• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy, delurking from southwest Houston (Westbury)

Reaction score
First Name
James
Howdy all. I've been lurking around here and HSN for over a year now. Figured I better register before someone else uses my nickname.

My ride: I "stole" a nearly brand new 2002 GS500 (in October 2002) from a guy in Mississippi. The bike was too good a deal to pass up and seemed like a good intermediate bike before stepping up to something in the 650 - 800 cc range sometime in the future.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, got my first one when I was 5, topped out with a Yamaha Mini Enduro 60 in my early teens riding (mostly) on dirt tracks but with some (illegal) street riding. The GS500 is my first motorcycle in the last fifteen years, and my first legal street riding.

I enjoy "touring" and group rides. Finding time and endurance to tour on a buzzy 500 keeps my trips short. I attended and managed to barely keep up with last years HSN Coast Ride. I'm looking forward to making one of Scott's beginner rides in the future. It's not so much that I'm a beginner (yes, I have a lot to learn) but the combination of bike and "payload" do not allow me to keep up with some of the more "sporty" group rides.

Hopefully a bigger bike will fall into my lap someday soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy,

:tab Thanks for coming out of lurk mode. You need to check out Snoopster's luggage. She has the GIVI topcase setup and it works great. That combined with a tailbag on the back seat and she can pack a lot of stuff. She went on our last Butt Burner rider through East Texas and had no trouble keeping up with the rest of us.

Adios,

Welcome Texason,

LOve the pic of the GS in front of the 360 bridge here in Austin. You obviously get around on that thing. Hope to see ya around.

Tourmeister said:
Hopefully a bigger bike will fall into my lap someday soon.

Well... I can help you with that ;-)

Adios,

Believe me Scott, I was salivating at the thought of getting one of your VFRs. There just isn't money in the family budget for a motorcycle upgrade. Besides that, the wife is hoping I'll get a Goldwing if and when I do make a change. Something about having armrests and a cup holder appeals to her. :roll: A sport-tourer is so much more appealing to me.

SVinAustin said:
Welcome Texason,

LOve the pic of the GS in front of the 360 bridge here in Austin. You obviously get around on that thing. Hope to see ya around.

Wow, I just noticed how that picture accentuates the length of the front turn signal stalks. :shock: Which leads to the eternal question: do I bother to do mods to a bike I know I'd rather "trade up" from at the first opportunity???

Just know that when it comes time to sell or trade your bike, you will get pretty much no return on your mods. Especially if they are subjective aethestic ones. Suspension upgrades, steering dampers, exhaust systems, and other performance mods will maybe up the price you can get later, or you can return it to stock and part them out, but you won't get near what you paid.

Texason said:
...the wife is hoping I'll get a Goldwing if and when I do make a change. Something about having armrests and a cup holder appeals to her. :roll: A sport-tourer is so much more appealing to me.

Don't underestimate the handling capabilities of the newer 1800 Goldwing. That bike can carve some corners. 8-)

Welcome aboard!

Westbury, eh? That's where I grew up. Just off Airport between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock. It's good to know that the ol' neighborhood is getting a rise in riders. Maybe I'll bump into you on a trip back home (my parents still live there.) Where are you at?

P-Ratt said:
Westbury, eh? That's where I grew up. Just off Airport between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock. It's good to know that the ol' neighborhood is getting a rise in riders. Maybe I'll bump into you on a trip back home (my parents still live there.) Where are you at?

I'm just north of West Bellfort at Hillcroft. I know two other Texans-on-two-wheels that are my neighbors, but I don't know if either of them are Two Wheeled Texans.

Hello Texason. Welcome to the TWT family!!! :lol: It's nice to see another GS on the site. Maybe I'll see you on one of the rides.

Westbury Bikers

Texason,
I live in Ludington, just South of Hillcroft in Westbury. You may not realize what a bikers neighborhood this is. Within 7 houses around mine, we have 9 motorcycles and all are well ridden.

We have a Sunday Morning Riding Club that takes a ride every Sunday of between 280-250 miles. If you are interested in joining us, e-mail me off list rnp@ev1.net

Thats funny.... I would like to get a good looking GS500E with no motor to build a thumper project with. I think the bikes handle very well. They can be ridden hard enough to keep up with noobs on their liter bikes in a twisty situation....

Howdy Bob,

:tab Welcome to the group! Man I wish I had nine riders in my neighborhood!! I am sure there are nine folks with all makes and models of walkers though :-P

Adios,

Back