• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding boots

Greg

Reaction score
I've just started my hunt for some riding boots. Looking for some guidance in what type I should consider....make, style, etc. I currently ride an SV1000S. My riding will never take me to the track, but I enjoy tackling any road at any pace. Looking for comfort and style with it not denting the wallet. Advise your thoughts - thanks.

Do you want the Ricky Racer look or are you wearing jeans? I just wear a good pair of heavy work boots, not lace up. Laces can get tangled in a peg or shifter at just the wrong time... :eek: I just wear 11" top engineers boots from Sears for street riding. I've got three pairs of race boots in various condition. One pair the toe is worn through on the left boot, the other has a hole in the sole from the cleated foot pegs on my tards. I'm still wearing that pair. ****, they cost me $250 so I'm going to finish them off!

I also bought a pair of Russian military dress boots with 15 inch tops from "Sportsman's Guide", a surplus catalog. Those boots were $15! Don't look bad either... :lol: :lol: :lol: I usually throw the engineer's boots on, though.

If you want expensive made for motorcycling boots, Joe Rocket makes a boot for touring, plain black, but it's water proof. I think it's called the "Joe Rocket Rhino boot". I'd often been tempted by those boots, a little over a hundred bucks. Be nice to have a water proof boot if it rains. I water proof my riding boots with silicone spray and that works pretty well I guess. If it's a long, soaking ride, they'll eventually soak through. I have a pair of over boot rubbers, but usually forget to pack 'em. :roll:

If you never leave the driveway without full leathers and the Ricky Racer look, consider the Sidi Vertibrae (sp?). I hear lots of good, they're quite popular. I have no problem with my AGV Pro Race or my new Spidis either, though. Anything that costs as much as those damned things do ought to be good. Thing about race boots is, they ain't worth a crap for actually walking in. If you, say, go to the ROT rally and you're wearing those things, take a pair of sandles or deck shoes or something. My AGVs I've had for a year now and they still wear blisters on my heals.

I have a pair of Sidi Stradas and love them. Throw in a set of Superfeet foot beds and they are comfortable all day. I sometimes find myself wearing them to work and not taking them off.

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_revolution_boot_page.htm

These are apparently the successors to the "rhino" boots. A little higher, but I like the plain, unassuming look and I'm very into waterproof boots cause I get caught in the rain all the time. I ride ALL the time and everywhere so waterproof is the way I'll go if I'm going to spend THAT much money on a street boot.

I don't know, though. I hear nothing but good oppinions of Sidi products and Joe Rocket is known for crappy quality in their nylon stuff like the "Phoenix" jacket. I've heard about crappy zippers and stitching that comes loose. But, these boots look cool and I think I'd risk the Joe Rocket reputation for that boot if I was looking at street boots. Can't go wrong at all quality wise with Sidi, though.

SVinAustin said:
I have a pair of Sidi Stradas and love them. Throw in a set of Superfeet foot beds and they are comfortable all day. I sometimes find myself wearing them to work and not taking them off.

Funny that this topic comes up today. Just yesterday I convinced myself to shell out the money for a pair of Strada Tepor Evos. Rather I should say my current uncomfortable boots convinced me.

I have heard good things about them on message boards and in magazine reviews. It was also nice that when I called in my order(I have issues about using my cc online), the guy I spoke to wore the same boots and recommended them. Always makes me feel better when the product I am buying is also used by the guy selling it.

I've got the Sidi Champion Tepor boots. They keep my feet protected and watertight. In retrospect, I wish I could have tried some on first because I ordered the wrong size and with the conversion from Euro to US I figured I got the right ones. The Sidi conversion chart says a 46 is for sizes 11-11.5. I got the 46 and it fits like a size 12-12.5 boot. I made to mistake of wearing them on the bike before deciding they were too big, so a return was out of the question. :-( I'll make sure to try some on before ordering next time... Other than that, the boots are great. Let us know what you get.

I favor tactical style boots. Currently I have a pair of steel toe Bates Enforcers. Bought them at Academy for less than $40 on sale. They're comfortable and offer pretty good protection.

Well, maybe with all the Aggies here, you could just go to College Station and get a pair of Zip boots made. They go to about knee level and after all were designed for riding.....horses. :-D And, man, would you be looking dapper or WHAT? :lol:

Your local Triumph dealer has a really nice waterproof boot at around a $100 or so. They have shift pads, reflectors on the back, yet still look fairly unobtrusive under jeans. They are fairly normal looking. Take a look

They aren't to bad for normal walking around. Good boot. They are my street boot.

Red Wing is also now making "motorcycle boots", course they lean more towards the crusier crowd with studs and chains.

Daryl

On any boot that is waterproof, won't your feet be getting pretty toasty? I'm torn on whether to get them waterproof or not

Boots

After spraining my ankle bad enough while wearing my AF issue flight boots to need crutches for two weeks and limping for another 2-3 weeks I decided it was time to invest in proper footwear. I've got Sidi Vertebra 2 Carbon Air boots. I picked these up for a steal because they were mismarked at the reg Vert 2 price (saved about $60). I don't have the vent on the top of the foot like the new boots they are much cooler than my military boots and it's much more comfortable to ride in this Texas heat. I mostly wear jeans so nobody gets to see my "bling" boots but it's comforting to know my feet are protected. I just hope that if/when I take a spill I'll hit feet first cuz I don't wanna scratch up my new RF-1000.

I've worn the Triumph boots through 3 Texas summers, and I have yet to experience "broiled" feet. Feel pretty normal.

Daryl

Broiled feet can also depend on the bike. My 1992 VFR comes factory equipped with the broiled feet option. It works ok in the winter time, but can get a little toasty in the summer time. :angryfir: My Interceptor 500 never had this problem... :roll:

uberhawk said:
Your local Triumph dealer has a really nice waterproof boot at around a $100 or so. They have shift pads, reflectors on the back, yet still look fairly unobtrusive under jeans. They are fairly normal looking. Take a look

I have these boots, too, and really like 'em. Well, until I set out in the Waltz Across Texas this past weekend (more on that particular lapse of judgement in a few days). Within the first 30 minutes of riding in a pretty driving thunderstorm :shock: , I realized my left toes were wet and cold. This was surprising, as I've not had this problem previously. Either the boots are getting a bit worn out, or I stepped in a puddle or something. 25 1/2 hours later (22 hours or so after the rain stopped), I pulled 'em off at home, and my socks were still damp... :-|

For that reason, I'm thinking about getting some Sidi's for serious long ride riding (I also want more ankle protection).

I still like the Triumph's combo of protection, (general) weather-resistance, and off-bike comfort and appearance. :chug:

You think the Italians are better at rain gear than Brits? ;-)

Hmmmm,

Daryl

uberhawk said:
You think the Italians are better at rain gear than Brits? ;-)

Not necessarily, but I've heard that the Sidi's have some good waterproof models. I'd be interested in the Aerostich combat touring boot, but don't wanna go through the potential order/fit sucks/return hassle. So, I'm thinking Tepor Evo or On Road Sympatex for dedicated all day / multi-day rides, and the Triumphs for everthing else that might involve some water...

The folks at the rally this weekend had Sidi's and a few killer looking BMW boots (though that might be more of an "all BMW, all the time" kind of thing ;-) ).

I do see your point about UK vs. Italy weather/riding, though... :chug:

I have the Sidi Evo Strada Tempor and have used them for a three day ride in which it rained the entire time. They worked flawlessly and were comfortable to boot (no pun). I highly recommend them.

I have a pair of the Sidi Tepor Champions (waterproof), and since I ride a 2001 VFR, and as stated before it comes with the right hand foot/leg warming option. :-)

But the ankle pading of the Tepors is great, even on long rides I really dont feel the heat.

Once they got broken in, they are just as comfortable as a pair of shoes.

I only have two suggestions. One, dont buy them online...the sizing was all messed up. I wear size 11 tennis shoe, but the Sidi's are size 10 US and they are a little big. Definately try them on first.

Second....I would buy a higher boot. I find my jeans or riding pants right at the top of the boot. But then again I'm 6'2" and its tough to find good riding pants that have enough inseam.

I would look at the Sidi Sympatex, since they have the high length and are waterproof. Just my .02

Cya

Howdy,

:tab I have the SIDI GT Sympatex. They currently have around four years and over 70K miles on them. They required no break in at all and were superbly comfortable right out of the box. Since the day I bought them, there have only been a handful of days that I have not worn them all day as my regular footwear, even to funerals and weddings. They used to be perfectly waterproof, and I mean completely. The only time I got water in them was because the "waterproof" pants I was wearing weren't! :angryfir: So the water ran down my leg into the top of the boots.

:tab The boots are no longer water proof. I have worn them out. I drag my heels, scuff the toes, etc,... The inner lining finally just wore through as well. I have really neglected to keep them cleaned and polished (which will significantly increase their lifespan). After this weekend in Big Bend, they look like crap!!

:tab I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat! May be doing just that in a week or so... Yes, they are expensive at $270 a pair, but I feel like I have gotten every bit of my money's worth out of them and then some!

Adios,

I have the Sidi Champion. It is "water resistant", but my feet have never gotten wet in them, no matter how hard it rained. I've had them a year and a half and love them. The soles are getting worn down from me walking in them so much. (I've walked my dogs in them before.)

I even tested them out when I lowsided at the track. They are a little scuffed now (battle scars), but no injuries to my feet.

When they wear out, I'll be buying another pair of Sidis.

(Shameless plug: any Cycle Gear store can order Sidis for you if you don't want to order them directly from http://www.motonation.com)

Back