• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
No I'm not talking about the WW2 offensive, but rather my mid-section bulge. My reason for this posting is to make public my battle and goals among friends and to make myself publicly accountable.

I did something like this years ago when I decided to quit smoking. I had tried (in secret) many times but failed. I never had to tell anyone I failed because no one knew I had tried. Once I made my goal to quit smoking public, I could not be seen anywhere with a cigarette and I would have the embarrassment of everyone knowing I failed. It worked, and that was about 25 years ago. Now I have a new addiction that is killing me.

This came about because of my desire to ride the Continintal Divide Route (CDR) this spring. Yes, this will be attempt #3, but that is a different story. Although I'm retired, my kitchen passes are normally limited to 2 weeks (longer than that, the dishes start to stack up), but this trip was looking to be at least 3 weeks. My good friend Hizzo pleaded with the Saint for an extended pass and she reluctantly agreed but with the stipulation that I get in better shape so that she does not have to deal with retrieving my fat corpse from the middle of nowhere because I had keeled over from a heart attack.

With this goal, I started to do some research and found with my weight and height I have now achieved the honorable status of MORBIDLY OBESE! obese is one thing, but morbidly obese is, well ... morbid. Obese can always be glossed over with nice terms like "Husky", "on the heavy side"', etc. There is nothing you can do with morbidly obese. That's just plain FAT. I have to lose the "morbidly" from my classification.

Some time back, another TWT friend (Time To Ride) and I were talking about health goals and we agreed that I needed to lose weight and he needed to stop chewing tobacco. He quit chewing for a while but I did not live up to my end of the bargain and he has returned to chewing. Now that I have publicly called him out he has to quit chewing as long as I live up to my end of the deal.

Physically I am 65 and the thought of having to slow down because of my age and health is depressing. I can't do much about my age, but I recognize I must get in better condition if I want to continue to have good adventures.

I'm asking for your support, encouragement and damnation if I fall off the wagon. About once a week I will post my current weight and what I have done to condition my body.

So, here is the starting point.

Height 5'10
Weight: 287 lbs.

No I'm not talking about the WW2 offensive, but rather my mid-section bulge. My reason for this posting is to make public my battle and goals among friends and to make myself publicly accountable.

I did something like this years ago when I decided to quit smoking. I had tried (in secret) many times but failed. I never had to tell anyone I failed because no one knew I had tried. Once I made my goal to quit smoking public, I could not be seen anywhere with a cigarette and I would have the embarrassment of everyone knowing I failed. It worked, and that was about 25 years ago. Now I have a new addiction that is killing me.

This came about because of my desire to ride the Continintal Divide Route (CDR) this spring. Yes, this will be attempt #3, but that is a different story. Although I'm retired, my kitchen passes are normally limited to 2 weeks (longer than that, the dishes start to stack up), but this trip was looking to be at least 3 weeks. My good friend Hizzo pleaded with the Saint for an extended pass and she reluctantly agreed but with the stipulation that I get in better shape so that she does not have to deal with retrieving my fat corpse from the middle of nowhere because I had keeled over from a heart attack.

With this goal, I started to do some research and found with my weight and height I have now achieved the honorable status of MORBIDLY OBESE! obese is one thing, but morbidly obese is, well ... morbid. Obese can always be glossed over with nice terms like "Husky", "on the heavy side"', etc. There is nothing you can do with morbidly obese. That's just plain FAT. I have to lose the "morbidly" from my classification.

Some time back, another TWT friend (Time To Ride) and I were talking about health goals and we agreed that I needed to lose weight and he needed to stop chewing tobacco. He quit chewing for a while but I did not live up to my end of the bargain and he has returned to chewing. Now that I have publicly called him out he has to quit chewing as long as I live up to my end of the deal.

Physically I am 65 and the thought of having to slow down because of my age and health is depressing. I can't do much about my age, but I recognize I must get in better condition if I want to continue to have good adventures.

I'm asking for your support, encouragement and damnation if I fall off the wagon. About once a week I will post my current weight and what I have done to condition my body.

So, here is the starting point.

Height 5'10
Weight: 287 lbs.

Good luck! Its really tough and i commend you for throwing it out there and giving it a shot. Planning your meals and learning how to eat a sensible diet is the key. Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym!

You're The Man Bob! :clap:

On this one I will refrain from giving you any grief. You've got 100% support from me sir. You can do it!

We used to have a thread devoted to tracking peoples' results, maybe a new one would encourage others as well.

Search on "Monday Morning Weigh In" and you'll see the various prior years threads.

Bob - All I can say is good for you for recognizing a change is in order. If I have any advice, it's you didn't get this way overnight and it won't go away overnight - so don't get discouraged along the journey. It takes time and effort and I can say it DOES come off if you do your part. If I can help, let me know.

What is the plan to lose weight? When my wife was in college, she lost 40lbs walking every night.

Exercise and eat right and be patient and the pounds will come off.

Prayer coming your way cuz sometimes good thoughts don't you get anywhere. ;-)

I didn't even see this since it was moved to off topic. I don't agree but hey.

Anyway, Bob, here are a few tips.
1) don't focus on weight/BMI. BMI is a poor feeler of overall physical health. I've run 36 min 5 miles and still considered obese. Personally, I'd set an inch goal and fitness goal like walk a mile in X mins while keeping heart rate below X value. In fact I'd expect you to gain 5-10% weight while still loosing inches. This is because fat is less dense than muscle tissue.

2) muscles are your friend. The more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn at rest (called basal metabolism). However this can be a tougher thing to achieve given your age. First, read up on catabolism. This is the state in which your body consumes itself for energy. In summary, your body will burn in this order: unused muscle, unused organ tissue, then fat tissue. This means you MUST use muscle mass (ie work out) otherwise your body will consume it. Its amazing how efficient your body can be. Since you dont have a gym in your area, i'd strongly suggest floating craigslist for a bowflex. Its not the best choice, however its better than no choice. I know you said there was a gym in SA, but convenience is your first line of defense against excuses.

3) come up with a workout schedule (pm me if you need help) and stick to it. Have the Saint join you. Make sure she knows the first few weeks excuses are not allowed. The hardest point of any bad habit are the first few weeks.

4) diet diet diet... and I don't mean starve yourself as this is counterproductive. Starvation puts your body in survival mode (catabolic state). Eat smaller but more often. But more importantly, figure out the amount of calories you eat in a day. Allow yourself 1 cheat a week as a reward. A good general rule is 1 gm protein for 1 lb weight as a maintain. For you I'd say your target should be around 180 grams of protein.

I'm behind you 100% (not just because I have a vested interest lol) and anywhere you need help I'm there for you. Too bad you just did the suspension on your Ural. Your gonna have to redo it or add ballast weight when you're done :trust:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
...Since you dont have a gym in your area, i'd strongly suggest floating craigslist for a bowflex. Its not the best choice, however its better than no choice. I know you said there was a gym in SA, but convenience is your first line of defense against excuses...

Bob, if you are interested I have a treadmill and/or stationary bike you can have.

...come up with a workout schedule (pm me if you need help) and stick to it. Have the Saint join you. Make sure she knows the first few weeks excuses are not allowed. The hardest point of any bad habit are the first few weeks....

I can ride up...strike that, I forgot that this is a non-motorcycle-related thread...I can drive up on weekends to walk/run/work out with you. Let me know. You can do this!

Thanks, but doc says no treadmill, jogging or for that matter take it easy on walking.

But I got other body parts that I can use.

Being old has its advantages. There is something thatbis part of medicare called "silver sneakers", yeah that's a dorky name. But I get free memberships to fitness centers such as Golds Gym. And this I have already done. I can't tell you everything yet cuz need to have something to report next week

I'm wondering if I should have posted this in the "best chicken fried steak" thread since it is apparently motorcycle related and resides in the general section :-|

I like Carl's stationary bike idea. Its low impact so the doc may be OK with it. Plus it helps build flexibility in your bad foot. They had me on a stationary bike for my knee before they let me walk without crutches to improve flexibility and I told them that the lack of cardio was making me go insane.

If you can go easy on walking, you can go easy on a treadmill. Dunno why you are under Dr. Care but you might check the hospital in Waco for a PT center and see of they can hook you up.

$40 buys you a yoga mat, 2 sets of DBs and a Jillian Michaels DVD. Start slow cuz it WILL kick your a**.

Reduce your salt and sugar intake that helped me some. Especailly the salt part. Exercise will probubly be the main key. Drew

Good idea on the accountability angle!

I've always been a big guy, but about 3-4 years ago I lost almost 50lbs. I did this mostly by simply reducing the amount of calories I eat in a day-obvious, huh? :lol2:

I started keeping a log of EVERYTHING I ate in a day, with no goal to begin with. This was instructive to show me what I have been doing wrong. After a month or two of that, I started seeing some trends and began to focus on those. Basically, I was eating 3,500 to 4,500 calories a day when I should have been eating around 2,500. Once I had that goal in mind, I was more mindful of what I ate and I started losing weight naturally and gradually over the span of about a year and a half. I've managed to keep the weight off because I still log what I eat in an iPhone app. I find that when I stop logging, even though I still know what habits I need to maintain, its still too easy to overeat.

Good luck with your fitness goals, Bob!

Good decision! Others have done it and so can you. From my own experience:

First three weeks are the toughest. Your body is addicted to lots of bad food and there is some withdrawal pain involved. Make hunger pangs an encouraging sign of progress. Mind over body...not the other way around.

Exercise! Folks who just try starving themselves thin are fighting against their bodies genetic conditioning for survival. That's just fundamental programming. Despite all the diet schemes and books on the topic, it's all just simple arithmetic: Calories expended must be more than those consumed.

Eat good food! Eating right doesn't mean always being hungry from ridiculously small portions at mealtime. That happens when we continue eating highly concentrated foods...but less of them. Bad approach. Libraries of info are available on this. Barley is our friend.

Expect weight loss plateaus that will drive you nuts. Weight will drop fast and then suddenly stop. I have no idea why this happens but it seems to happen to everyone. This is when a lot of folks give up. Stay with your program. Weight will start dropping again just as suddenly as it stopped.

Sometimes it just takes the right spark. Mine was the shock spring on a KTM 530. Whatever...the results are worth it. Don't let your tongue and tummy run your life. You can do this. :thumb:

i see this thread has returned to where it should be

WHAT IT TAKES TO RIDE, should be in the GENERAL postings

kinda like EATING CHICKEN FRIED STEAKS

good luck on your quest, the CDT

sw

If you can go easy on walking, you can go easy on a treadmill. Dunno why you are under Dr. Care but you might check the hospital in Waco for a PT center and see of they can hook you up.

$40 buys you a yoga mat, 2 sets of DBs and a Jillian Michaels DVD. Start slow cuz it WILL kick your a**.

I'm under Dr care because of a recent major fracture of my right foot. Because of its location and number of breaks (6), healing has been slow. I still have a gap between the bones that has not yet netted so its still the hardware that is holding my foot together. Hence; I need to avoid putting much stress on my foot. Strangely, my most pain and discomfort is in my ankle of the same foot (which I broke 2 years ago) and I suspect that pain is mostly due to its being immobilized for so long. The doc said a stationary bike was OK and I tried that yesterday and it felt good to get the ankle limbered up.

I am in a physical therapy program, but that is mostly just for range of motion so no cardo work here. There is however a sweet young lady that massages my foot and she seems to increase my heart rate. Does that count?

By the way, I now live in New Braunfels/Canyon Lake area

I <3 you, Bob :sun: You can do this!

(No, that's not 'less than butt' you...)

Do you have access to a pool? Aqua jogging is very low impact and the buoyancy factor helps with not stressing vertically the bones. Good muscle movement via resistance with high heart rates obtainable.

Good luck with the quest, Bob. I put in my preference for riding a bike. Low impact and you can keep you heart rate in the zone for weight loss. And you will need that leg strength on the Divide Ride. Spring may be too soon. Wait till early fall when you have had a chance to loose the weight and gain the level of fitness needed for that long haul. Start at the north end and follow the season south. The aspens changing are an amazing sight to see if you time it right. I'll be rooting for you!

Good luck with the quest, Bob. I put in my preference for riding a bike. Low impact and you can keep you heart rate in the zone for weight loss. And you will need that leg strength on the Divide Ride. Spring may be too soon. Wait till early fall when you have had a chance to loose the weight and gain the level of fitness needed for that long haul. Start at the north end and follow the season south. The aspens changing are an amazing sight to see if you time it right. I'll be rooting for you!

Yeah I'm thinking the direction could be my problem. I've always tried this south-to-north. If I go north-to-south I will be going downhill the whole way. At least that what shows on my map.

I think if you change your screen name to Butterless Bob, it might give you a psychological edge

The plan boss, the plan

OK folks, I'm beginning to put a plan together. At least an excessive plan. Changing eating (and drinking) habits is, I think, going to be hardest so I am going to start with the easiest.

Through my Medicare plan, I was able to join a local gym here in Sattler. AnyTimeFitness. They have what looks to be nice equipment and is very convienant. I also was able to get a free membership to Golds Gym (old age has some benefits). The Golds Gym is in San Antonio and about a 40 min drive but they have a pool.

A few days ago, I went to a water aerobics class at the Golds Gym. Being that all the other participants were old fat women, I felt like I might drown in a pool of estrogen. I was about as gracefull as a bull frog and had trouble getting in the rythum of the program. But being in the water did allow me to walk more freely.

The problem with yoga mats or exercise equipment at home in my lack of self discipline. To get this started, at least for now, I felt my best option would be to retain the services of a personal trainer. No this is not covered my Medicare.

Both AnyTimeFitness and Golds Gym offered PTs and the cost was about the same. The PT at AnyTime was a young woman and the one at Golds Gym was a guy with biceps the size of tree trucks. Wana guess which one I chose.

Last edited:
Both AnyTimeFitness and Golds Gym offered PTs and the cost was about the same. The PT at AnyTime was a young woman and the one at Golds Gym was a guy with biceps the size of tree trucks. Wana guess which one I chose.

Was his name Dolph Lundgren? Women PT's are masochistic. Enjoy! I think this is a smart option though as she will give you the one on one we can't. And make sure she knows not to take it easy on you cause we won't :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back