• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flat tire repair kit?

Reaction score
I have a basic radial plug kit and have had great luck with it but, what do you all do for air for the tires when you don't a gas station close by to air up the tire after the repair?

Howdy,

:tab I have a small device that takes CO2 cartridges, pokes a hole in the top to open them, then lets you push a lever to release the gas into the tire. It is the second one down on this list:

Tire Inflators

:tab Replacement CO2 cartridges can be had from Wal-Mart or Academy for very little. I think a 25 pack is about $8-10. This gadget will accept threaded or nonthreaded cartridges. Some only work with the threaded kind and those are harder to find and much more expensive. It took 6-7 cartridges to reinflate my rear tire from 5 psi back up to 42 psi.

:tab I also have an electric pump that will run off the bikes battery. Got it from the Riderwarehouse catalog. It sucks. We gave up on it and used the CO2 instead. After nearly 10 minutes of waiting for the pump to barely put any pressure in the tire at all, we had it full with the CO2 in a few minutes.

:tab There is also a newer electric pump out now that supposed to be much better, I am trying in vain to find a link to it somewhere. I'll have to get back to you on that one. If anyone else knows what I am referring to, please post up. It is a small silver brick sized 12V compressor. I think Cycle World had a little blurb on it not long ago.

Adios,

I have installed a power outlet under my seat for both my tire pump and my cell phone charger on trips. Go down and buy a Campbell Housefield compressor for ten bucks at Walmart. Now, it's too big you say? All the size is the plastic housing. Take you a 2 pound shop hammer and whack that plastic housing all to heck, or, get a screw driver and take it apart... :lol: ... and take the actual pump out and wrap the switch with electrical tape such that the exposed connections aren't exposed. The resulting pump is half the size of the pump depicted in that picture and I have one Campbell Housefield pump that I've taken to the races and used every race weekend for 5 seasons now and it's still going strong. A good deal for ten bucks! I keep the one I took the case off of in a set of day bags I throw on the SV when I go for a long ride. You can take a hack saw or cut off wheel to the fan on the motor, too, and save even more room since it doesn't really need that fan outside the plastic case.

I've heard a lot of people have done that with good results. How long will it take to inflate something like a 180/55-17 rear from totally flat to 40 psi?

Adios,

I use it all the time with my race bikes and it don't take, but a minute or two to pressure 'em up. I run the motor on the bike if I'm going to run the compressor so the battery won't have any chance of going flat, but really, I don't think it pulls that much on the battery.

Those CH compressors will air up a 255x15 off road truck tire in about 5 minutes. The bike ain't nuttin', LOL.

pumps

Hello friends
I have a cheapo cambell housfield(sp) one from wall mart like 10 bucks, i removed all the plastic and cut the cig lighter end off and put on 2 alligator clips fits into a small crown royal bag. Turns out at our spring rally in the hill country i picked up a nail in my new rear tire. I was able to plug it and air it back up. made it back to houston riding 2-up, no problems.
later
Michael Hansen

Re: pumps

michael Hansen said:
Hello friends
I have a cheapo cambell housfield(sp) one from wall mart like 10 bucks, i removed all the plastic and cut the cig lighter end off and put on 2 alligator clips fits into a small crown royal bag. Turns out at our spring rally in the hill country i picked up a nail in my new rear tire. I was able to plug it and air it back up. made it back to houston riding 2-up, no problems.
later
Michael Hansen

Hmm, sounds like the win :-D

I have both the CO2 and the pump :-P

Adios,

Re:

I carry a regular foot air pump under the seat of the ZR-7 and one of those tire repair kits (gun type) but the small CH compressor seems the way to go....!!!! :chug:

Anyone knows the part number..??

I did a quick search at the CH website...Is this one..??

inf_RP6100_500x320.gif

pump

hello friends
That's not the one i got but as long as it is cheap should be ok, the cheaper the better. i took all the plastics off so it was just a small pump, hose and electrical cable. smaller is better.
later
Michael Hansen

I did the same thing. Got mine at Wally World for $6.97 on sale. Stripped it out of the case and have used it for three years now. By far the best $7 investment I've ever made.

How about a pic of it without all the plastic?

Adios,

The CH pump without the case is a good idea. When I sold the Goldwing, I kept the tiny accessory pump that was built in for the suspension and such. :angel: Could probably pick one up at a junkyard or on ebay. I reckon the CH is more bang for the buck though...

gotdurt said:
The CH pump without the case is a good idea. When I sold the Goldwing, I kept the tiny accessory pump that was built in for the suspension and such. :angel: Could probably pick one up at a junkyard or on ebay. I reckon the CH is more bang for the buck though...

The pump on my wing went out on the way to Tucson and I pulled into a walmart somewhere around Fort Stockton and bought a CH compressor and air zirt and modified the pump to accept the CH compressor. That was about 6 years ago and that pump is still doing service in that gold wing. The pump is considerably more compact that the original, too. If I get time tomorrow and think about it, I'll take a pick of it and put it up here. Been busy in the shop today.

Back