TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance > Users Providing Tire Changing Services

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #121
rthompson

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Any idea on when this will take place?
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #122
IvanFZ1

PM sent

09 Klx 250 S
08 WR250R
08 Kymco 125 Scooter

Fun, but gone.
08 GSX 650F
05 CRF 150F
06 EX 650 R
08 Kawasaki C14
02 FZ1
02 R6
03 CBR 600
05 VT750
IvanFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #123
wildernessrider

LOL! Rolling J knows my "hey I got another flat" stance all too well. That is me hiding behind that WRX front tire. I was trying to follow a couple of faster riders on bigger bikes last year on the inaugural Desert Challenge. Came ripping down the trail in 5th gear and slammed across a bunch of baby heads sticking up. I hit one so hard the whole wheel made a loud resonating ping, and launched my front end. I remained on the throttle undaunted, but then about 500 yards later... Oh boy, that little 17" motard front tire was the toughest I have ever seen, were it not for a group of the old guard riders who willingly got involved with all the custom made extra long and strong tire tools, I would have had to concede defeat. That pic was taken early on in the bout. It ended as a large Texas tag team match against one extra ornery front tire.
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #124
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompson View Post
Any idea on when this will take place?
Looking at doing a Saturday (as in tomorrow) session with Ivan if you're game
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #125
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanFZ1 View Post
PM sent
I sent your PM back with a note attached
Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #126
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
LOL! Rolling J knows my "hey I got another flat" stance all too well. That is me hiding behind that WRX front tire. I was trying to follow a couple of faster riders on bigger bikes last year on the inaugural Desert Challenge. Came ripping down the trail in 5th gear and slammed across a bunch of baby heads sticking up. I hit one so hard the whole wheel made a loud resonating ping, and launched my front end. I remained on the throttle undaunted, but then about 500 yards later... Oh boy, that little 17" motard front tire was the toughest I have ever seen, were it not for a group of the old guard riders who willingly got involved with all the custom made extra long and strong tire tools, I would have had to concede defeat. That pic was taken early on in the bout. It ended as a large Texas tag team match against one extra ornery front tire.
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. [/color] PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.
Great tire story! I highlighted some key parts
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #127
tricepilot

Looking For More Mad Scientists!

Looking for "adjunct instructors" in Houston, Austin, McAllen, other places.

I asked M38A1 to remove the "San Antonio" part off of the thread title because I would like to expand the number of mentors offering to assist other riders in becoming confident in tire and tube maintenance.

You can be "THAT GUY" in a good sense!

Volunteer to be a mentor/instructor in your area (could even use more here in San Antonio).

Be a part of the twtex.com Mad Scientist Tire Academy by volunteering to teach others what you know about tire maintenance.

Doesn't always have to be at your home - take your instructive skills on the road during group rides. Have a session before or after the ride.

If you volunteer to be a mentor, I'll put your screen name on the upcoming map in your general geographic location in Texas (or elsewhere).

You riders with a lot of tire changing experience, flat tire fixing experience, guys that have put together a good kit for the trail, can help newer riders or riders who just want to be more confident that they can learn to be very self sufficient on the trail if they get a flat - step to the plate and be a Mad Scientist in the Academy.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #128
tricepilot

Re: Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Looking for more photos of flat fixing on the ride - both on and off road

Got those pics - post them up here in the thread
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #129
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.
Thanks again Donnie for the story
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #130
rthompson

I need the instruction/practice but work is going get in they way this weekend. Shame. Thanks for stepping up and mentoring skills like this.
I get one Saturday a month off so I will have to try and catch one at a later date. And hopefully a new rear tire to learn with by then too.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #131
Tracker

Rule #1 of trailside tire changing....don't sit in the cactus.
"Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave."
- William Pitt
"The greater the number of laws and enactments, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao-tzu

Massey Ferguson 1020 - Old Red
Memories: Honda VLX, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha FZ6
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #132
Meriden

Here's some tire fixin' pics.

Last years ET500 didn't last too long for most folks, but for Kevin, Doug and me we were closing in on the finish when Doug picked up a tent stake sized nail in his rear tire. This gave me a chance to test my jack stand. Between a spare tube and the shampoo that Kevin snagged at the hotel we managed to get back on the road pretty quickly.

Year before last ThrasherG, Rman and I spent a few sun filled days chasing around Southern California. Anybody who thinks they are ready is not. If they know they just thought they were ready the last time, there may be a chance. We were headed back to Ridgecrest from Vegas via the slab to grab ThrasherG's phone out of the desert. (A long story.) Just short of Death Valley this happened:

Gary carried an electric pump.

If someone gets lost during LAB2V all they have to do was climb to the top of a ridge and look for a group of guys fixing flats. Run heavy duty tubes and enough air.

I spent 44 minutes this morning changing the MT21 on the back of the Challenge. Not too much cussing and used my kit with the exception of my compressor and window cleaner. No hurry...

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #133
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Rule #1 of trailside tire changing....don't sit in the cactus.
Number one rule of not tire changing "Don't ride in cactus."

Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #134
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompson View Post
I need the instruction/practice but work is going get in they way this weekend. Shame. Thanks for stepping up and mentoring skills like this.
I get one Saturday a month off so I will have to try and catch one at a later date. And hopefully a new rear tire to learn with by then too.
Let me know.

I might also be able to be talked to coming over to Boerne to assist at your place. Depends upon location of BBQ joints in the area.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #135
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Here's some tire fixin' pics.

Last years ET500 didn't last too long for most folks, but for Kevin, Doug and me we were closing in on the finish when Doug picked up a tent stake sized nail in his rear tire. This gave me a chance to test my jack stand. Between a spare tube and the shampoo that Kevin snagged at the hotel we managed to get back on the road pretty quickly.

Year before last ThrasherG, Rman and I spent a few sun filled days chasing around Southern California. Anybody who thinks they are ready is not. If they know they just thought they were ready the last time, there may be a chance. We were headed back to Ridgecrest from Vegas via the slab to grab ThrasherG's phone out of the desert. (A long story.) Just short of Death Valley this happened:

Gary carried an electric pump.

If someone gets lost during LAB2V all they have to do was climb to the top of a ridge and look for a group of guys fixing flats. Run heavy duty tubes and enough air.

I spent 44 minutes this morning changing the MT21 on the back of the Challenge. Not too much cussing and used my kit with the exception of my compressor and window cleaner. No hurry...
Muy excellente - with your permission these will be added to the new Flat Gallery going at the front of the thread
Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #136
Meriden

Quote:
Muy excellente - with your permission these will be added to the new Flat Gallery going at the front of the thread
Please. I'd also be available if someone wants a second pair of eyes when I'm in SW Houston or La Grange. Can't say I'm always around, but when I am I'm willing to help. Give me a shout.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #137
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

To the readers: if this happened to YOU, would YOU be ready?
The assistant is Chuck "CeeBee".

Quote:

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

To the readers: if this happened to YOU, would YOU be ready?
I took that pic coming down off of Imogene Pass in Colorado in 2010. I think it was Stan's KTM that had the flat. My KLR was the "pumping station". We were riding through one of the MANY abandoned mines in that area. It was the second flat of the day. Left to right, _RG_, Stan, Rsquared, and Desmo.

So if you guys are going to be doing this like you are out riding, are you gonna scatter dirt and rocks all over the garage floor? I carry a small 4' X 4' vinyl table cloth to use as a clean work space. Got that idea from Richard "Trail Boss".

Here are a few more fun shots for you...

Rsquared changing the rear on his KTM 990 in Cloudcroft, Slime EVERYWHERE!!

We had trouble getting the bead to seat on the tire. Had we not had my electric pump, we could have been in trouble. We had to deflate and reinflate a few times to get it to work. CO2 cartridges would have been exhausted. Even with the pump, he finally had to just ride about a mile real slow before the bead finally popped into place on each side. The slime was an ungodly mess and made the whole process miserable. YMMV.

GHT, Beemin and _RG_, fixing a flat going up Imogene

The KLR "pumping station" in action on the downside of Imogene

Another nail in Montana last Sept, Rsquared jumps in to help again! Left to right, Rsquared, Keith (his XR650R) and Stovey (ride organizer)

Use whatever you can find to prop up the bike...

Same tire flat again later in the day... Ulybrad serving as a deadweight...

And Rsquared is in there again!

And... third time is a charm!

Finally found the problem... a missed nail from the first flat early in the day

Keith went through a spare rear tube, spare front tube, and even tried the BIG zip tie thing to keep the tire on the rim. ALL failed. Once we got the second nail out, I gave him my spare rear tube and we were good to go. So there is a risk if you don't completely remove the tire/rube and inspect the inside of the tire for more punctures.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #138
rthompson

Quote:
Let me know.

I might also be able to be talked to coming over to Boerne to assist at your place. Depends upon location of BBQ joints in the area.
That's a very generous and appreciated offer. Just this evening I received a set of SW Motech crash bars I ordered almost a month ago. I now have a list of parts that are waiting to be installed and I'm getting ever more impatient.

Boerne has three or four great BBQ places, but this place is hands down the best I've had...
http://kleinsmokehaus.com/
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #139
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Please. I'd also be available if someone wants a second pair of eyes when I'm in SW Houston or La Grange. Can't say I'm always around, but when I am I'm willing to help. Give me a shout.
Thanks man, I'll add you to the regional list soon to be added to the front of the thread
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #140
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
So if you guys are going to be doing this like you are out riding, are you gonna scatter dirt and rocks all over the garage floor? I carry a small 4' X 4' vinyl table cloth to use as a clean work space. Got that idea from Richard "Trail Boss".

Here are a few more fun shots for you...
Thanks man, I'll integrate the pics into the gallery at the front of the thread.

Muchisimas gracias for the platform to help our amigitos to keep the rubber side down on the trail......