• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country 3/12 - 3/14

Scott

Reaction score
The missus and I spent the weekend at Roddy Tree Ranch in Hunt, TX last weeknd. Since I have no luggage for the VFR and no rain gear for the wife, we trailered the bike out there Friday after work. It rained most of the way, so I was glad we did not try riding out.

The weather was not the best Saturday, either. It was misting/sprinkling all day so we only rode for ~50 miles. It was also in the upper 50's when we were riding and my wife only has a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. :eek: So, we drove around in the car to a couple of touristy type things and had a nice dinner at this little resturant that overlooks the Guadelupe river. The resurant was hosting a 'Sweet Potato Queen' festival while we were there. That provided some quality entertainment as a bonus. Imagine 40 or so ladies in sequined dresses wearing feather boas and cowboy hats with rhinestone tiaras consuming large quantities of alcohol. :chug:

While we were driving around Saturday we ran down to Leakey and went out 337 to the spot where I crashed my only other time out there. Believe it or not there is still a mark on the guard rail post where my 929 hit it. It was pretty sobering to look over the guard rail at the dropoff below. It sure did not look like that bad of a curve.

Sunday morning was better. While is was still a little foggy/misty, you could occasionally get a glimpse of the sun. After her experience Saturday in the wet and cold, my wife suggested that she stay at the cabin and read and relax while I go for a ride. Sure was nice of her. Did I mention this weekend getaway was her birthday present? :mrgreen:

I geared up and headed out around 8:00 am. It was a little cool at 58 degrees and the roads were still wet, but the sun kept peeking out so I was sure it would warm up and dry out. The cabins we were staying at were on Hwy 39 between Hunt and Ingram. I headed west on Hwy 39 through Hunt to Ranch Road 187. On Ranch Road 187 I went south to Vanderpool and west on Ranch Road 337. By this time the roads were drying out and the temps were in the upper 60's. I rode on 337 all the way to Camp Wood, past the site of my crash. Also, a note for anyone planning riding on 337 between Leakey and Camp Wood, there are a couple of places where they are bulding bridges and you have a gravel trail off to the side of the road and across the creek bed that you have to cross. And if if has rained recently there will more than likely be a few inches of water to ride through. I made it through without a problem, though. In Camp Wood I stopped for fuel and washed off my tail light so that it was visible again before heading north on Hwy 55 to Ranch Road 335. On Ranch Road 335 there were a couple of low water crossings that had ~6 in of water. I too 335 all the way to Hwy 41. I the went east on Hwy 41 to Ranch Road 1340 which took me past the replica of Stonehenge and then back to Hunt to pack up and leave. :-( When I got back to the cabin, it was in the lower 70's and the sun was out completely. :-|

Even though the weather wasn't the greatest, it was a good weekend and we liked the cabin we had at Roddy Tree Ranch. We will be going there again. You do have to be mindful of the wildlife, though. Of all the animals we saw behind the game fences (kangaroos, exotic deer, turkeys, etc), the scariest ones were the ones on the road. While I did not have a close call on the bike, I did have quite a few deer cross the road in front of me while riding. In the car Friday I almost got three deer standing in the middle of the Hwy 39. I did hit one animal while on the bike. It was on Hwy 41. I had been mindful of my speed up until this point, but I had a clear straight road so I sped up a bit and pow, I felt something hit my boot. At first I thought I had kicked up a rock. A glance in the mirror to see the remnants of a cloud of feathers told me I had hit a bird.

So what was your impression of the VFR now that you've been able to ride it on some good roads?

And where the heck are the pictures?

Adios,

After putting some miles on it I am regretting not getting a VFR earlier. When I got the CBR929, I was originally looking to buy a VFR, but the dealer would not budge of the VFR. However, they knocked a couple of grand off the 929. The 929 is great for it's intended purpose, but it was not comfortable at all.

Pictures.... well I have to say there was some beautiful scenery and quite a few picturesque photo ops, but I don't got no pictures. You see, I have just started a new job(again :-? ), and have been busier than a two peckered billy goat. So my total involvement in preparing for the trip was reserving the cabin, loading the bike, and packing the digital camera. Two out of three isn't bad. :oops:

:tab Do you have the sag on the suspension set up properly for your weight? Also, getting the compression and rebound damping set right on the back makes a HUGE difference in how the bike feels on the road!

:tab It looks like another maintenace day is looming for me. I have to do some work on both of the VFR's. You are welcoem to come up and I'll help you set the suspension up right.

Adios,

Good write-up, Scott. Even when the weather turns a little wet, the Hill Country is still a great place to be.

And I really envy you for the new VFR - that bike has just about every cool and useful accessory you could possibly desire already installed. Way to go! 8-)

Back