• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

dhvann

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Last Name
Vann
Hello,
I am a newbie to street bikes. I have been riding in the dirt for the last several years, and continue to do so with my kids. On my very first ride I met up with Scott and friends out on 3090 and had the pleasure of meeting some interesting folks. I wished I could remembed all of the names. I purchased an 03 Yami FZ1 and can't wipe the stinking grin off my face every time I get the chance to ride it. I have found myself making every excuse in the world to go back to the store just so I can get back on it again. On that first ride there was a sobering "dismount" as we call it in the dirt bike world and it sure opened my eyes to the danger of loose gravel on the road and what can happen in a corner when you meet up with it. I was relieved to see that there were no serious injuries to the rider, can't say the same for the Katana. I am looking forward to many more rides. :-D

Don

Howdy Don,

:tab Welcome to the forum! I'm glad we had the chance encounter. The Katana was in fact totalled :-( Wonder what his next bike will be? I feel for him being the guy that went down. I've been there. It sucks to be the person on the ride that wrecks. Fortunate for me, it was very minor and I had ZERO injuries. I was wearing all my gear, pants included. Same for the guy that fixated on me and followed me in the ditch. Had he not had his pants on, his leg would have been chewed pretty good. I don't like to say that every rider will have an incident, but it sure pays to get good training, read up on riding skills and practice them, and wear good gear.

:tab By the way Don, did you see the post about the Bike night on May 7th at King's Cafe in Montgomery? It is on FM 149 just North of Hwy 105 about a block, on the right. Starts at 7:00pm. Hope you can make it.

Bike night May 7th at Kings

Hey Scott,
I am planning on making it there May 7th. I would like to meet some more riders and get in on some future rides, that would be nice. One more good ride and I'll be at the 600mi point and can start to open her up a little more. :-D Take care,

Don

Howdy Don,

:tab I've not seen you out running around lately. Are you still getting out around Montgomery and FM 149/3090? I had a trip planned for the last weekend of October but it has been scrapped. Now I am thinking I may do a local group ride around East Texas that same weekend. Be sure to watch the Upcoming Rides/Events forum for details. Also, we are now doing a breakfast meet at King's Cafe on Wednesday mornings at 9:00am. Then we make a loop up through the forest before everyone heads home or to work. Would be nice to see you again!

Adios,

Back