• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need help. What size bike should I get?

Reaction score
Ok I am seriously looking into getting a good used late model cruiser this year.... I am looking at Metric cruisers like a v star 650 or Aero 750 or Vulcan 900. I really like the Classic Look.

My question is, Is the V star 650 big enough for me and my girlfriend to ride 2up on trips out to the hill country from Houston and will we still be able to maintain 70mph on the highway?

I am 5'10 175lbs she is 5'7 150lbs.

Any other recommendations on motorcyles from your side is appreciated too.

Thanks
:confused:

Probably not. Even a 750 or 800 V-twin is going to be a little short on power for what you want. Were I you I'd look into a Vulcan 900 or larger. Just my two cents.

I think for two-up rides as you've described, you would be wanting more much quickly if you started with a 650 or so. A 750 might be OK, the 900 should be no problem.

I would just go for the V-Star 1100. It is still very light weight for an 1100, stone reliable, disc brakes front and rear, shaft drive, and has the power to 2-up all day long. Oh yeah, and no water cooling to mess with. I love me some simple motors!

Don't rule out the dyna family from HD. I think the 650 would be fine in town, but on the highways you be wanting more. I second the 1100 or the Honda 1300s as well. Go sit on them and see which one you like

In my opinion, having ridden all the bikes you mentioned, the 750 shadow is the best bang for your buck. There isn't that much power diffence between the vulcan 900 and the Shadow 750. Also the 750 shadows can be found used for dirt cheap. Plus they make everything under the sun for them.

The Shadow 650 has squirly handling and the VStar 650 is just underpowered. Place full luggage and a heavy guy and you may have trouble on windy days doing highway speeds. (This happened to my brother in AZ)

Another possible idea is to go with a Bonneville. You get a classic look and reasonable performance. Plus, who doesn't want to be like Steve McQueen.

BonnevilleSE_2009_510x347.jpg

bonneville_overview_main_2008.jpg

9614.jpg

bud-ekins-escape.jpg

Isn't there a rule of thumb? You know, like "Measure the width of the butts to be on the bike and multiply by 22.5," or something like that? :lol2:

Depending on your budget, you may want to look at a GS. My friend love the space and comfort she has on the back of her husband's GSA.

Isn't there a rule of thumb? You know, like "Measure the width of the butts to be on the bike and multiply by 22.5," or something like that? :lol2:

That's what this is for:mrgreen:

e08100322.jpg

Ok I am seriously looking into getting a good used late model cruiser this year.... I am looking at Metric cruisers like a v star 650 or Aero 750 or Vulcan 900. I really like the Classic Look.

Of those three, the Vulcan 900 would be the way to go for 2-up. The 900 is FI'd which neither of the other two are for additional advantage over the smaller displacements.
Other middleweight possibilities are
Shadow 1100
Vstar 1100
VTX1300
Vstar 950
Vstar 1300
The Star 950 and 1300 are FI'd but the 1100s are all carbureted along with Honda's VTX1300.

Zook doesn't have a classic style cruiser in the middle displacement category. The S83 is more of a 80's metric custom style in my opinion. Still a nice bike though.

Honda VTX 1300
reliable
affordable used one's everywhere
lots of aftermarket goodies
750 & 1100 are too light and weak for highway

The VStar 1100 is going away. That's why Yama introduced the 950 but with FI. They'll be replacing the 1300 next but not sure with what size. Also, the 1100 has a difficult access point for home oil changes. Just something to consider.

I owned aV-Star 650 for awhile. It would run 70 with just me on it but the howling would drive you crazy. Ended up with a V-Star 950 which is great for one and maybe two up Problem is they were new in 09 so probably none on the used market yet. New they were only 7 to 9 thousand

The VStar 1100 is going away. That's why Yama introduced the 950 but with FI. They'll be replacing the 1300 next but not sure with what size. Also, the 1100 has a difficult access point for home oil changes. Just something to consider.

The 1100 was like the 650 in that you had to prop the bike up then lay down on the ground to check check the oil. It was almost impossible to get the drain plug out th change the oil. The Star 950 changed all of that.

They are phasing out the Star 1300? Didn't that just come out two or three years ago as a replacement (sort of) for the 1100?

Cruiser displacement is definitely not = to other types of bikes. My friend had a Honda Shadow 750 for his first bike and it was a great beginner bike. He and his wife were right around your sizes too. They rode it two up around town - but on the highway he always said it felt like it needed another gear and was down on power. In fact, my Ninja 250 matched his bike almost exactly in acceleration and top speed (around 100). He'd get a little jump on me right off the line but he was shifting into second when I was getting into the powerband on the 250 - then it was neck to neck all the way to 100. Then the turns came.... :rider:

Anyway, it was a fun bike to ride (I rode it a few times) but for two up riding and trips I think I'd be looking at LEAST at an 1100 in a cruiser. To me, cruisers are good at just cruising, which means they should feel nice and relaxed and comfortable for the long haul on the open road. I think you need a big bike to accomplish that feeling - but that's just me (and I'm not a cruiser guy - yet).

Have you been on similar bikes? The 650 will do what you've asked. Will most of your riding be two up, or only on occasion? I'm not into cruisers, but when I was hot for sport bike the 600 was hands away over the litre bikes. Compact, lighter, some better economy, consumables etc. Sure a drop in power, but plenty of grins.

Get honest with yourself and learn how much you want the power. My Thruxton is huge fun factor, but the S3 satiates a lust the Bonnie cannot. In my case, I really want both.

My question is, Is the V star 650 big enough for me and my girlfriend to ride 2up on trips out to the hill country from Houston and will we still be able to maintain 70mph on the highway?

I am 5'10 175lbs she is 5'7 150lbs.

Any other recommendations on motorcyles from your side is appreciated too.

Thanks
Have you considered the Honda VTX 1300 Retro? I had one and it's a great all around cruiser. Very reliable, good power and above all, well balanced. Also, many used ones out there. But, many Honda dealers have the non-current years, Brand New (i.e. 2007, 2008) for around $6,500 - $6,800.

Good luck,
Anbark22

I doubt the 1300s are going anywhere anytime soon,they are pretty new and a popular seller. This is the last year for the 1100s which I have seen plenty for 3500 bucks. There are plenty of decent big cruisers out there to choose from. just depends on what your primary concerns.. do you want air/water/oil cooled ,carbed/fuel injected ,shaft/belt/chain bags, cruise.. so many things to consider.. Whats the budget like?

Thanks

No, it well not pull 2 up at 70. Go with an 1100, it well give you some needed top end for passing. The 650 can just barely hit 80. It has no lungs. I had one, looks good but thats about it.

If you want a cruiser look at the Magna, V 4 shaft drive and dirt cheap. A 5 to 10 year old bike with low mileage can be had for 2 to 5 grand.

The 650, 750 idea is not the way to go. Suzuki M or C50 do a pretty good job and there are some good deals on them out there. I don't think you are going to find too many Yamaha 950's at a reasonable price. This article is a couple of years old but may help you some. Nothing has changed much on any of these bikes except the intro of the Yamaha. I don' think you are going to see much difference in usable power between the Fuel Injected 800-950 and the carbed 1100's. If you want to notice any major power difference you would have to go to at least a 1300. Just my opinion.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2006-lightmiddleweight-cruiser-comparison-3972.html

I owned aV-Star 650 for awhile. It would run 70 with just me on it but the howling would drive you crazy.

The 650 can just barely hit 80. It has no lungs.

I don't know where you guys are getting those numbers. I saw 100 on mine, not that I was thrilled with the wind blast. You guys DID know the transmission was a 5 speed, not just 4, right?
:mrgreen:

That said... I remember going out on a ride with a buddy who had a Thunderbird Sport. He was probably 50 pounds heavier than me, AND had his wife on the back. I'd always felt like the 650 got up and moved pretty well in traffic until the first time he just took off and left me behind.

A while later when I'd traded the V-Star for a SV650, he said "Man, I liked it better when you were slow!"
:rofl:

Back