• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

One person's ride into the DeadZone!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

This site is worth the visit. A lone woman rides into the Deadzone of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster area in Russia. The photos are haunting.

The Deadzone

Adios,

Yup, I saw that yesterday. I really had not realized the magnitude of Chernobyl. I have a slightly better understand why some of the European anti-nuke folks are maniacal in their opposition.

Thought it would be cool to run WOT through the middle of town, no?

:tab It is right out of the old Sci-Fi's... nuclear wasteland, rotting old buildings, abandoned equipment... Very eerie. I guess it would really suck to crash if you go off the road!! Not only will you have to contend with physical injuries, but the radiation is worse when you get off the roads. Hmmm...

Adios,

That was very interesting, she is either very brave, or very dumb, I haven't decided which. That said, I wish I could go with her, once. I got to experience something similar, on the Island of Adak, in the Aluetian chain west of mainland Alaska. There used to be a large Navy base there, but with downsizing, it is now basically a gas station for military planes crossing the pacific. Once it was quite populated, with Navy folks and their families, now it just has a relative handfull of people, operating the bare bones operation. We were flying our C-130 from Elmendorf AFB to Yokota, outside of Tokyo, and landed for gas. We found a serious problem with one of our engines, and had to wait for a replacement part, for 8 days. They put us up in two houses, in the old base housing neighborhood. Probably a neighborhood of 100 houses or so. We were the only occupants, of the community! Quite eirie to say the least! We had plenty of time to walk all over the island, and beaches (though not too close to the water, those killer whales beach themselves to eat seals!) and you could be gone hours without seeing anyone. Buildings, stores, schools, but no people (or, radiation thankfully) I'ts an experience I will never forget!
TR
Brady TX

Scott, the link you posted doesn't work anymore. The corrected link is:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

If you haven't checked it out in a while she's added alot of GREAT photos since March 4th.

Enjoy.

P.S. Oops, I now see that someone has started a whole 'nuther thread on this topic with the new link. DOH! :mrgreen:

Back