• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tragedy Averted

Trip

Reaction score
Today, on my way home from work, I witnessed one of the scariest moments involving a motorcycle that I can remember. At least with one that I was not riding.

Let me try and set the scene. I am southbound on a 2-lane city street, coming up to a cross street/stoplight. The light is red, there are three vehicles backed up at the light (third one being a full sized SUV). Then a gap in the stopped traffic and a driveway to the right allowing two cars to exit, then another car then me (Chevy Truck). One car in the driveway is wanting to turn right and is waiting for traffic to move so he can merge in, the Mini-SUV behind is wanting to turn left, but is just sitting there, even tho there is room for her to make her left. I am thinking, go woman, go before traffic blocks you in. But danger lurks.

After a few seconds, she starts to make her move. Scanning the traffic ahead I see a motorcycle traveling westbound on the cross street ahead. With his signal on, his right turn signal. Right at this point things start happening in ----slow----motion..........

I can see it coming, just as sure as I don't know WHAT to do. I'm thinking, no, no, NOOOOO!!!!
The mini-SUV is across my lane and still moving to head north. The bike has now made the right turn and is heading north, only yards away. They are on a collision course. Neither can see the other because of the BF-SUV. SUPER----slow----motion now and I am panicked more than I ever was during the smiley bag incident or the other dozen get-offs I've had. What to do. What to do! I am feeling totally helpless with imminent tragedy unfolding before my eyes.

My drivers side window is open due to the nice day, and I do the only thing I can think of and lay down on the horn as hard as I can. Without even meaning to I am yelling NOOOOOO at the top of my lungs. I don't know if the motorcyclist heard either noise, but he did look in my direction, just at the last minute and saw the front of the car coming out right in front of him and did a perfect swerve, missing the front bumper by inches. Literally INCHES !!! The woman in the car looked quite surprised, and was maybe even more surprised to hear me YELL, "You Stupid B&*%H!!!!" As she passed by me just a second later.

I probably shouldn't have done that. She really had no way to see the bike, and was being quite tentative in her turn, right up until the moment she decided to GO, and go she did, and almost took out a brother. The guy on the bike did exactly the right thing. All except being aware of the possibility of a left-turning cage, from the gap in the stopped traffic.

It's springtime again. Rusty skills. PLEASE, let's ALL be careful out there. Please.

Near Miss

I wonder if any of the others saw this? Makes you wonder. The size of SUV's are getting scary. What is bad is that the big SUV could have flashed it's light to warn the bike what was unfolding behind it. As a biker I like to look around even if I'm in a cage. You made a big difference today.

Ted,

Yep, I concur on all counts. When I drive I still see things from the saddle, always have. Probably because I've been riding since I was 14, and really did not drive until I was 18, and still consider riding my primary source of transportation.

As I pulled up alongside the four cars in front of me after the incident (I was turning left two blocks up), I looked over at each of them, still shaking, and was surprised to see all of them seemingly oblivious to what had just transpired.

Funny thing, I was at that intersection about 30 minutes later than I would be normally. God works in strange ways.

Yeah, that was my reply above. Got to remember to sign in when replying off of the e-mail notification ;-)

I know how you feel, Steve. I've seen a few close calls between riders and cagers in Houston, and every time it reinforces my decision not to ride in the city. In any such confrontation, we are at a serious disadvantage.

Great work Steve! That situation was a textbook danger situation that 9 times out of 10 ends up bad. but you used your observation skills to save another rider. :-D Great work. I doubt any of the brain dead cagers around you even noticed the events unfolding. You were definitely there at that time for a reason. :angel:

way to go!! :) I have found that when in a cage and someone does something stupid it doesn't bother me, but when I am on a bike it pisses me off big time. so I know where your coming from when you exchanged pleasentries with the woman. LOL

STeve said:
Today, on my way home from work, I witnessed one of the scariest moments involving a motorcycle that I can remember. At least with one that I was not riding.

Aiy, it is quite amazing how your adrenaline can strt pumping when you are even involved.

About 3 weeks ago I saw an almost car on SUV. Lane 1 being left turn only, I was in lane 2 second to the white line with a small car in front. Advance turn light turns green, Explorer with a few people starts to go. On my left I see
a dark grey Crown Vic with tint doing about 55-60 crossing the white line.

As with STeve, I am yelling stop. Somehow the both drivers see each other and brake. The Crown Vic driver also swerved left, and wound up hitting the curb on the other side with the front wheel.

I was completely amazed that I did not see one **** of a collision (it would have been no accident), it would have been nice to see the Crown Vic hit the light post though. I suspect the car was Plano PD, but not sure.

STeve said:
It's springtime again. Rusty skills. PLEASE, let's ALL be careful out there. Please.

And writh Brian's story, remember, speed is good, but please pick the right time and place.

cheers,
Tom[/quote]

Back