• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Re: XR650L OWNERS SIGN IN

BRP008.jpg

taillights016.jpg
by the way, this is what you will see if you ride with me?

I went to Cycle Gear, they gave me some of their spoke weights that they don't use anymore. I slit some vacuum tube, put 2 pieces on 2 spokes and then slid the spoke weights down onto the vacuum tubes. I had balanced the wheel by putting a rod thru the axle hole and propping one end on the tailgate of my pick up. I can do 70mph with no shake.

WheelBalanced.jpg
i see you have a beadlock on the other side of the weights. i dont have a beadlock on the front. still may need to be balanced?????

I put the forks back down in the triples and the death wobble was not there at 70. I guess the 606s thru all my suspension settings out of the window. Air pressure helped but the moving of the forks made the most differ:rider:ence.

If you go straight across from the rim lock to the other side of the wheel (or count 18 nipples either way), you'll see that the opposite side from the rim lock is half-way in between the weights and the air valve. My rim lock is 3 oz, the weights are 2 oz and the air valve with nut and metal cap is 1 oz. Also, see that I put the "light spot" mark on the D606 on the wheel weight. You might benefit from a balancing, might not, depends on the balance of your specific tire really..
im thinking my rim may be out a little. gonna check it sat

hey IRIDERED did you bang yer rim.?? or do you just need a good new tire on the front end.?? to go with yer new back tire.........:rider:...........
not sure. tire looks fine. bigman seems to think i may have bent it a little off a jump that had a HARD landing. it looks like its bent some, i just need to check it. tooooo hot right now to mess with it. wish i could get the bike upstairs in my living room, but the staircase is NOT wide enough to :rider:ride:rider: it up the stairs:clap::clap::clap:.LMFAO>

Well guys... Somewhere on some poorly maintained dirt road in Gonzales county I pressed the button on the computer and saw a funny number: 10003. I had just passed the 10,000 mile mark and appropriately on dirt. All I have to do now is add anther 0 to it and I get to buy another bike.

Well guys... Somewhere on some poorly maintained dirt road in Gonzales county I pressed the button on the computer and saw a funny number: 10003. I had just passed the 10,000 mile mark and appropriately on dirt. All I have to do now is add anther 0 to it and I get to buy another bike.

Congratulations! I just passed 3400 miles on the XRL.

XR650L Jagg Oil Cooler Install

Well boys, I finally finished installing my Jagg Oil Cooler. I still need to test drive it for a while to see how it works but the install is complete. Thanks to JThompson for letting use his install as a template for mine and thanks to mcma111 for getting me a spare oil line. I did the mod to keep the oil temps down for when I'm running my 14/48T sprocket setup.

I wrapped some of the hose with a thick inner-tube near the engine and the frame to create somewhat of an insulation from the heat of the engine and frame. I zipped tied it in a few places to ensure that the hoses wouldn't move around too much and get melted by the engine.

The only question I really had was if it really mattered which side of the Jagg oil cooler that the hoses went into. I discussed it with JThompson and neither of us could figure out if it really mattered.

I tried to take several pictures of different angles to show how I installed it and welcome any feedback and/or suggestions anyone has.

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

Great photos of the install, TJ. What engine temps were you running when you were using the 14/48 gearing? The hottest temps I have seen on my BRP was when riding the SHNF trails and they hit 250* a couple of times. Most of the time, though, they were around 230*. Congratulations on the new bambino.

Hey Agman,

Is it hot where you are? I spent half of Saturday riding and the other half mending fences. The cattle are getting through the water gaps since all the creeks are dry. Hitting a deer is nothing like hitting a brangus.

Great photos of the install, TJ. What engine temps were you running when you were using the 14/48 gearing? The hottest temps I have seen on my BRP was when riding the SHNF trails and they hit 250* a couple of times. Most of the time, though, they were around 230*. Congratulations on the new bambino.
Thanks!! :thumb:

In the summer time, driving between 70 and 75 mph on the highway, I've seen it get up to 275 and one time almost up to 300 before I backed off to 60 mph to get it back down to around 225. It usually is only a problem during the summers when it gets up to 100 degrees. :brainsnap

Hey Agman,

Is it hot where you are? I spent half of Saturday riding and the other half mending fences. The cattle are getting through the water gaps since all the creeks are dry. Hitting a deer is nothing like hitting a brangus.
Lordy, I know about that...a few years back I hit a black angus on a dirt road at night and totaled my truck. Meriden, we're at about 1000 feet higher in elevation than your ranch and it is a little cooler up here. Also, it is colder in the winter. It hit 100* for the first time this summer last Thursday and feels like it will do it again today. Talked with the Rman yesterday about getting together for a little shop work on Friday and about a ride with you and SilverBullet.

You got me on that one, Meriden. It is a 3.00-21 front tire and none of the BRP spec sheets list the width of the wheel. Tjrockit or Hancock might know. My BRP only has 1350 miles on it and I am still learning about it. Need to get caught up on the chores so that I can hit the Panzer more often.

how many of you are still using the stock rear brake lite and plate holder.? i'm thinking about a PROCYCLE'S (WPS-XR) tail lite. $19.95 the reason is i'm trying to drop down the bike's weight on the back fender area.! any idea's or suggestion's :coffee:.........lonnie...

You saw the WPS on my bike. Use some loctite. :thumb:

Also, I got my new bars (Protaper CR Hi) and Highway Dirtbikes Handguards in the mail today. I will probably install them along with my new clutch lever, choke lever, and jet kit on Wednesday.

Anything I need to know for the rejet? It will be my first time in a carb.:trust:

So Rman, Meriden, Grasshopper, et all, when is the next outing!! I have a new headlight and am ready to do battle again!! :lol2:

Gary

Not sure what the plan is. I'm committed to the East Side Classic on Sunday in Austin. I can't talk myself into riding the Triumph until I get rid of that chrome chain guard so I may take the BMW. Other than that you can bet there will be riding somewhere. Could be the Saturday Bastrop Trails 9 am ride followed by the Lots-O-Dirt Gravel Road Open. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Meriden, I have never heard of the east side classic!! Will look it up, but tell me about it? Is it bikes or cars? Where in Austin is it held.. I will probably find all this out when I search in a minute, but it's always good to get someone else's opinion as well.

Gary

I'll be around.

Hey what is the width of the front rim on a pig. The XC is 21"x1.6" and that seems a little narrow.

The rim size is stamped on my rim, but my bike is out at Thumpers house so I cant look. Both the front and rear on mine have the rim size stamped on the flat part between the spokes and the edge. I am pretty sure its 1.6 though. I know the rear is 2.15 wide.
John

Back