• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Big Bend April 12th - 15th

Howdy,

:tab Nice write up. We were out in the 33X's area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Didn't see very many LEO's but it was really crowded, especially on 337. We also ran 39 into Kerrville, it really is a nice ride. I agree with what you said about enjoying a nice relaxing pace instead of having to go as fast as you can. Sometimes I like to ride a road at 70mph and just never change the speed at all unless I absolutely have to slow down for a sharp corner. This is a real good way to get a rythm going and to have one of those rare Zen like rides. After reading yours and Brian Duelm's description of the roads in the Big Bend area, I am really wanting to get out there now!

:tab Thanks for the report!

Elliot, nice report. Man, you guys sure hit a lot of good roads in one fell swoop. Makes me want to ride out there again. :)

Sorry to hear about your LEO encounter.

I also find it hard to maintain control of the throttle as I get closer to home. I really need to work on that.

Excellent write up! My wife and I were out in that neck of the woods on Sunday, what a pefect day to ride. I was getting her ready for a full Big Bend trip, by going 350 miles in a very short time.

Yep, it was a pretty good trip all in all. I think if I were to do it again I'd plan way ahead and make reservations at the Gage hotel in Marathon for the first night and then stay in the park for the rest of the trip and just see the sights and ride highway 170 a couple of times or more. I don't think 118 is worth the extra time to stay so far north before heading south to Big Bend. One could easily spend 2 or 3 days just doing the park itself as opposed to the 3 hours we were there! :-)

Great report! That's my favorite region in Texas. I've travelled out there a number of times, beginning with a family vacation when I was 4 years old. I could spend a week or more out in the Big Bend area just exploring and absorbing the sublime experience of being in the desert. The ultimate trip for me would require trailering a streetbike and a KLR 650 in order to fully enjoy everything the area has to offer. Hmmm.... 8)

Back