• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why aren't maxi scooters more popular in Texas?

What is that scooter second from the left, next to what I think is a Piaggio?

The one on the end is indeed a Piaggio. The one second from the left is a gold Burgman 650. Mine is the Red 650 on the right end.

I road regular motorcycles for 20+ years before I got my first Burgman 650. My first ride on it had me grinning from ear to ear. I also now own a Burgman 400. If the only scooter I had ever ridden was the 400 I probably would have gone back to a regular motorcycle. The 650 is a different kind of animal, more of a step through motorcycle than a traditional scooter. Same could be said for the TMax. I missed the shifting for a while but now can't see myself going back to it. If I do feel the need I just shift the 650 to manual mode and shift through the gears one at a time. That usually last for about 5 minutes before I put it back in auto mode.

Ask Gixxerjasen about following the Lady in the center of the picture down a twisty road ;-).

Okay, sports fans. Here's the deal. I ride a scooter (Burg 650). If my gas tank explodes, I want it under my bottom and not between my legs. tom

A few things bother me about scooters. The price, maintenance, and the drivelines.

For the price of a TMAX or MP3 500, i could have a really nice regular motorcycle. Prolly even enough left over to buy an enormous aftermarket windshield and luggage.

Yes scooters are fairly high priced for their displacement. However you do get built in storage and weather protection that you have to add on at extra cost to many other bikes.

Scooters seem more wrapped in bodywork than most sportbikes. It looks like getting to anything will require prying off body parts. Lots of weird shaped, difficult to remove body parts. Doing any maintenance or work on it will suck.

Taking off the body panels is fairly easy once you figure out the sequence. On some of the scooters that have the engine on the swingarm you can get to most maintenance items without removing any body work. I don't find my maxi scooters any harder to work on than other motorcycles I have owner. Notice I said other motorcycles, in the eyes of the law they are considered a type of motorcycle.

The rear swing arm of a scooter seems to carry half the engine. There so much mechanical crud attached to it. This doesn't sit right with me because it's the opposite of what you want. It irks me at a gut level when i see massive scooter swing arms.

Depends on the scooter. On most the swing arm carries not only the engine but the transmission. Others like the TMax and Burgman 650 have the engine and transmission hard mounted forward in the frame just like any other motorcycle. The engine is under the tunnel in the step through. The only thing on the swingarm is the final drive, an enclosed chain on the TMax and a gear drive on the 650. The Silverwing is kind of half and half. The engine is hard mounted although it is in the rear of the frame not the front. The CVT is carried on the swingarm and drives the rear wheel directly.

Indeed...

IMG_4759.JPG

Odd though that the smallest displacement bike in the picture ISN'T a scooter. And that one happens to be mine. No scooters for me. :rofl:

Iwhere is that Valero? Forney?

The 650 is a fairly good general purpose street bike. It is not the best at anything but it is good at a number of things. It is a little underpowered for it's size and weight. It's no sport bike but it has fairly decent steering geometry and lean angle so it can hold it's own with many bikes in the tighter twisties. There is just a hint of flex in the frame, probably because of the lack of a top bar in the step through area, but less than some other bikes I've owned. It is a fairly decent one up touring bike but again a little underpowered in some situations for 2 up touring. The storage and weather protection make it a good commuting bike. As was mentioned above, it's not much on none paved surfaces. Not enough ground clearance or suspension travel and the tires are just not made for dirt and gravel traction. Still mine has a few thousand miles of dirt and gravel roads under it's wheels. I just have to slow down and avoid the bigger holes and loose stuff.

Given all that you would think it would be more popular but that scooter image always seems to get in the way.

I haven't ridden any scooter other than a 50cc Rukus, so my gripe need to be taken with a grain of salt. My only issue is the same as with most cruisers.... My feet are too far forward. I just don't like the seating position as I prefer leaning slightly forward with my feet underneath me.

I have no issue with having a maxi-scooter. But:

1. My bike is paid for

2. My bike will take a liking and keep on ticking, and

3. My bike gets 60-63 MPG as well

;-)

I haven't ridden any scooter other than a 50cc Rukus, so my gripe need to be taken with a grain of salt. My only issue is the same as with most cruisers.... My feet are too far forward. I just don't like the seating position as I prefer leaning slightly forward with my feet underneath me.

Yep, if you don't like the feet forward seating position then a maxi scoot is not for you. However I prefer it to most cruisers because the long floorboards give you a lot of places to move your feet to. You can put them way up high on the front turned up area like a cruiser with highway bars, flat on the floorboards like you are sitting in a chair, back on the passenger area or anywhere in between.

Another reason:

Honda Silverwing:
Wheelbase 62.8 inches
Seat Height 29.7 inches
Curb Weight 551 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel?ready to ride.)
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
Miles Per Gallon 46 MPG*

Burgman:
Curb Weight 278 kg (613 lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity 15.0 L (4.0/3.3 US/Imp gal)
Ground Clearance 130 mm (5.1 in)
Wheelbase 1595 mm (62.8 in)
Engine 638 cc (38.9 cu. in), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, 2-cylinder, DOHC
MPG 38
Starter Electric

There is no weight or fuel savings over my RT at 575 pounds (yes, wet) and 45mpg. Plus it holds over seven gallons of fuel. With two side cases and a topcase, it has more carrying capacity.

I have no issue with having a maxi-scooter. But:

1. My bike is paid for

2. My bike will take a liking and keep on ticking, and

3. My bike gets 60-63 MPG as well

;-)

[hijack] You're getting 60-63mpg on your Dakar??? What am I doing wrong? I have the same year, just not a Dakar and I'm lucky to see 50mpg. :( I still say there's something screwed up in my FI system. :rant: [hijack/]

Another reason:

Honda Silverwing:
Wheelbase 62.8 inches
Seat Height 29.7 inches
Curb Weight 551 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel?ready to ride.)
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
Miles Per Gallon 46 MPG*

Burgman:
Curb Weight 278 kg (613 lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity 15.0 L (4.0/3.3 US/Imp gal)
Ground Clearance 130 mm (5.1 in)
Wheelbase 1595 mm (62.8 in)
Engine 638 cc (38.9 cu. in), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, 2-cylinder, DOHC
MPG 38
Starter Electric

There is no weight or fuel savings over my RT at 575 pounds (yes, wet) and 45mpg. Plus it holds over seven gallons of fuel. With two side cases and a topcase, it has more carrying capacity.

That 38 mpg for the Burgman 650 is not a representitive number. Most folks get much better than that. I and the dozen or so folks I ride with regularly average 50 MPG or better. If your riding is limited to short distance stop and go city street riding the 38 mpg figure is possible but if you get out and ride the highways it is way low. The 4 gallon tank does limit range though. The most distance I have put on a tank is 204 miles and I was sweating getting to the next gas station.

As for carrying capacity, I've got a large 12"X14"X24" duffle bag that I can stuff full and put under my seat with room to spare. If I don't have the duffle bag under the seat I can put 2 full face helmets under there. That is just the standard carrying capacity. If you want more you can add a top case and side cases. I have a top case on mine that will hold another 2 full face helmets.

I think the scooter offers utility, it has storage space that most regular motorcycles envy. If you are looking to get from A to B, either work. If you are trying to get away from using the SUV to pick up milk and eggs (and a boatload from the grocer), the scoots are the way.

Yea, I too have seen Wings that could carry a 1000 pounds of rice too.

That 38 mpg for the Burgman 650 is not a representitive number. Most folks get much better than that. I and the dozen or so folks I ride with regularly average 50 MPG or better. If your riding is limited to short distance stop and go city street riding the 38 mpg figure is possible but if you get out and ride the highways it is way low. The 4 gallon tank does limit range though. The most distance I have put on a tank is 204 miles and I was sweating getting to the next gas station.

As for carrying capacity, I've got a large 12"X14"X24" duffle bag that I can stuff full and put under my seat with room to spare. If I don't have the duffle bag under the seat I can put 2 full face helmets under there. That is just the standard carrying capacity. If you want more you can add a top case and side cases. I have a top case on mine that will hold another 2 full face helmets.

No doubt here, just stating why a maxi scooter would be redundant for me. I am vaguely interested in a smaller scooter for errands near the house.

She and that scooter were no slouch. Certainly changed my perception of what a scooter is capable of.

Was on a ride a few years ago running thru some moderately twisty stuff, I was touching down my floorboards here and there, got passed on the outside of a curve by my friend on his Burg 650......made it look real easy too. :eek2::giveup:
This was also the same friend who was going to ride his scooter in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally but he had to withdraw for personal reasons. :-( I think the scoot would have done well in the Rally.

Being bikeless at the moment :tears: a scooter is definitely on my list of rides to consider once I get back to riding. :ponder:

Another plus to being on a scooter; I dont think you have to worry about being 'bike-jacked' by a Bandito or some other club. :trust:

:duck:

Another plus to being on a scooter; I dont think you have to worry about being 'bike-jacked' by a Bandito or some other club. :trust: :duck:

:rofl: That is true. My son had his Katana and his wife's scooter parked under his carport both chained to a post. He came home from work and the chain on the Katana had been cut and it was gone. The scooter was still sitting they where they left it with the chain around the post.

I wouldn't be too confident in what thieves will and will not take.

Back in '96 I was working in a theater and I was about to transfer to another city. I come in on my last day and one of my employees pointed out an abandoned car in the parking lot.

Following some procedure I learned working security, I first phoned the police to confirm it wasn't stolen before calling the tow company. I informed the dispatcher that I wanted to check but was pretty sure it wasn't stolen. She got a little bit of a high and mighty attitude with me wanting to know how I could possibly tell if a vehicle was or wasn't stolen.

I informed her "It's a Pinto."

She changed her attitude, laughed and told me that in the years she's been doing that job that she's never seen a stolen Pinto, but she'd run it anyway.

Both of us were stunned when it came back as a stolen vehicle. We got a good laugh out of what a loser thief you'd have to be to jack a Pinto. However, the cops came out and did their report and retrieved the vehicle.

After that, I have no faith in what someone will or will not steal.

I'm kind of two minds about Maxi-scooters getting more popular. On the one hand it would make thinks like availability of parts from other than the dealer easier. On the other hand it would mean the demand for used parts would be higher making the bikes more valuable targets for thieves.

I'm a rider. I enjoy both my bikes... the motorcycle and the scooter! If I had to make a choice I'm not sure which I'd choose.

-thread jack- I have a 2011 Tacoma and I think it is a monster - the current (2nd gen) Tacomas ARE full sized. :zen: -end thread jack-

Yeah, but the Tundra's are Gargantuan! Bigger then my old F 250 on the inside! :lol2:

Okay, sports fans. Here's the deal. I ride a scooter (Burg 650). If my gas tank explodes, I want it under my bottom and not between my legs. tom

Don't need a scooter for that, my 690 tank is in the back. :shrug:

Back