• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HD ENVY?

That's cause you live where 90% of the vehicles at a stop light are ego inflating pick-ups and Hummer type SUVs... :zen:

Don't forgot to mention those diesel trucks whose owners put glass packs on them rivaling the noise created by straight pipes on bikes. Never understood that. They don't even sound good - just an noisy old farm tractor with no muffler. :scratch:

Don't forgot to mention those diesel trucks whose owners put glass packs on them rivaling the noise created by straight pipes on bikes. Never understood that. They don't even sound good - just an noisy old farm tractor with no muffler. :scratch:

Been to Fredericksburg lately? Friday nights are filled with the sound of loud diesels driven by teens blasting up and down main.

Wife and I was there and witnessed one little turd with a 12" chrome megaphone tip and a fuel dump that choked the air with a thick cloud every time he took off, cars would have to slow to go through it due to low visibility. And he made an 'A' of himself the whole afternoon.

Six of us rode the 3 sisters this past Wednesday thru Saturday, 3 Harleys, 1 Yamaha VStar, 1 Honda St1300 and a Z1000. Sometimes we trade bikes just to experience a different ride. Some wear full gear and some wear half helmets, some had loud pipes and some had quiet pipes, some went slow and I went fast, lol. But we all had a blast.

I have been riding for 43 years and have NEVER seen someone trash someone else or me, for what I was riding. Yes, in fun, but none serious about it. While I know/acquainted with many who "embrace the biker outlaw image" I have not see them degrade other peolpe's rides.

Sorry I just don't agree what anyone says about HD riders. There are just as many jerks on Jap & European bikes as on HDs - in my opinion, even more. Why do I say this? The bulk of the bike bashing comes from those people, not HD riders. You can prove by looking at any forum.

I agree, but loud pipes are not just on HD's. They seem to be on most cruisers. It's just there are so many more HD's.

Haha, im on many different forums and if I say something about a sport bike on Harley forum I get very little ribbing about it but if I mention a Harley on a sport bike forum I get rung over the coals like no other. I have met way more idiots on sport bikes than Harleys and it actually seems to be the opposite of what most squids will vehemently argue...

I don't know about you guys but I get about one sport bike a week that has an open header with one of those little tapered tips on it and those are 100 times louder than my Harley with straight pipes and no baffles ever thought about being. I'm talking ear piercing loud. Going deaf loud.

Take a 4400 mile trip on a 600 pound bike and get moved sideways into oncoming traffic a few times and you'll want a new bike. The 2 Road Glides that were in front of me were my signposts. when they moved a few inches, I moved a few feet. Looking at either a Road or Electra Glide as my next bike. But that will be down the road.

I think that any group of bike specific riders will create it's on prejudice against other groups. It's the nature of people to not try to understand but to ridicule instead. But that's just me.

For me and the people I ride with, I don't care what type/brand/style of bike you threw a leg over, you at least threw a leg over and nothing more needs to be said.

I've ridden sport bikes with cruisers and cruisers with sport bikes. The bike doesn't make the difference, the rider does.

Sounds like you ran into some of the folks I ride with as they would do just the same thing.

Those aren't glasspacks, they're open pipes. People unrestrict and chip them to improve HP and gas milage. Of course it makes them spew out way more pollutants too.

I used to have a Harley. I wanted something sportier. Now I have a Concours and want something Harley-er. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

after a long break from riding i thought i wanted a harley, got one it is fun. But i vote with my key and it is my fjr that i ride constantly, fjr is quiet and will do anything i ask it without a worry. To each his own, and loud pipes are fun for a while but get real old, real fast. I have the stock exhaust on the fjr, and like it quiet, especially after long day in the saddle.:zen:

My Harley pipes are stock so I can listen to audio books on long trips without having to turn the volume up so loud I go deaf. The pipes on the new bikes are plenty loud and sound good. They also are legal in all 50 states which matters some places you might visit. More and more of the popular cycle trip towns are stepping up pipe enforcement.

Those aren't glasspacks, they're open pipes. People unrestrict and chip them to improve HP and gas milage. Of course it makes them spew out way more pollutants too.

Close. It doesn't have to make them spew out more pollutants. It's because the people modding their trucks think more is better and over do what their diesel can handle that makes it spew out all the black soot. I have a striaght piped 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel that I have tuned correctly and I have to thoroughly abuse the truck just to get a tiny puff of black smoke. And in stock form my 3500 dual rear wheel truck got 13 to 15 mpg. Now that all the EPA stuff fell off the truck I can get 19 to 21 mph cruising down the highway without spewing pollutants. Those of us that know what we are doing with our trucks pretty much look at the "black cloud crews" as two wheelers look at sport bike squids. Black Clouders do nothing but hurt the perfomance diesel hobby.

Oh and I have no HD envy! You buy wht you want to ride and enjoy it. Who cares what others think of your ride, they aren't paying for it. :rider:

With a Victory Vision Tour, I have found some of those HD'ers looks and some from non-HD'ers as well. I am so happy with it, that I don't worry what anyone else really thinks. I really do enjoy the fact that my bike looks SO different from the HD crowd. Most are friendly, HD or not.

As has been said multiple times, its not the bike, its the rider.
I've met idiots on every breed of bike.

I, personally, love the sound of a 5.9L Cummins 6BT. :drool:
The turbo whine on the 7.3L PowerStrokes was really nice as well, but the exhaust note wasn't there.

Those of us that know what we are doing with our trucks pretty much look at the "black cloud crews" as two wheelers look at sport bike squids. Black Clouders do nothing but hurt the perfomance diesel hobby.

You talking bad about "rolling coal"?

I looked at the whole picture, realized I don't drive enough to justify the expense and bought a gas V10.

I guess I understand why some of the younger guys want loud bikes, cars, trucks, etc., but I'm at a loss as to why some of the older guys haven't outgrown it.

Same reason there is a growing number of older riders. They can afford to add aftermarket to their ride. Either that or they can't hear anymore and had to amp up the exhaust so they can tell when to let the clutch out. :mrgreen:

Have a neighbor that got an FXDSE. Sounded pretty sweet with stock pipes. First mode he made was uncorked Vance and Hinds. Now it's stupid loud. I always give him a hard time of and his comeback is "yea, but it gets the looks".

Guess he hasn't learned to read facial expression yet.:lol2:

I have been riding for 43 years and have NEVER seen someone trash someone else or me, for what I was riding. Yes, in fun, but none serious about it. While I know/acquainted with many who "embrace the biker outlaw image" I have not see them degrade other peolpe's rides.

Sorry I just don't agree what anyone says about HD riders. There are just as many jerks on Jap & European bikes as on HDs - in my opinion, even more. Why do I say this? The bulk of the bike bashing comes from those people, not HD riders. You can prove by looking at any forum.
Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone with what I said. I've been riding for 40 years. Several stretches in there a motorcycle was my sole form of transportation. Today my wife and I own a small truck and two bikes. She drives the truck and I ride one of the bikes. It's my choice. I'd rather ride than drive any day. I switch off between the Harley and the Honda. I do see a difference in how other riders react to me depending on which one I'm riding. I've never had anyone "trash" me or my bike. It's more a lesser degree of acceptance if I'm riding the "wrong" bike and it isn't limited to Harley fans. There's also the fact that I spent most of my adult life in EMS with a couple of side trips carrying a badge and my view of riders was probably influenced by dealing with them in one of those capacities. Not only were the drink beer, ride, and I don't need no helmet crowd, regardless of what brand they were riding, harder to deal with when conscious but they, along with sport bike riders some of whom have more horsepower than good sense, were the ones I was most likely to have to deal with in the first place. I've seen enough road rash to cover I-35 from here to Dallas. And while I agree that a helmet and protective gear should be an individual choice I've seen the result of that choice both ways. I taught rookies to think of it as evolution-in-action. Those who make the wrong choices often remove themselves from the gene pool.

I have to admit that I don't understand the need to dress in outlaw biker clothing. I don't understand the whole loud pipes thing either. Both make a statement but it isn't a statement that makes bikers in general well thought of by the public. But to each his or her own.

Storm

You talking bad about "rolling coal"?

Yes I am. I have a friend with a 5.9 Cummins 3/4 ton 4X4 that is pretty much a drag race truck (10.73 in the 1/4 mile, 1042 hp / 1,730 lb-ft of torque) with a license plate that he uses for a daily driver and he can manage to go through town without blacking out every intersection. Rolling coal = :doh: :thumbd:

Last time I was in BBNP two guys on orange bikes passed my on Old Ore Road, slinging rocks all over me. Squids! I hope they had lots of flat tires.

Anywho, there's a farmer around here that has a 'Glide with slip-ons that sounds sexy as all get-out. Now too quiet, not too loud, just a nice, mellow rumble. When I win the lottery I'll be buying a 'Glide and putting those mufflers on just to ride to that music.

HD envy?

How about "not riding envy?" I think it's more of an issue of whether someone's on two wheels, or not.

If they have a bike, but ain't riding it, they are jealous no matter what you are riding, and you should feel properly sorry for them. :-P

Having ridden a Harley for several years, and being around them all my life, I can tell you that nobody on a Harley has (insert foreign name) envy... unless its a goldwing.

Back