TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Gone But Not Forgotten!

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
st1100

the "hogman" passes

just a quick note to let some of the people who have been around texas motorcycling and racing for years.know this great and very talented rider passed away last week"paul stephenson" when i started roadracing he was the man.
iba#9539
2002 fz1
former crrc#193
st1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: the "hogman" passes

Anyone got some good links with info about him? Would be nice to have some bio on him.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For March: $517.60 - Previous Month: $1138.90 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
whoa

Dallas Morning News obit
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.3de06a0.html

I found a hit on the North Texas Norton Owners site, but don't see the article. Sounds like he was a dedicated firefighter and would race anything anytime.

RIP
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
MaxiScoot

Sorry to hear about his passing. I didn't know him, but it sounds like he lived his life to the fullest.

My prayers and thoughts are with his family.
ISRA #22095

I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
MaxiScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Chris Mitchell

I think it was hogman who wowed me at the Austin Aqua Fest motorcycle road races years ago. He could flat ride a bike to death back in those days. Seems to me he chose to ride a ole Honda 750 four cylinder that he kept hidden under a compost heap most of the year. I remember listening to him wringing the guts out of that old honda and hearing the cam chains rattling like the engine would explode any second
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
Jack Giesecke

Ah, jeez, this is sad news for me. I knew he'd had some sort of cancer for a while now. He was one heck of a racer back when. I remember him and Jon Minonno going after it in SO many races. He's a Texas legend even today. He rode Dave Rash's D and D Honda CB750 single cammer, but it had an RC Engineering Cobra motor in it, full 1000cc. I've raced against the Hogman and he was VERY fast.

Last edited by Jack Giesecke; 12-25-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Jack Giesecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Dallara

Yep.

"Hogman" was VERY fast, alright, but still one of my favorite people I ever met road racing. Did a lot to help me back in the late '70's/early '80's...

Hadn't noticed this post here on TWT until today, but it got me to remembering races at TWS with "Hogman", along with races at Henderson with Paul and with people like Jack. Those were great, memorable days, with wonderful people and terrific races - but "Hogman" will always stand out as the one I will most remember.

I may be late in saying it, "Hogman", but Godspeed. You will be missed.

Allan Pagan
Corpus Christi, Texas
Former CRRC # 549 - 1979 - 1983

ps - Jack, you may remember me as the guy who rode Honda CR-250 MX'ers at Henderson in the 250 GP class back in late '81 and in 1982... Mostly big-bore Honda's everywhere else, with a one-off on a Dave Knauss Triumph at Aqua Fest in 1980 (or was it '81???).
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Yeeha! Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke
Ah, jeez, this is sad news for me. I knew he'd had some sort of cancer for a while now. He was one heck of a racer back when. I remember him and Jon Minonno going after it in SO many races. He's a Texas legend even today. He rode Dave Rash's D and D Honda CB750 single cammer, but it had an RC Engineering Cobra motor in it, full 1000cc. I've raced against the Hogman and he was VERY fast.
I've brushed by a few of the names you guys are mentioning.

I tried to RR a Kawi 400 triple once upon a time ('74 & '75). Didn't get beat too bad except for the RD 400's with it's mag wheels et al. I gave up.

Drag racing was more to my liking (and skill) I used to dig thru the pile of old slicks off that D&D Honda. They wore the sides off of them and I would scrounge another weekend out of them burning off the center. Dave Rash built me a Side Pipe header so I could lower my old Z-1. It was a full year or so before RC Engineering and later Vance & Hines came out with theirs. This was when they were in their shop off of Midway and Minnis in Haltom City.

All that is a little fuzzy now, I wish I had taken more notes and more pictures.

"Why eat a burger when you can have pie?"
Ms Vicki 2002 @ Lost Maples Cafe, Utopia Tx
Yeeha! Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Jack Giesecke

Hey Allan! Yeah, you were on a motard before there were motards, remember you well! How's it been since the old days? I put the leathers back on in 99 and now I'm kinda all into mini racing with Texas Mini GP, cheap thrills. http://www.tmgps.8k.com Also doin' an occasional flat track again. You remember Dennie Spears? He's been a promoter for TMGP and now his wife's helping with promoting. It's a lot of fun. I took a cue from you and built a little KX80 motard. Old friend Duncan Paul did some work on it for me. Duncan's still teaching at Cedar Valley College. Tried to get the guy to build a bike and come race TMGP, but his wife put the nix to it when she got wind of it, LOL. You should run up to Katy Sept 22 and check it out. You might get hooked, though.

I don't remember much about Aquafest. I don't think I ever rode there that I didn't have a hangover. Got a heck of a concussion there once, too.

You remember Little Bill, Bill Syfan? He's tearin' up CMRA 125GP right now, ain't missed a beat! Some of the old guys are back!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Jack Giesecke

I remember a Kaw triple, but I didn't get serious until I bought my RD400 in '78. I started on a RD350 in '75.

Allan was FAST on that dirt bike, I remember a few races with him. He had no chance against my TZ250's motor, but he rode the heck outta that dirt bike. He beat more'n a few TZs on it as I recall. He could to that at Oak Hill where skill and agility are worth more'n horsepower.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
Vintage Mikey

I remember Hogman running the fastest lap times at TWS when I started racing CRRC races back in 1982 , he would wheelie down the straighht at 120+mph right before he took the checker.........

And at Aquafest in 83 , Polen , Schwantz and Kocinski were there , they all made it a tough day for me..........
mike ryan , (team scream)
me on my 84 interceptor 750 , #1
Schwantz on his fj 600,
Vernon Davis's Lurch twin superbike,
aquafest pics , 1983
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 088.JPG (145.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg pg_64a_sized.jpg (33.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg pg_66_sized.jpg (68.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg pg_60b_sized800.jpg (9.7 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg pg_63000.jpg (13.3 KB, 800 views)
Vintage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Jack Giesecke

Thanks for the pix. Always fun to look back.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Vintage Mikey

Bump for all the old timer CRRC racers , Laroy Montgomery also passed away a couple years ago and here is a link dedicated to him memory..........

Mike Ryan (team Scream)

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/me...98ED0EC69FE5A5
Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
Jack Giesecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Mikey View Post
Bump for all the old timer CRRC racers , Laroy Montgomery also passed away a couple years ago and here is a link dedicated to him memory..........

Mike Ryan (team Scream)

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/me...98ED0EC69FE5A5
Jeez, another one? Laroy was active in 99 I think when I got back into CMRA. IIRC, he was on a MuZ or some such riding Clubman. He also was an official, race director or something, maybe after Charlie quit???? I can't recall, just thinkin' he'd done some stuff for CMRA. Even 99 is a fading memory. <sigh> Wasn't he battling cancer or something?

RIP
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Buellboy

I have picture from Aquafest in the
late 70's or early 80's of a guy on a
CBX racing around the course with
a "pigface" on. Was this Hogman?
If so, he was "rippin it' on that big
heavy bike around that tight track.
RIP Hogman, You rock!!
Buellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
Vintage Mikey

Post that pic if you can .
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #17
Vintage Mikey

Any new pics???????
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Buellboy

I looked with my CBX stuff
but could not find it, sorry
Buellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
Vintage Mikey

Keep looking , that would be classic..........
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
Mossrider

I went to Aquafest from 79-82ish and I can remember being at the end of the front straight & you could hear "THE HOGMAN" coming as soon as he took that sharp left turn (remember the CURB!) then the front straight & you could hear that CBX whistle in the next county! Everyone would say "Here come's the Hogman!" and push to the front to see him, I'll never forget the sound of that CBX-1000 or the Hogman! - MR