• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How bizzare is this?

V-lust

Reaction score
Found this in the local paper daily tidbits sheet today. More details may come with the regular Thursday paper. And I never really worried about skunks or cats or squirrels.

Wise County Messenger Update
Monday, October 31, 2005

TRAFFIC DEATH – A Boyd man was killed before dawn this morning in an unusual motorcycle accident three miles south of Boyd on FM 730. Dead is Brad Palmer, 49, of Boyd. DPS Trooper Tom Godwin said that a skunk on the highway got caught in a wheel of Palmer’s motorcycle and the cycle flipped end-over-end. Palmer was thrown about 150 feet from the motorcycle onto the highway. Later, a semi-trailer truck hit the motorcycle that was sitting in the north-bound lane. Palmer was pronounced dead at the scene by Peace Justice C. D. Archer.

Man, that is so sad! Guess my karma generated from a lifetime of dodging the semi-suicidal creatures on the road has been paying off after all.

Later, a semi-trailer truck hit the motorcycle that was sitting in the north-bound lane.

:scratch I wonder how long he was on the ground before anyone found him? That must have been one tough skunk!!

It could also be just a wild story, I can't see how they would determine what happened exactly after so much time and the bike getting hit by an 18 wheeler.

I also can't see a skunk locking up a bike wheel, though maybe it is possible as I have sen a few feet lock up bycicle tires when I was a kid, but tennis shoes are tougher than a skunk.

Dyna Sport said:
I also can't see a skunk locking up a bike wheel, though maybe it is possible as I have sen a few feet lock up bycicle tires when I was a kid, but tennis shoes are tougher than a skunk.

I've hit one at 15 yards with a 3" load of 00 buck through a super-full choke and seen it just scurry away.

A skunk, not a tennis shoe.

All depends if he was hard on the front brake when the skunk got in the front wheel.

How unfortunate!

I had a cat come out from the shadows one night while riding thru my subdivision at 20 MPH on my V65 Magna. It struck my front tire, which caused a slight tank-slapper type shimmy. It was a hard hit. I was headed straight for a stack of bricks, the type at a driveway with a mailbox in it! That would have been sudden stop for me if I'd been going 2x as fast. I was going slow enough that I had time to stay on the pavement. When I got home there was some cat hair stuck between my wheel and tire, in the bead!
The cat survived, I suppose. It wasn't killed in impact, because I caught a glimpse of it in my rear view mirror flopping arond in the street like mad, then it took off running into the shadows again.
From that experience I discovered it doesn't take much of a hit to send you off the road at speed. I can only imagine what would have happened if that cat had made it part-way thru my wheel and lodged in the fender and fork.

I've also experienced the Huffy Toss while cleaning the mud from my front wheel where it was dragging my forks once when I was a youngster, while riding the bicycle at speed. My tennis shoe got in too close and found the spokes...next thing I'm doing is wondering why I'm laying on the ground!

With all the events that had to take place for this accident to even happen.......It was just this guy's time to go. :brainsnap

Indeed, incredibly unfortunate.

However, in the video posted earlier in this thread (after closer examination) never even hit the animal. He panicked and locked up the front wheel and flipped. The creature probably never knew how close it got. :-| I can't imagine the bike damage. :shock:

Locking up the front tire and flying skyward is very different from having the carcus getting lodged places it shouldn't. How incredibly unfortunate.

if your going fast enough to slide 150 feet how does it get in the tire? if you think it would just go in, i recomend you go and turn your fan on high then try and touch the celling with out getting hit by a fan blade lol, tell me how it goes ( dont try this with if you have metal fan blades lol)

zero4o3 said:
if your going fast enough to slide 150 feet how does it get in the tire? if you think it would just go in, i recomend you go and turn your fan on high then try and touch the celling with out getting hit by a fan blade lol, tell me how it goes ( dont try this with if you have metal fan blades lol)

Stick your fist between the forks and wheel as it is turning, bet you hand ends up on the other side of the fork... but that's just a guess... kinda how the snapping rollers work on a corn picker.

I hit a coon dog once and just rolled right over him. I've hit smaller animals with no problems other than to the animal. But, I was riding though a parking lot another time, was this coke can in the way. I intentionally ran it over and it got stuck on the wheel, went up in the fender, and locked the wheel. :lol:. Fortunately, I was in first gear and a snail's pace. I have avoided coke cans ever since.

Gilk51 said:
Saw this on another forum - small animal impact video - scary...

animal hit
This guy looks like he just got a hand full of front brake. That critter was not stuck in his front tire. Given a short wheelbase, fantasic brakes, and ultra-sticky tires, many sportbikes will flip forward if the driver is overly aggressive with that right hand.

The only additional information in the Thursday paper was the victim wasn't wearing a helmet. Seems that those of us who wear helmets in this county are in the minority.

Back