• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cool Forum!

Thanks!

Howdy John,

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the site continues to grow. I plan on expanding it in the future. I've been eating and sleeping this stuff for the last week trying to get everything figured out. I am not a programmer and don't write scripts. Fortunately, the phpBB software is well documented in the code and the support forums are very good as well. The combination of the two has allowed me to slowly figure out how to customize things.

I started out setting up a board with the same guys you used. It is actually up and running because I have not figured out how to cancel it. But its features are somewhat limited unless you send them money. This board software is free and runs pretty fast. And like I said, it is easy to configure. I had it up and running in about five minutes.

Hopefully, we will see you hanging around in here :wink:

Adios,

I like phpBB. I set it up on a couple of test forums with tripod.uk (free) but the mySQL ran funky on their servers.

I would prefer to run my own forum software rather than invisionfree. Problem is, the price difference for mySQL support was significant.

Invisionfree is probably run by some 14 year-old out of his bedroom, so I wouldn't be surprised if it simply disappeared someday. :)

Right now I'm buying webspace from http://hostingmatters.com I had my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu club website domain with them for several years. Now they host the Lufkin Southern Snoozers website I run.

Outstanding service and good prices! They answered every support email I ever sent THAT DAY, usually within 2 hours. I never got that kind of support when I ran http://machadojj.com on Verio.

Here's their price sheet: http://hostingmatters.com/comparison.html

I have the M250 plan for $6/mo. To get mySQL I would have to jump up to the $11/mo. plan.

Hosting providers

Howdy,

John, check out Hostrocket.com. I am using the Economy plan with a dedicated IP address. I pay about $14-15 a month. The dedicated IP address is a few bucks extra, but it lets me log into the site even when there might be nameserver problems. I get 750MB of space, 37GB transfer a month, every feature like MYSQL that you can think of and then some that I have no idea what they are :wink: Their support is quick to respond and they have a great online discussion board support forum.

Adios,

Random "Thread Bump Man" strikes for the very first time!

BTW,
what a mushy little exchange this was. :trust: Yuck! :-P

HAHAHA thats pretty cool! so, thats how it all got started. give us newbies some insight on the beginnings of TWT. good work Brotha J!:clap:

Re: Thanks!

Howdy John,

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the site continues to grow. I plan on expanding it in the future. I've been eating and sleeping this stuff for the last week trying to get everything figured out. I am not a programmer and don't write scripts. Fortunately, the phpBB software is well documented in the code and the support forums are very good as well. The combination of the two has allowed me to slowly figure out how to customize things.

I started out setting up a board with the same guys you used. It is actually up and running because I have not figured out how to cancel it. But its features are somewhat limited unless you send them money. This board software is free and runs pretty fast. And like I said, it is easy to configure. I had it up and running in about five minutes.

Hopefully, we will see you hanging around in here :wink:

Adios,

Yea, it will never work out. (And men will never fly) :trust:

This Internet thing is just a fad! :lol2:

Lee
Lee

Re: Hosting providers

What's the current stats these days?

:tab I have no clue :lol2: I don't pay by the GB. I pay for a max bandwidth speed which is up around 200 Mbps I think. So I guess if you figure out the seconds in a month that would give you the max transfer for a month. I would speculate we hit around 75-100GB/month just based on where we were when the site was about half the number of users we have now. The hard drive space has not gone up that much. The database files are really as big as you might think. The bulk of the hard drive space is my personal images that I use for ride reports and stuff. Also, there are the images for folks that use the TWT Photo Gallery.

Back