, I'd also like to see a drop in my insurance rates. I won't be buying new, and would like something with a roughly equivalent value to my 2004 ZX636R, although if I could get something cheap enough I might even be able to keep my pumpkin.

I'm looking for opinions and information here, as I know very little about these type things. Please share your wisdom with me. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly about all of my options.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04302 seconds with 9 queries