• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

crack sealant

pdef

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
I got my parts in this week and when going over everything this morning I found a 2 inch crack on my headlight cover. This wasnt from the accident so I am thinking someone knocked it off my work bench :-? .

Anyways, does anyone know of something that will keep water out and won't melt from the headlights?

Are you saying the glass is cracked or the plastic housing around the headlights?

Adios,

The plastic. It's not missing anything, just a hairline crack. I ride my bike in the rain a lot and don't want it to get inside and fry the bulbs.

Well, if it is the plastic, that means it will be up under the front upper cowling and out of sight. So ugliness of the repair is not as big an issue. I would think that some kind of plastic weld goop would do it. You might want to take a soldering iron with a V shaped tip and run it along the crack to make the crack a V shape. This will give the goop a place to get down into and to have a good surface on each side of the crack for bonding. I don't have any particular brand or type of goop in mind. I used some to do some ABS plastic welding not long ago that sets up rock hard... fast. So I had to work quick! But it worked really well. You might even be able to use something like Estes model glue :shrug:

Adios,

Thanks Scott. Sunday I am going to attempt to put the bike together and try jumping it off my truck. With any luck it will run :-) . My helmet is due in Wednesday. It took a little while due to complications with my credit card (read: lack of funds). So hopefully I will be back on two wheels in a week.

How are the body parts doing? All healed up?

Adios,

Yeah, just a sensitive right ankle still if anything solid hits it.

Back