• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from 1850 miles NE of San Antonio

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and figure it's time to say hello.Born and raised in New Jersey,but every time I get in the bike it just seems to want to leave this state.North is nice in the summer,but in the fall and spring,south and west are the way I go.After my first time thru the Hill Country and Big Bend I was hooked.I have found a lot of good info on this site about roads,camping and points of interest.A bit cold up here now,I have to wait for bike week before packing up and heading out again,but I plan on detouring on the way home via Prescott AZ with at least a week in the Hill Country.

Before anyone asks.....
Exit 36 off RTE 78
AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT SMELL IS!

Welcome. You're correct. It's hard to beat Big Bend and the Hill Country for great scenery and riding. Big Bend is even better if you're riding something that doesn't mind a bit of dirt (River road, Black Gap, etc). :rider:

bdhszy1 said:
Before anyone asks.....
Exit 36 off RTE 78
AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT SMELL IS!

That smell is Staten Island.
Where in Jersey? I have a sister in Hackettstown (NW) and my folks are out on Long Island. I try to make it out there when I can, and have thought about riding up in the fall next year.

Last edited:
I live in Warren,a small town about 30 miles from Hackettstown,and ride a K1100rs,so with the camping gear and loaded,I try to avoid dirt as it doesn't handle well and it tends to lose the screws in the bodywork.

bdhszy1 said:
I live in Warren,a small town about 30 miles from Hackettstown
I've got relatives all over the state; my mom was born in Elizabeth and my dad is buried in Beverly. Welcome to TWT and be sure to post up when you're heading this way.

Welcome to the site! How the heck did you find us?

Sleepy Weasel said:
I was going to ask how he picked San Antonio as his point of reference.
Because the heart of every Texan is in San Antone...

Picked San Antonio because it's in the center of the state and the only city that I like.I usually try to avoid cities,but that one I look forward to,I kind of like the river walk.I found this site from another site that asked "what other sites do you watch"

Welcome to TWT.

I am originally from NJ myself. I grew up mostly in Parsippany, but haven't lived there since 89. I have been back to visit here and there over the years, but unfortunately the last time I made it back to NJ was in 96 for a short visit with some friends before moving to Germany.

I'm a little familiar with your area................ in my younger days I made a few trips to Franks Chicken House in Manville. ;) :popcorn: :drool: :clap: lol

Do you know if it's still there ?

Phil

Phil
Graduated Parsippany HS,class 0f 67,my sister in 66 and my brother on 72(from the Hills).He lives in Sugarland now.The chicken house is still there,but it's a little too close to home for me to go to,being the town scoutmaster.But there are others a short bike trip away.

bdhszy1 said:
Phil
Graduated Parsippany HS,class 0f 67,my sister in 66 and my brother on 72(from the Hills).He lives in Sugarland now.The chicken house is still there,but it's a little too close to home for me to go to,being the town scoutmaster.But there are others a short bike trip away.

LOL.... yeah I guess that would probably be a bad thing for a Scoutmaster. You sure there's no way to work a visit into an Eagle Scout Project ? lol

Might not be there anymore (or the names could have changed by now...... haven't visited any of them since the mid 80's) but IIRC, Smile's in Ledgewood and Spanky's in West Orange are only a short bike ride from you. ;-)

Hehehe...... I don't know if this one is still there either, but have you ever visited Irv's BYOB in Bethlehem, PA ?

Man I miss those summer trips to the Jersey shore, Jersey sweet corn on the cob, Action Park (it's in Vernon), hiting the slopes at Vernon Valley / Great Gorge, ect.. :-(

I grew up in Binghamton, NY and went to college in Rochester, NY. Moved down here 3.5 years ago and so far I've loved it.

BTW... if you go through Prescott, say hi to my sister and brother in law for me. ;-) They've been living out there for about 6 years now and every year I go visit them I swear I'm gonna rent a bike, but I can only find Harleys to rent there. So, next year I'm making my first long multi-day tour out to see them.

Back