• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Code

Scott

Reaction score
I'm sure most everybody has seen 'The Pace'. On another BBS I read someone posted a link to an article called 'The Code' http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9502_tact/. It's an older article and most of the points in it should be common knowledge, but in my opinion we all (or maybe it is just me 8) ) forget sometimes that we are ambassadors for motorcyclists everywhere.

:tab I totally agree with this article. I try to make it a point to not be obnoxious to other vehicles on the road. I try to remember that while I may not think I am a threat to their safety, their perspective on that issue is likely to be quite different. When passing, I usually try not to blast by with a roar, when people pull over to let me pass I always give them a thank you wave. I will let people that signal pull in front of me in traffic, especially 18 wheelers! Also, I tend to be pretty chatty in person and will often strike up conversations with non riders and often let them know we are not all crazed speed freaks (or at least some of us hide it better than others!). This goes a long way towards helping people realize that bikers have a wide variety of personality types just like any other field of human edeavors.

Well... except those cruiser types ;-) They're obviously all a bad influence and you should keep your children away from them! :-P

Sounds like a good strategy. I try like heck to be a decent motorcyclist, wearing the gear, generally observing speed limits, not passing on a double-yellow ;), etc. I do have a tendency to roll on big time when passing a vehicle on the interstate ; I don't like to be next to any vehicle at that speed, and I'll admit I dig the small moment of power/acceleration. I then roll off and cruise on my way.

I have a real chip on my shoulder re: aggressive motorists and pickups/SUVs in general, but I must admit that I appreciate the Texas Tradition of pulling over to the shoulder to let vehicles by on country roads. I always give a little thank-you wave...

I have to agree with the article and the rest of you. It isn't that hard to be courteous as a motorcyclist. The temptation is there, when in traffic, and I become very irritated at cell phone users specifically, but this doesn't justify my lunacy when blazing through traffic like a maniac. My justification is to call it aggressive but at times it crosses the line between agressive and becomes just plain stupid. A change is needed and it has to start somewhere. It is up to mature responsible riders like us to serve as ambasadors for the sport by breaking the mold and setting an example for newer riders. I believe the sport is heading in the right direction with efforts shown by motorcyclist in their support for charitable organizations and by discussions in forums like this showing that riders care about their perception to others.

Another bizarre thing I've observed about myself is that in the car, I'm much more cussy and whiny and complainy, but on the bike, I am not nearly that way. I just try to stay alert and if someone does something boneheaded (as anticipated ;) ), I just deal with it and keep scanning.

Probably has something to do with the increased vulnerability :).

Has anyone else noticed that since they have been riding, they have become more aware and better cage drivers alos. I find that I now tend to drive my truck with a similar (although not quite as hightened) awareness of the traffic and the road. And yes, to some extent this has also hightened my agrivatioin when I see idiots out there also.

I agree, Andy. In fact, I have this fantasy of my daughter taking the MSF BRC just to understand some good driving habits, even if she never rides a moto...

I have this fantasy of my daughter taking the MSF BRC just to understand some good driving habits, even if she never rides a moto...

:tab I think it is more the act of practicing on the bike as a method of survival, an act of necessity, that really drives home the scanning skills. I too have noticed that since riding a bike, I am much more aware of what is going on around me when I'm in the car. I don't know that taking the MSF class without riding afterwards would do much good, but it might, certainly wouldn't hurt.
:tab Since you are already fantasizing, why not include her learning to ride a bike as part of the fantasy? Then you could do road trips with her. One of the guys on the VFR mailing list does this each year with his daughter. It is a great way for them to spend uninterrupted time together and they both really like doing it. Kind of cool.

Since you are already fantasizing, why not include her learning to ride a bike as part of the fantasy?

Oh, I do dream of that. In fact, she told me that ever since watching Motocrossed on Disney, she's wanted to get into dirt biking... I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a dirt bike and gear into the garage w/o my wife finding out.... ;)

Back