• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EastTex 450 October 12-13-14 2012

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
McDowell
Another successful ride in the national forests of East Texas.

Post your photos, stories, and some truths here.
Beverly and I are still driving home to Bandera but wanted to get this underway . There are so many stories waiting to be told. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:
I hope there where no serious injuries and that you all had a great time.. I would have loved to ride it again this year, but Seattle is just too far away.. Cant wait to see all the pics..

Gary

Had a great time. A big thank you to Lee and Beverly for all the work they put into organizing the ride and the support vehicle. Also thanks go out to John and Travis for being our group leaders. Will post some pics later.

First off a big hand for the organizers, ride leaders, sweep riders, and support vehicles. This trip would have been impossible for me without this help.

Many thanks

A few weeks back I decided the 2012 East Tx ride would my first “organized” ride with the TWT crowd. I really had no idea what to expect. I had read previous ride reports about extensive sand traps and that was a real concern.

I decided to ride with the North group departing from Rusk KOA.

My prep for this trip did not amount to much so I took an extra day to get everything together at the last minute.

Setup at the KOA on Thursday night.

IMGP0009Large_zps923c5ca3.jpg

We ended up with 8 riders so we decided to ride in a single group. Steve and his neighbor lead to group with alpine357 riding sweep since he rode this ride last year.

IMGP0012Large_zps8e5b1624.jpg

Many, many miles of great roads to ride.

IMGP0015Large_zps55348068.jpg

One of the ride breaks along the way

IMGP0016Large_zps5061ef7b.jpg

The route gets a bit confusing here so we took a break a Steven explained to me how to get through this section.

IMGP0020Large_zpsa6588688.jpg

Last edited:
My group found a small Wolfman pack on the trail. Tell me whats in it and your address and I will ship it to you.
And its not yours Mudclod!!!:eek2:

Harold (Silsvee) on his DR650
8088678012_429d7cf88f_c.jpg

Justin (Faunus2011), Ki (TwoSmokeDS) and Jason (jsb223).
8088693655_a60fd8759f_c.jpg

Two or three groups converging at a tee in the route.
8088708337_febdb7b5cc_c.jpg

It's not an "adventure" unless a bee gets caught in your shirt. "Why is Ki taking off his clothes?"
8088742416_20e0d6a032_c.jpg

Jason recommended stopping to photograph one of the rare vantage points with sweeping landscapes of the EastTex 450.
8088775508_d98c1974ce_c.jpg

Sand!.........I fell.
8088799358_6cc59fd07a_c.jpg

Chad was a huge help to me and Justin, I am very grateful.
8088814868_e2b88026c0_c.jpg

I thought this was going to be an easy weekend of riding simple East Texas back roads. But I end up getting stung by a bee three times and crashing hard on the sand. Despite the messed up shoulder and itchy skin, it was still a great time. It turned out to be quite an adventure.

I thought this was going to be an easy weekend of riding simple East Texas back roads. But I end up getting stung by a bee three times and crashing hard on the sand. Despite the messed up shoulder and itchy skin, it was still a great time. It turned out to be quite an adventure.

"Adventure" snuck up on me this weekend and reminded me that "control" is an illusion. I am ready to do this ride again it was fun. I met real good people on this ride.

Jason recommended stopping to photograph one of the rare vantage points with sweeping landscapes of the EastTex 450.
8088775508_d98c1974ce_c.jpg
:photo: :clap:

Great meeting the Rusk group and anyone else we met going the other direction! Hope to seeya again!! :flip: 3 cheers to Timbercat and Beverly. :chug: :chug: :chug:
Sorry we couldn't meet you all but we were on a rather tight schedule. :eek2: :lol2: :rider:

2012 East Texas Dirty Butt 450

Friday afternoon six hardy souls assembled at the Rusk Koa with the goal of riding 450 miles of East Texas roads in one grueling day. We didn't take too many photos. We were too busy hauling the mail.

From left to right: Wedge1, Electrified, Bwdmax, Rman of 237, RollingJ, and Silverbullet

CIMG1627%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

As far as I know, this was the only get-off for our group of the entire weekend, and it happened moving the bike after the group photo.

CIMG1628%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

Silverbullet was losing feel on his hydraulic clutch, so he worked on it Friday night and got some feel back before we sacked out for the evening.

Saturday morning came and we started to gear up around 5. Wedge1 had forgotten his goggles so made a mad dash to the nearest Walmart about 15 miles up the road. He was to meet us at the Whataburger/gas station for breakfast and fuel.

Silverbullet checked on his clutch and it had no feel whatsoever. He worked and worked and got nowhere. We figure an internal seal had given up in the slave cylinder. SB called it, and told us to tear it up for him.

Then there were 5.

Wedge1 has riding his newly acquired DRZ400S but had brought his tried and true KLR650 along as a back-up. We met him for breakfast and he offered to let Silverbullet ride it. Be aware, none of us had ever ridden with him and less than 12 hours after meeting him for the first time, he offered his steed to a fellow rider. That says a lot in my book.

Then there were 6.

We get back to the Koa and I give SB the key. He had geared up while waiting for us to get back. He rolls the bike off the trailer and goes to warm her up. Nothing. No lights, gauges, clicks, nothing. Wedge1 gets back and we proceed to pull the sidecovers and seat to get at the battery. We jumpstart the bike and we can't get it to run right. The stator or rectifier/regulator has failed and won't run the bike right or charge the battery. There are no obvious trail fixes, so SB tells us to get out of there. I leave him the keys to my truck so he can get supplies to try and fix his bike and possibly meet us on the trail.

Then there were 5.

We had planned to be on the road at 6am with the hopes of finishing before dark. We pulled out of the Koa at 7am sharp and the sun was already over the horizon.

We rode. We stopped for gas and when somebody had to take a leak. We rode some more. Then to change things up, we went for a ride.

All the while pushing the pace.

There was a stretch of deep, rutted sand 1/4 mile long that I came into at about 50MPH. I started to ease up but instead I dropped a gear, sat back and opened it up. That bike was dancing like Ginger Rogers, but she finished the number in style.

About 5 hours in I glanced over my shoulder and was missing all my riders. I backtracked a couple tenths and found the group milling about. Wedge1 had lost his rear brake and his bike was down on power.

CIMG1629%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

The next gas stop was pretty soon, so he was going to get some fluid and see what he could do. Here is what we found.

CIMG1632%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

His rear caliper was destroyed. He called it, shook our hands, pushed some play back into the caliper, and slabbed it back to camp. This dude is a trooper, and is welcome to ride with me anytime, anywhere.

Then there were 4.

As we watched him ride away, we tried not to think about it.

Who would be next?

We got back on the road and hard on the throttle. We were making good time and things got clicking again.

I lead most of the way but felt guilty when I saw how grimy they were getting. Rman's gps gave up the ghost, so Bwdmax came to the lead with the only other working gps and I moved around the pack. At an intersection I rolled up to Bwdmax and reminded him that we were going to start seeing the sane three day ET450 riders coming the other way. Less than 5 min later we saw the first group. We waved and twisted the throttle.

Somewhere along here we came across a white pickup headed the opposite direction. Bwdmax was leading and I think the driver thought he had clipped him, because it looked like he was looking in his mirrors instead of watching the road. These roads are narrow to begin with, so when he turned this head he kept drifting to his left, forcing Rman to ride completely into the ditch to avoid a head-on collision. The driver jerked back to his side of the one-lane road, and we got by him with a little room to spare. Rman threw up an incredulous salute as he was getting his heart out of his throat.

About 30 minutes later only three riders came to a stop at the intersection just northeast of San Augustine. We backtracked a few hundred yards and found out who was next.

Electrifed has taking off his helmet and swearing off Husabergs for good. His bike was running great and all of the sudden it all fell apart. His bike was popping and cracking and generally sounding like it was about to blow up.

About this time the next couple of groups of riders came upon us, so everybody parked their bikes in the middle of the road and started shaking hands. There is not a whole lot of field repair that can be done on an FI bike with fuel issues. E had previously had a ton of trouble with fueling and cams, so there were a lot of witnesses to his graceful bowing out.

We called Silverbullet who told us that Wedge1 and just made it back to camp, dripping aluminum from his caliper. They jumped in W's truck and headed out to save the day. E limped at 35mph down to San Augustine to await the rescue.

Then there were 3.

We gave each other knowing looks and totally ignored the elephant in the room. We kicked the bikes to life (okay, Rman kicked his) and put the power down.

9 mile road is the jewel of this ride. I had been waiting all morning for this stretch of mudholes, and I took it at speed. I almost wrapped myself around a tree. Nobody saw it, but I just cleared it. Near the end of the rough stuff I found myself waiting longer than I should have. I roosted around and blasted back from whence I had come. I got to ride it twice! Rman had come up a rutted blind hill and almost went through the middle of the biggest, deepest hole out there. He had gotten hard on the binders and almost stopped in time. His front tire rolled in the hole, but he kept it upright and was able to back it out. That track going into it was all I saw of the incident.

CIMG1633%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

Telephone Road had a sign saying 'Bridge Out' but we shrugged out shoulders and went down it anyway. We don't need no stinking bridges. We do however need a way to get around the big backhoe very effectively blocking all passage. We consulted the GPS and found a way around. We did not make it to Toledo Bend proper, as all the road would have been paved and we could cut off about 5 miles of it that was straight as a board. Back on track, we put the hammer down.

This is the view the group saw for most of the day.
CIMG1634%2520%2528Copy%2529.jpg

image by Rman of 237

Two o'clock found us at the Stump with 250 miles behind us. We geared down and relaxed for a spell. Not too long mind you, but those soft, wide benches were very comfortable. We were there about 30 minutes and it was time to re-mount the torture devices.

We stood. We did the one cheek sneak. We shook out our legs and tried to not think about how bad dirt bikes seats are for sitting on; all the while putting the miles behind us.

Near Apple Springs I got roosted by a guy on a four wheeler with his 3 year old on his lap. Neither were wearing helmets. He saw us coming and turned out of driveway in front of us. He was doing about 40, sliding all over, and really didn't want me to pass him. I backed off and he slowed down, so I went to pass. He sprayed me with sand again so I just let him go. He turned off about half a mile down. I figured it was 'his' road.

Somewhere around here I passed a tractor. As I did he drifted over and it was my turn to hop into the ditch. I think I scared the denim off of him. R and B said he whipped his head around and freaked out.

A little bit about doing this ride in one day. It's not hard or impossible or dangerous. We ride it fast, but stay within our limits. It is an endurance test of man and machine. This is not a race per se, but we were racing the Sun.

We lost.

We watched the last traces of light disappear right after we crossed Hwy 21 west of Alto. To make matters worse, it started to rain.

The last 25 miles of twisty tight country roads were most definitely the hardest. We took the last miles at between 25-35 MPH, trying to see the road between the drops of water on our goggles and the dust in the air. I would lose them and stop. They would catch up and I would start again, putting a cloud of dust into the air. They would slow down to see and I would lose them again. Rinse and repeat. Rman lost his brakelight and taillight during this stretch. I was driving by GPS and a prayer, and if you know me you know how little that helps. I had to stand the whole way to get a little better coverage of the road my my headlight, but I got caught by a couple turns that were hiding.

When we got to Hwy 86 west of Rusk, I knew we had done it. 7 miles of rain-stinging slab to go, but the end was so close. The rain increased, but as it was pouring into my dirt-bike helmet, it was striking me squarely in my foolish grin.

We rolled together into the Koa at 7:52pm.

We had traveled 455 miles. We had a moving average of 44.7MPH and a total average including all stops of 34.5MPH. We had a lot of mechanical troubles but no falls, drops, or flats. Everyone made it home safely, and I call that a win.

I'll be back to do it again next year.

What about you?

Last edited:
Rolling J. And all the Dirty Butt riders. :clap::clap::clap:
Sorry we had eaten all the BBQ before your arrival back at the Rusk KOA. :rofl:
What a great group of riders. And next year there are 6 :rider:

Nice write up Joel. I missed being there. Instead I refinished a bathroom floor and still ended up feeling the same a I did last year after completing the one day ride. Go figure.

Joel, I just might have to take you guys up on the invite for the 1-day ride. I feel like I've familiarized myself with the route well enough, maybe a pre-ride weekend a few weeks before just for a refresher to ride the fun sections with a small group will be needed, but I think I just might be in. See you guys soon, Travis

Friday continued...

First and only repair stop on Friday. One rider had to replace a broken clutch lever. Alpine357 had one in his spares.

IMGP0022Large_zps710a6bf5.jpg

Another break. The coolness on the morning had burned off and it was getting warm.

IMGP0024Large_zps4e5e95a9.jpg

We were running a bit late and had to skip nine mile road on the way into Beans Campground. I’m kinda glad as I was getting tired and this is not the place to make a mistake.

The crew at Beans was great. No mad dash for for tasty beverages at the end of the ride. They also had coffee and donuts the next morning which was nice.

The camp at Beans.

IMGP0029Large_zps8a89999e.jpg

Sunset through the trees.

IMGP0031Large_zpsa1b4541b.jpg

I was told last year there was no water here due to the drought.

IMGP0033Large_zps1c6cb6db.jpg

Looking back toward the campground.

IMGP0035Large_zpsce731f5f.jpg

And Timbercat’s Triumph. A really nice bike.

IMGP0039Large_zps2fed562b.jpg

To be continued…

Last edited:
I enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks to RollingJ for leading out on the one day. Thanks to Timbercat for organizing overall. I traveled with Electrified and Silverbullet and could not have had a finer time. I traveled roomed, and rode with guys I had never met or had only shook their hand in passing. It is amazing how motorcycles and the love of them can put people together like they have known each other for a long time.

RollingJ said it well!!

From left to right: Wedge1, Electrified, Bwdmax, Rman of 237, RollingJ, and Silverbullet:rider:

Then there were 5.:-(
Then there were 6.:thumb:
Then there were 5.:thumbd:
Then there were 4.:ponder:
Then there were 3.:eek2:

We stood. We did the one cheek sneak. We shook out our legs and tried to not think about how bad dirt bikes seats are for sitting on; all the while putting the miles behind us.
Everyone made it home safely, and I call that a win.

I'll be back to do it again next year.

What about you?

I need to thank Timbercat and his magnificent wife Bev for being so fun to ride with on day three, I had to get off the bike due to a previous shoulder injury and falling the first two days (even a little) made it throb. On with the pictures!

dannyboy
8089950129_4f3e48ef39_c.jpg

Watching the last group leave.
8089969014_c2194aeb81_c.jpg

Legends.
8089974033_70ddfbd280_c.jpg

I am pretty sure this dog chased me a few times.
8090017342_40d66b63eb_c.jpg

Justin had the misfortune of high siding his 950, he got off on the low side and he was not injured. The sag wagon was there in under 15 minutes.
8089994876_4776f2ce34_c.jpg

Lost and Found
These were left outside the showers in Rusk at the KOA.
yjevugy6.jpg

Size 12 . I have them here in Bandera. PM me.

Timbercat
Tapatalk HD from my iPad

There was a fair share of carnage for both man and machine. It does not seem that taking being able to take one's time kept the accidents from occurring, either. Weird.

The 950 looks like it took a pretty hard hit. I'm glad to hear it was just the bike.

Saturday ride back to Rusk

The next morning the load up had already started.

IMGP0043Large_zps23edfa20.jpg

And of course loading up the support trailer.

IMGP0050Large_zpsc12f0c15.jpg

Alpine357 stretching his legs before getting underway.

IMGP0051Large_zps95734987.jpg

The North group decided that traveling further south would increase
our chances of riding and camping in the rain. The forecast were for
heavy rain so we decided to head north back to the Rusk KOA.

I got into another group of riders on the way back. This way Steve
would not have to wait on the old-n-slow dude…me.

John was tagged as the ride leader and we had Justin, Ki, with
Harold riding sweep.

Harold (silsvee) at the first rest stop.

IMGP0052Large_zpsea178cd9.jpg

Our group bikes

John on the yellow DRZ400, Justin on the KTM, Ki on the KDX 2 stoke,
my DRZ 400, and Harold's DR-650.

IMGP0054Large_zps45106eb1.jpg

John and Ki discussing gas and directions.

IMGP0058Large_zps1e0b2137.jpg

The road headed toward some nice bottom land we of course were headed the other way.

IMGP0060Large_zpsf3f884d3.jpg

Justin’s KTM

IMGP0062Large_zps69712243.jpg

Uh oh…waited too long…the fast group approaches.

IMGP0063Large_zps851498e5.jpg

To be continued…

Last edited:
Great ride report Jason, looking forward to the rest!

Here's some more of mine.

Day two.
8091021235_bbdbba7b1b_c.jpg

dannyboy had rabbits chasing him everywhere!
8091042752_9f177581e9_c.jpg

Sunday morning in Rusk.
8091052877_41fd30ec44_c.jpg

First off thanks to Lee and his wife for putting on this ride. I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I'll say one thing for that part of the country. There sure is enough churches and grave yards down there!

Saturday after lunch,JT and I turned off on a road that wasn't part of the route so I could take a whizz. I took off my helmet and Cameback,hung them on the bike and walked over to a giant fire and bed. I was peeing on the fire ant bed and saying "take that you dirty *******s" and when I finished I headed back to where JT was parked. Then all of a sudden something was stinging the crap out of my back! :eek2: I started doing a dance and peeling off my jacket so JT could see what was biting me. It was a bee that had went down inside my jacket! JT was laughing as he said "karma sucks don't it"
I guess the fire ants and the bees are in cahoots down there.

Back