• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Three TWT Bike Nights in a row then South Dakota...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Just a short bit ago I asked Rusty (Woodbutcher) if I could tag along on his Montana trip. When I got back, Bill (DFW_Warrior) had offered up an opportunity to head "North - with no particular destination..." other than South Dakota with a couple of his co-workers and fellow TWT forum members. Hmmm..... OK - I'm in.

I didn't really have much packing to do. In fact, I simply pared down my list I still had on my desk from the Montana trip and changed a few things around a bit. The biggest question boiled down to mesh gear or my full textiles. The bike was still good-to-go from the last outing. What else is there? What am I missing? :ponder:

Stay tuned with a cold beverage if you're so inclined.... I'm guessing this will be yet another adventure.

i-qP8c7nP-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Three TWT Bike Nights in a row then South Dakota... Really?

I'm in. Enjoyed the last one, so I'll ride along this time too.:sun:

Ready to virtually ride along.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

08/26/2015 - Wednesday
To: Katy Bike Night, then back to Austin, TX (#1 of 3)
Miles: 323

Knowing I was heading out for another cross-country trip in a few days, I thought there might be some ‘fun’ in trying to make three Two Wheeled Texans Bike Nights/Meet&Greets in a row before heading out. So with that, I fueled up the pig and made the hot run down to Katy to have some good dinner and conversation with the Katy contingent.

I got there a bit early…. It was that or suffer in the Austin metro-mess just trying to get out of town. Shortly thereafter, the Katy crowd began to arrive. Just like the last time I ran down several months ago, there always seems to be a big crowd at 7pm.

I spent a fair amount time talking to Regina (JTM/Justin’s wife) about her triathlon training and upcoming races as well as catching up with the crowd. Alas, the 9pm hour rolled around and that’s my bingo point for returning to Austin before it gets stupid late, so I headed back to Austin.

A good time is always had in Katy with the TWT crowd for their weekly Bike Night at Marini's Empanada House.

The first of three consecutive TWT Meet&Greets done!

i-nWMWrdT-XL.jpg

(Clockwise: Donnie, Justin, Regina, Me, Wyatt, Tom, Jamie, Erik, Dennis, Al and Rebecca behind the camera)

Last edited:

I'm in! Oh wait, I guess you already knew that.

This should be fun.

I'm in! Oh wait, I guess you already knew that.

Who's this DFW guy and why is he stalking my thread? :rofl:

08/27/2015 - Thursday
To: Austin, TX - Hot Rod Coffee M&G (#2 of 3)
Miles: 2

You read right. TWO miles. I suppose you could say I’m kind of close? lol

In Austin we have two Meet&Greets scheduled for Thursdays. Initially we all started out at Billys on Burnet, a local burger and beer joint which has both inside and outside seating. The place has been nice in the uber-hot summer months with a/c, and nice when it was raining to keep us dry, and the food is pretty good. That group arrives at 11:00. I almost dropped by as I was in the area around 11:15 or so, but opted to hit Kens at noon. I did see a few vehicles/bikes in the parking lot so I know we had some TWT folks there.

Then a large group of us migrated over to a newer place that is rider-owned called Hot Rod Coffee Trailer. Ken (SilverStreakx on TWT) opened his place coming up on four years now and many decided to support the “small guy” who is also a rider. He serves up great custom hot dogs and gourmet coffee, with outside seating which can be a bit miserable in the cold, heat and rain. That group arrives about noon. I’d go as far as to say we’re pretty hard-core supporters of his place.

We had a nice turnout with about eight or nine folks at Kens, with some hitting Billy’s first. The coffee and conversation is always good and varied, and Ken provides excellent service to us all.

Yep, another wonderful TWT group of folks getting together for a TWT Meet&Greet two days in a row for me now.

Tomorrow? Arlington's Friday Night Ice Cream Bikes event with yet another TWT crowd. :eat:

Last edited:

08/28/2015 - Friday
To: Arlington, TX - Friday Night Ice Cream Bike (#3 of 3)

Miles: 201

This whole trip to Arlington started like this:

“Scott, if you are up for another motorbike ride; I leave out in a few weeks to head to the Black Hills with two good buddies. Wanna go?” That’s about all it took I suppose to consider yet another trip “North”.

So literally the day of this third of three Meet&Greets in a row for me, I gathered my camping gear (which by the way was still in the go-to bag from the Montana trip), tossed in some clothes and a shave kit and packed my full textiles figuring I would wear my mesh as I still couldn’t make my mind up on what gear I was going to wear for the ‘big’ trip. Camera was still going to be the same – the D4s and the 24-70 f/2.8. Yeah, a bit limited on distance, but the majority of my shots hopefully will be acceptable with this one lens. I had a spare pannier as I opted to forgo the laptop this time.

I did some PT work on the leg/hip, showered, packed the bike, stopped by the Post Office on the way out of town and was headed North by 12:30. Great. Friday lunch traffic.

i-DbMdQcc-XL.jpg

The ride North was a bit on the ‘warmish’ side with temps crowding 100*F. Traffic was reasonably light for a Friday lunchtime departure which surprised me. I was shocked to see the area of I35 North of Waco up to Hillsboro was finally finished. Man, that was a real treat with that stretch being completed now. How many years did they take to do that? Five?

In Hillsboro a fuel tanker trucker and I chatted up about fifteen minutes worth of riding stories. He has a bike and likes to take the ‘long trips’, but he said the money was just too good hauling fuel to take time off for a good long road trip. He was a pleasant chap, but I had to politely tell him I had some miles to get down before it got too late on a Friday in the Ft. Worth area.

I found my way to Bill’s (DFW_Warrior on TWT) place easily and was offered a spot in their garage for my bike so I didn’t have to worry about all the gear overnight on the street. Rachel, Bill’s wife (Butte on TWT) gave me a big old glass of ice water first thing which really hit the spot. We chatted a bit, then they pulled out some BBQ fixings from a big cook (like HUNDREDS of people) Bill did earlier that day for his company. Bill is quite the aficionado at this BBQ cooking thing for the masses…… Grilled chicken thighs (probably one of my favorites to cook as they are soooo forgiving), with some special lime/cilantro long grain white rice and veggies really hit the spot before we headed to the TWT Arlington “Ice Cream” bike night Meet&Greet to make three TWT M&G’s in as many days

We headed over to Burger Box where half a dozen or more fellow TWT members were already there. Looking much like a converted Dairy Queen, the food looked pretty good and everyone was enjoying the food, ice cream and good conversations. I had some good conversation with Janet (Janet on TWT) and Leon (focus_frenzy) as well as Casey. Speaking of Casey (De Trommelslager), I learned what his screen name actually means. Drummer in German. I never would have guessed that and learned something new in the process.

i-Tmh7RMC-XL.jpg

i-pQ4jgt3-XL.jpg

i-Q6fW3dB-XL.jpg

i-c9P6m7q-XL.jpg

A bit later, the crowd started to migrate outside to do more ‘bike talk’ under a wonderfully full 8/28/2015 moon.

i-5HbFq8D-XL.jpg

Alas, time was approaching the departure hour as tomorrow would start yet another ‘adventure’ for us.

We found our way back to Bill and Rachel’s house, got cleaned up for the night and then the real treat happened. Homemade ice cream instead of Burger Box’s commercial product. Apparently, in addition to being a BBQ guru, Bill also loves making high quality ice cream with a hand turned churn. Now THAT hit the spot.

As my standard M-O of late, I didn’t sleep well with tons of thoughts running rampant through my head about the upcoming trip and the significance of today…..

Stay tuned..... Tomorrow begins what I'm sure will be yet another adventure, meeting a new TWT member and re-connecting with one I met a year ago.

Last edited:
08/29/2015 - Saturday
To: Minden, NE
Miles: 677

Man did that 0530 alarm come early….. Didn’t really sleep well, my mind simply would not shut down for the night in spite of the comfy sleeper couch thinggie Bill and Rachel provided. So with maybe two hours sleep, the time came to get dressed and face the new day.

And what a day! Rachel started out by making these awesome fried egg sammies which were just the ticket I needed to get going. About that time Frank (franklyspeaking on TWT) and Vince (vincois on TWT) arrived and ready to roll. Frank is on a newish Triumph Bonneville and Vince on a 2014 HD FLHX Street Glide. (I kept calling it a FX-LMNOP) Bill is on the 2012 Tenere and I’m on the 2002 R1150GS. We had a quick talk about fuel capacity and mileage stops (Frank would be our limiting bike at about 150-160 miles which was actually quite nice), and how fast we’d run (5-7 over max). Today’s objective was to “just make miles”. Plain and simple, get as far as we could stand to get away from the heat, preferably Minden NE which meant crossing through OK, KS and into NE.

Oh, and I left the solid textiles at Bills opting for all mesh which in the end was the perfect call this time of year.

So we’re off! And 20 minutes later we run into a traffic jam that would rival a major metropolitan city like Ft. Worth. Seems the road construction guys decided today would be the day to install the large concrete support beams for an overhead highway pass and traffic was literally at a stop. Since we were so close to where Bill, Frank and Vince live, they all knew a quick way around the backup and off like a herd of turtles we headed a new direction at the convenient-next-to-us exit ramp.

We made good time to the Oklahoma border where it was still ‘sort of’ cool and a bit cloudy. As we were leaving Arlington, we had maybe 37 drops of rain between the four of us, and radar showed light showers passing so we weren’t too concerned.

Up through Oklahoma we went, through the Arbuckle Mountains and the Turner Lake area. With this much ‘helmet time’, I recalled fondly how my Dad would talk of going to the Arbuckles as a child when he lived in Oklahoma City. I thought to myself, “this is what Oklahomans come to for vacation”?

Along the way we ran by the Oklahoma Horseshoe and Ferrier School where I believe our own KamLeeR attended school? I could be wrong on that, but she did cross my mind when I saw the place as I know she is a ferrier. The clouds finally started to break and the humidity was dropping which was welcome in the mesh gear. Up through Oklahoma City we went (we’re headed straight up I35 a HUGE part of this trip) and finally stopped in Perry OK for fuel and food.

Bill pointed out the Braum’s just down the street from the gas stop and I’d never eaten there before so off we headed. Turns out they are a pretty good burger, but they are also a locally sourced ice cream manufacturer and raise their own cattle for the beef side of the business. They are also a convenience type store like a local 7-11 but on a little bigger scale. Didn't know that.....

Vince, Frank and Bill
i-fPP8t5D-XL.jpg

i-QJ7Q43r-XL.jpg

Apparently they have to use animals as signs to get people to look at their business to get them to come in. Here’s a big horse out front of the gas station with a monster horsefly sucking the plastic resin out of it's neck.
i-m5nVsPT-XL.jpg

We crossed through OK and on into Kansas with a high and heavy cloud deck which translated to NO SUN! Yay us. Temps were lower as a result and yeah, I’ll admit in the mesh gear and shorts I turned on the heated grips to low just to keep the hands toasty. We ran about 80 miles on the 135 toll road for a whopping $2 which we all thought was a deal. I also have to admit the toll booth lady was most pleasant chatting me up about where we were from and where we were headed. She was all smiles while wishing me safe travels….

Up through Wichita we ran and another fuel stop and it was 230 miles to Minden NE our target for the evening. Along the way we ducked on 24 West and ran through the metropolis of Cawker City where I spotted a pretty cool ‘attraction’ I just had to stop and turn around for. I told Bill from the beginning – “If you see something cool and you want a picture, stop and take it or I will. Just slow down or wait if there’s a turn and I’ll catch up”. That was the deal. Well, running Tail-End-Charlie, I stopped and they kept going…..:doh:

Downtown Cawker City, KS……
i-TFcgqXC-XL.jpg

…..which happens to be the home of the largest ball of sisal twine!
i-vfjp2Vz-XL.jpg

As I’m taking a few shots, Vince who was riding ahead of me must have gotten the memo and passed the word along that I wasn’t back there anymore, so here they come. We all chuckled, all was good and a few more pics were taken by us all, then it was time to keep going.

Continuing on, we ran through Lebanon KS where a sign said “Geographic Center of the Continental United States – 4 miles”. Hmmmm. That didn’t take much thought to figure out where we were headed next. And it was only a mile off the highway. So we made the stop and took a few pics. Having been to all 48 of the “Lower 48” on my motorcycles, this was a cool opportunity for me.

The geographic center of the “Lower 48” states
i-D4kDjnk-XL.jpg

...and "X" marks the spot here:
i-NdkCzH3-XL.jpg

Leaving Lebanon, the scenery was pretty farmland with miles of corn and crops. We crossed over a double set of railroad tracks as we pulled into Minden, NE and saw our destination for the night – Pioneer Village. This was based on a recommendation of Frank’s friend (from over 30 years ago!) And in all honesty, it looked nothing like the updated website pictures.

i-ZQ3rM6F-XL.jpg

i-PLx4Xzz-XL.jpg

Yet the place was nice and quiet, not a lot of campers/trailers there, and nice places to pitch the tents in wonderful lush grass. As we were setting up camp, a guy walks over from his homebuilt travel trailer and chats us up. Turns out he’s been a rider for many decades and has a Cushman scooter still that was his fathers, but he doesn’t ride anymore due to a shattered hip. Never did hear how he shattered it though….

We went about setting up camp and as I’m just about all moved in, I found another single long blond strand of hair and was a bit sad yet smiled at the same time. It’s no secret Gina (SpiritAtBay on TWT) and I dated seriously for a year and a half, and spent a lot of time in that tent together stomping around New Mexico as well as a ton of great TWT camping pie runs, GhostRanch campouts, general camping, and Meet&Greet campouts together. We had a lot of fun in that old tent. Yet like the seasons come and go, so did her heart and desires. Without much fan-fare and a smile on my face, I let the wind take it away while wishing her safe passages wherever life’s journey takes her next.
i-7rkJg4k-XL.jpg

With camp setup now - and like most guys - food was the next order of business. We had heard of this place called Runzas which was a local favorite place within walking distance. So out the back lot we went and walked over for dinner. The sun was making it’s final departure which sure looked pretty from where we were…..
i-jCj9CCX-XL.jpg

We “thought” we were getting some sort of empanada thing, but in the end it was more like a closed up pocket hot sandwich. It wasn’t deep fried, but the fixings seemed to have been baked inside a bread. I opted for the mushroom/beef and swiss
i-4tVb3Q3-XL.jpg

As we were walking out, the 77*F temperature was kind of nice with very low humidity. Oh, and it was Saturday night in Minden so the pick-up trucks were out in full force with their dates for the night.
i-jZrBg4z-XL.jpg

Outside, we all had a chuckle on this sign in the window. We “think” it was a joke, but honestly none of really could figure out the ‘joke’.
i-bxZVSD4-XL.jpg

We made the short walk back to camp and our ‘neighbor’ with the homebuilt came over again and we made short talk for a bit. He was really impressed with the technology in all our bikes. That was evident. Having had a reasonably long day to get this far, we decided to call it a night. I’m not sure we made 9:30pm on this one before we turned in for the night. And this is what we went to bed with – a wonderful rising moon between the trees.
i-s5nbh4F-XL.jpg

And then the unthinkable happened according to my travel companions. Noise. As in LOTS of noise. As in ALL night long. I will admit to hearing the pick-up truck with the really loud exhaust pipes and that’s it. But apparently most of the night trains kept traversing the city on those double tracks we crossed coming into town. And according to the others, there were multiple instances of trains going both directions at the same time just blaring on the horns. Can’t say I remember the trains. Lucky me…. I slept fairly well for once. ;-)

Tomorrow hopefully brings us to South Dakota and Custer State Park

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Oh man! This is a great recounting!!

Also, the guy in the home-built trailer shattered his hip by being hit by a train...

Oh man! This is a great recounting!!

Also, the guy in the home-built trailer shattered his hip by being hit by a train...

Thanks, Frank for the kind words and filling in that little detail....

Riding with you, Bill and Vince was a pleasure. Stay tuned as more will follow best I can remember! And there's a ton-o-pics coming too :photo:

08/30/2015 - Sunday
To: Custer State Park, SD
Miles: 487

Man, these cohorts of mine sure do get up early…. LOL. Like 0600hrs, Frank has his jet-boil going and coffee on the way.

i-Cmfzx89-XL.jpg

Apparently I was the only one who slept reasonably well last night due to the train traffic. According to them, the noise sounded like the trains were about to collide next to the tents. All I remember was a loud pickup truck. And it was 0645 by the time I was up and moving.

If you noticed from yesterdays pic, last night when I put up my aging tent I skipped the rain fly. Not a bad call as it’s a four-season tent and there was little humidity when we turned in. Yet the fog was so heavy in the morning, all our tents/gear was SOAKED. As in dripping wet. There was no way it was going to dry out by the time we packed and hit the road, so wet gear was packed as we knocked down for the morning ready to get to our destination – Custer State Park in South Dakota!

Yeah, it was FOGGY this morning
i-wNkCNXR-XL.jpg

With dew/moisture everywhere
i-C6QH4qX-XL.jpg

Bill’s typical morning smile
i-FF2XR2P-XL.jpg

As well as Vince’s while packing for our next daily adventure
i-SgP4qLm-XL.jpg

We headed out of Minden about 8:15 with yet again another little chat with the guy and his home built trailer…. He really was a nice guy. Heading towards Kearney NE we encountered one of the “one way stop lights” where a construction zone was. This is where I practiced my ‘fast draw’ to get the big DSLR out of the tank bag, lens cap off, turn it on, check settings, frame/fire, lens cap back on, turn it off and stow it before we moved again. I repeated this process many times during the trip. Here’s the shot at the little construction stop as we approached Kearney. Zero wind was going to be nice for a bit and this caught my eye as a typical little bit of Americana.
i-5k23sP3-XL.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at a Perkins. I ‘think’ I had been to one in the past and it was pretty good. We were all amazed at the amount of people coming in for a Sunday morning breakfast, as well as how much ‘inventory’ in farm equipment there was at the local dealerships surrounding this place. And we never did figure out if this gal in a booth was an older gentleman’s daughter or wife. :ponder: As we were leaving, several patrons asked us where we were from and where we were headed. That’s always kind of fun for us and they all seemed amazed we were doing this on motorcycles.

We hopped on I80 just to blast more miles to the West. It was windy for sure and our biggest ‘event’ was we were almost all killed in one felled swoop. Really. We were approaching an 18 wheeler who was in the right lane and we moved left to pass just about the same time said 18 wheeler drifted about three feet to the right over the white line and into the right shoulder. No biggie, right? Then he swerved back barely missing THE PARKED CAR IN THE SHOULDER LANE. It would have been VERY ugly for ALL of us. We were that close.

Along the interstate there was also a lot of construction areas which narrowed down to single lane travel. About every 40’ or so was a tall thin orange pylon. I sooooo wanted to weave in between them but the 75mph was a tad bit too fast for my comfort level to give it a try. Had we been down around 60, I probably would have been zig-zagging for miles. Yeah, it looked like fun. Well – except for the occasional one that was knocked down or the wide trench across the lane. But for the most part I think we all gave it a little thought at one point or another.

We did pass an interesting truck that had about four large cylinders on the flatbed and they were marked “Uranium Hydroxide” or something like that. We all figured nuclear waste of some type. I wish I could have remembered the name more specifically and looked it up when we got somewhere.

Just eating miles somewhere in Nebraska…
i-GctnC37-XL.jpg

And not a lot to look at either….
i-g7TLqp9-XL.jpg

We stopped in Alliance NE (26 then 385 off I80) where a HUGE train yard/depot was located. I ‘think’ Bobby Daharinger had done a trip somewhere around here with the BNSF railroad cars in the shots?????

Just outside of Alliance was a HUGE rock formation off to our left maybe 30 miles out. Turns out that was called “Courthouse Rock and Jailhouse Rock” according to the locals at the Arby’s where we stopped for lunch. The temp was 95*F and climbing, so we kind of guessed right on the mesh gear so far.

The locals said we needed to stop at “Carhenge” so we had some discussion among the four of us as to whether or not we’d make the detour. Heck, it was only like seven miles or something silly, so we agreed to swing by for the heck of it. I’ve been to the old Stonehenge in Ingram (which has been moved) and I’ve seen the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo so in my mind this was a cross between the two.

Well, we MUST be here since the sign says so…
i-wzXVQ2R-XL.jpg

We found the location just as the locals said (and signs) with Frank, Bill and Vince all opting for shade while I parked front and center in the sun.
i-LBd7bCq-XL.jpg

I think we all guessed about what it was and were not very impressed. But we CAN say we’ve been there – done that now. Lol
i-s37mgND-XL.jpg

So with a few pics, we were off again headed to Custer State Park. About a mile from Carhenge we passed a “Rest Stop” that I was dying to stop and take a shot of. It was stupid from the get-go, but it was kind of funny. Imagine a platform with a plywood background with spray painting “Rest Stop”, and on the deck an old toilet, couch and the letters WI-FI also painted. Yeah, it was stupid, but funny at the same time.

The flat plains started to give way to a bit more hilly, rocky and craggy environment, but there was plenty of evidence of farming and cattle still going on.
i-42q8B93-XL.jpg

By now the temps were approaching Texas hot. We were getting a bit miserable headed into Hot Springs so we stopped for a water break which was actually a water dousing break and an opportunity to look at the maps, and a few of the sunflowers which seemed to be everywhere.
i-74mCFkC-XL.jpg

i-NQcnDCB-XL.jpg

Continuing North on 385, it became evident it was again stupid hot. But we did make the South Dakota state line so we knew we weren’t too far away from calling it quits for the day
i-WjK4fT5-XL.jpg

We got a bit sidetracked between the older GPS of Bill’s and the newer iPhone maps of Franks phone. But even then, Bill had a smile under that helmet
i-fxGXQBp-XL.jpg

And we found the perfect “fixer-upper” in some little non-descript village that dried up long ago
i-whg3mZj-XL.jpg

And as we pulled into Hot Springs SD, our internal temperature gauges all were confirmed by the 100*F readings we saw on the banks and motorcycle airbox temps. So we found what little shade we could there, guzzled Gatorades like there was no tomorrow and soaked our heads with cold water.

Welcome to Hot Springs SD (yeah, it’s hot here)
i-pLHnbKv-XL.jpg

By now, we’ve noticed some heavy clouds are building…. Hmmmm But we did make the park which was our objective today
i-tZ7tmNV-XL.jpg

And inside the park, the clouds were building and the terrain changed
i-LbfGtJJ-XL.jpg

i-rq7DfHD-XL.jpg

So we make it to the park and as we are parked at the entrance trying to figure out how to pay to get in/where we’re going to actually try to camp for the night, a huge bolt of lightning comes out of nowhere. Yep – it’s time to motivate and just get into the park and figure it out when we get inside. So we head into the park and come to the Blue Bell camp area. We rode around looking at the various sites and most were for RV’s with only a few marked at “tent camping”. By now, little drops of rain had started and the lightning picked up. A quick check of radar showed we were about to get hammered. I’m guessing someone upstairs was looking down on us at the time as a little golf cart came up with the camp masters.

Camp Masters: “Can we help you”? they politely asked
Us: “uh – we need a place for the night, four tents or a cabin if there are any”
Camp Masters: “We have tent sites AND cabins available”
Us: “How much for a cabin”?
Camp Masters: “$52/night”
Us: “We’ll take the cabin thank-you-very-much”
Camp Masters: “Great, cash only – pay us now or later, showers are down the hill”

So with the impending rain, we were given the keys to the little cabin and got our bikes and gear unpacked before a very light rain began.

So here’s what we got for our $52 for the night
i-7nc6Vqc-XL.jpg

i-xMnvfZW-XL.jpg

The little cabin had three beds and there were four dudes. The bottom of one bunk bed was larger, but we decided pretty quickly that wasn’t going to work. So I offered up to take the floor since I was pretty tired and most of the time can crawl under just about anything and sleep. The others were agreeable to that offering. So this was “my” spot for the night and indeed, was a wonderful little cozy place for the night.
i-g7MZmvS-XL.jpg

We decided to ride over to the Dining Hall at Blue Bell and were impressed with the facility and menu offering.
i-ntNVwWx-XL.jpg

Between the four of us I think we all tried something different. I know I opted for the buffalo meatloaf/mushrooms and brown gravy over mashers. The others ordered items which looked equally as tantalizing.
i-4FcfDKp-XL.jpg

And our waitperson - Jamie - was wonderful. Turns out we'd run into her several times throughout the trip and she was always delightful in both service and providing interesting information/places to visit.

So after dinner, we rode back in a light drizzle and found the showers down the hill about 100 yards from where the Camp Masters pointed. These have to be some of the finest shower/bathroom facilities I’ve ever experienced in a public park. We all agreed they were simply awesome.

After showers and getting cleaned up, I believe sleep came pretty quickly for all of us. It did for me at least.

Tomorrow brings us to the Badlands National Park, so stay tuned…. There's some pretty cool shots for tomorrow! :photo:

Last edited:
Awesome stuff Scott. Doesn't matter if you are riding in the mountains, shotgun in a truck or across the hot flat stuff, still good stuff.

And thanks to that picture, I can add Bill to the list of folks who seem to be supporting the company that manufactures and sells those horrible Crocs. :D

And thanks to that picture, I can add Bill to the list of folks who seem to be supporting the company that manufactures and sells those horrible Crocs. :D

Hey now... don't knock them until you try them.;-) I honestly believe that they are the best camp/shower shoes I've ever had. The only reason I have the UT orange ones were that they were on sale after some big game loss, so I picked them up for something like $10. No way would I pay full price for some foam shoe things.

08/31/2015 - Monday
To: Badlands National Park, SD
Miles: 164

Boy did we cram a lot of stuff into this day!

I slept fairly well on the floor as I had my Thermorest under the sleeping bag. As usual, the others got up earlier at 0600hrs than I did – again - and I was aware of them moving, but not really awake at the time. So when it was my turn to finally roll out of the rack a little inside joke was sort of on me. Turns out I slept with the plastic jacket cover on my zebra print camp pillow, and in spite of it making a little ‘crinkle’ noise as I moved during the night, there were far more serious implications the next morning. The ink bled from the writing/print of the plastic jacket to the side of my face and as Frank so eloquently said – “you woke up looking like you had a Mike Tyson tat on the side of your face”. Yep…. I had this very strange set of swirls on my cheek and ear. Well, a quick run down to those wonderful showers and a scrubbing took care of that little start to the morning. :-) Lesson learned – don’t sleep with the plastic jacket cover on the pillow in the future. Oh, and the adage “no pics – never happened” holds true on this one.

While on the way down to the showers I thought it was going to be chilly at minimum after the storm blew through last night. Turns out, we had a beautifully warm morning already. Ugh. Oh well – it is what it is.

We headed over to the Blue Bell dining area again for breakfast. Not 400m from the cabin where the horse stables are located we saw a guy in high-waders with three or four what looked to be fresh rainbow trout on a stringer. He was going to have a grand breakfast. Then, not another 400m from that spot were a half-dozen wild turkeys just eating on the side of the park road very near the Blue Bell.

i-VZhwFB8-XL.jpg

(crappy iPhone pic – sorry)

The Blue Bell Dining lodge
i-Q5psLGr-XL.jpg

i-R4mtQ9Z-XL.jpg

At the Blue Bell, there was a little church created for services and weddings/events. Nestled in the trees, I thought this was a pretty neat setup they had as well as the capability to seat many people for food/beverage in the Dining lodge next door
i-KxTzdQN-XL.jpg

There, the food items were wonderful as was the conversation right up until “Lisa” I think was her name came over and chatted us up. The night before, when we were scouting camp sites before the impending rain we saw a blue Subaru with a little pull-behind travel trailer, IL plates, and only a lady at the camp site setting up. Didn’t really think much of it other than we noticed her. So we’re eating breakfast and she comes over to our table and just starts talking. And talking. And talking. Like she REALLY chatted us up. In a way the whole thing was a bit weird. Here’s this lady talking about “us travelling” and we finally figured out it was just her and some cats who ride in the camper. The whole thing was just weird. Really weird, like stoned at 0730am on a Monday morning if that’s possible?

Anyway, we talked about our plans for the day (sans Lisa) packed the bikes, said our good-byes to the little cabin and then out of the park with our bellies more than full. We decided on The Badlands as according to the weather, today/tonight was supposed to be the ‘coolest’ day/night of the week.

On the way out of Custer SP we stopped by “The Hole In The Wall”. Well, that’s just about what it was – a hole in the side of a rock face with a little bridge and some water.

i-rPqnrMN-XL.jpg

Frank reflecting on some deep thought of some variety….
i-6xSdpRM-XL.jpg

…or just looking at the little babbling brook below him
i-DTpxbxH-XL.jpg

As we were approaching The Needles area of the park (aka: Needles Highway) we went through several of these tunnels in the side of the mountains
i-KQCLdW3-XL.jpg

And finally got to the Needles themselves. A wonderfully scenic area of the park even with the overcast cloudy morning on top of us
i-b7q3NzF-XL.jpg

As we made our way through the park, we approached another tunnel. Yet this one was backed up with a fair amount of traffic and we couldn’t figure out why until we rounded the bend and took a peek. Seems some mountain goat family decided to munch the lichens on the inside of the tunnel thus blocking traffic!
i-MCs7NQM-XL.jpg

But “Frank the Goat Herder” decided after about 15 minutes it was time to get this show on the road and showed them the way out thus freeing up the tunnel for passage.
i-GsvH9MX-XL.jpg

i-TtCFLD2-XL.jpg

…and just like planned (or lucky as all get-up) the goats departed the tunnel
i-RXdg658-XL.jpg

…and headed for the side of the hill
i-nZ7sctw-XL.jpg

Along the way we saw plenty of deer, Antelope, Buffalo as well….

We hopped on the interstate to make some miles, got some fuel and noticed it was only 68*F at the time. Yeah, the cooler weather forecast was right this time and I'll admit to turning on my heated grips to low for this run. Funny side story in that Bill, Vince and Frank all had communication devices on their helmets. I did not. So when it came time to ‘pair’ them, here’s Frank and Vince in a parking lot in Rapid City SD all playing “Rock/Paper/Scissors” shaking their comm-devices in unison at one another. Wish I got a pic of it, but it was pretty funny to watch.

A quick 90min later we found ourselves at Wall Drug and stomped around there a bit soaking up the tourist stuff as well as learning a bit of history and having lunch. We all concluded one or two conglomerates must own the entire facility as it was the same merchandise in every store. I mean EVERY store.
i-SqXgQvs-XL.jpg

Here’s a picture of a picture of what the original Wall Drug looked like:
i-VZ3w4kz-XL.jpg

And here is the actual same store front as of today
i-tFvLKLZ-XL.jpg

They even had real “soda jerks” behind the counter
i-6WdB4nk-XL.jpg

And yes – it’s just another “tourist trap” in the grand scheme of things with little exhibits everywhere. This one was for the mining aspects of the area
i-QJMGmkt-XL.jpg

…and this one for the kids and Jurassic Park with the subtle advertising sign?
i-XWvPTgv-XL.jpg

Frank took a dare from Bill to ‘run the gauntlet’ of the spouting water streams. Frank one that round
i-j9cm4BB-XL.jpg

About the closest I’ve been able to get to a Buffalo so far this trip….. Yeah, it’s stuffed but you get the point.
i-Ld9m9vM-XL.jpg

Time was getting kind of late by now and we wanted to have daylight to possibly explore The Badlands park upon arrival. So we headed out and right away encountered yet another construction zone
i-6f7HPjZ-XL.jpg

But it was short lived, and just down the road was the park.
i-kRsmZWF-XL.jpg

Bill
i-8D6hXcs-XL.jpg

Frank
i-88TXg5Z-XL.jpg

Vince
i-F4mvx97-XL.jpg

Me
i-59WQkhp-XL.jpg

We still had our cloud cover, but it was thinning and beginning to warm up…..

Just inside the park entrance was a viewing area called The Pinnacles. We stayed there a bit, shot a few pics and then Bill and Frank opted to run down a gravel road to the end of a rim just to see what it looked like from that vantage point. Vince and I hung back, chatted and took pictures where we were. It was quite spectacular…
i-K2bgCX4-XL.jpg

i-mr3NX3b-XL.jpg

i-t3V6PFw-XL.jpg

When Bill and Frank got back, we geared up and wandered through the park seeing quite a bit of wildlife. I stopped a few times to shoot some pics and as usual was left behind.

i-kRFSCVV-XL.jpg

i-BMjfh54-XL.jpg

But again, I figured they’d slow down or stop at any turn they would make. Thank God for cell service in the park! I took off and never did catch them but found the campground. A quick run through that and I didn’t see them, but a few hundred yards up was the Dining/Visitor area. I texted Bill and that’s where they were, so we headed back to the camping area spoke with the Camp Master and he said just go grab a site we liked for $21 for the night and he’d come by to square up later. So off we went in search of a great little site for all four of us.

Not a bad view of the hills from my tent if I do say myself….
i-4kssD6P-XL.jpg

Once we were setup, we headed back to the Dining area for a monster dinner of Indian flatbread with mounds of what could only be described as Quesadilla fixings on top (bean, meat, tomato etc). All four of us had the same thing and I think only Frank ate the whole thing. There was wayyyy too much food for a single person.

While we were waiting on dinner to arrive, the most beautiful sunset was going on, so I just had to duck out and grab a few shots….

Before the “show” started
i-xNZFNrc-XL.jpg

i-DR8w8Tb-XL.jpg

i-ZMfgRsP-XL.jpg

i-zsX3Skq-XL.jpg

i-XfKKT7w-XL.jpg

Once it was dark and we were done with dinner, we made the short ride (maybe 1/2mi) back to camp where we called it an early night again. But not after Bill and I tried some less than stellar night shots. The clouds had just rolled in so there really wasn’t much opportunity to get good sky shots. But we did try a few interior lit tent shots and again, not great results this time.
i-tFqpRZ2-XL.jpg

Sleep came early for us all after that…..

Tomorrow brings us The Minuteman / Cold War history, Sturgis, Full Throttle Saloon (which as of this morning 9/9/2015) burned to the ground, and Deadwood along with some beautiful scenery…..

Last edited:
09/01/2015 - Tuesday
To: Deadwood, SD
Miles: 153

Today was a low mileage day for us. Turns out, once you’re in Custer or The Badlands nothing of importance is really ‘that’ far away….

We woke up to a crisp 67*F and the tents were covered in the morning dew. Looks like another ‘pack up the gear wet and set it up wet tonight’ kind of day for us. It was about this time in the trip I noticed a little bit of tackiness on the rain fly of my tent and little bits of plastic lining sluffing off the inside. Hmmmm…. It IS fourteen years old now.

This is what we woke up to this morning
i-tq7bqWh-XL.jpg

So like the other mornings where the dew was heavy we just hung the rain fly’s in the low sun to hopefully get some moisture to evaporate
i-KhMSNTX-XL.jpg

And then each morning, time comes to just head out……
i-Wcdd9n4-XL.jpg

Hmmmm, which way do we go? This is the view departing the campsite
i-JTvrR5g-XL.jpg

Passing some of the rock formations again under crisp blue skies…
i-LjLHHpD-XL.jpg

…and looking back at the park we just left
i-FbMH2zG-XL.jpg

Just a few short miles up the road we stopped for fuel and some ‘fun’… We’ve been joking about the certain ‘traits’ or stereotypes of certain motorbike manufacturers all along and today was no different. We ran into another BMW rider with an absolutely immaculate F800GS while fueling. Let’s just leave it at that.

Fuel just North of the Badlands park on the Interstate
i-RLZKk38-XL.jpg

And a little-bit-o-fun while there. ATGATT – even when riding kiddie amusement rides folks.
i-hB7BP86-XL.jpg

So just across the Interstate was the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site which we just HAD to stop in and take a peek.
i-6zfKKRD-XL.jpg

i-M3H8Sgm-XL.jpg

The facility was brand new and still somewhat under construction, thus the exhibits inside were simply blueprints/copies of what was going to be inside. We poked around a bit reading about the history of the Minuteman Missile program and South Dakota, then watched a short film. Turns out, South Dakota had 150 silos for the Minuteman 1, 149 of which were imploded/destroyed/decommissioned by unilateral nuclear treaty with Russia. We kept one and they kept one. Both are decommissioned and have inspection cover plates which can be physically viewed to see the contents. Pretty neat just in the museum part what we learned there. In all, there’s about 1000 silos around the country, many in surrounding states. Most are within 30min of a major airbase for security, and the Command Control centers which actually launch the missiles are within five to twelve miles of the actual missile under their control.

This sort of gives you an idea of the locations of D9, a complete Minuteman 1 operation with command center and silo.
i-PDsSx2j-XL.jpg

So we have the museum/visitors center, a command control station and a missile silo to visit. Well, not so fast. Turns out a day or two earlier the command control station had a water pipe break and there was a bit of a flooding problem so that part was closed to the public for viewing. Oh well, we can at least get to the D9 missile silo and see/learn about it, right? Yep. So off we went down the interstate about 15 miles, then a half-mile of gravel to get to the silo site.
i-QzgL8WN-XL.jpg

i-WsfPmj2-XL.jpg

The missiles are launched from a command control center miles away, so no people actually stay at the silo site. This covering houses the infrastructure to release the missile. Included underground are diesel engines to generate power for communications as well as operate the giant gas pistons required to get the blast door on top to open in addition to other support functions.
i-pFzxST4-XL.jpg

This is the entry door to gain access to the missile silo itself. Coming in at FIVE TONS in weight, the process to open the door takes in excess of one hour. (more on that later)
i-3FTFBfw-XL.jpg

This is a glass cover OVER the missile silo itself. It’s strictly for visitor observation of the decommissioned Minuteman 1 missile inside. You’ll also note the large white column. That’s a sensitive ground movement piece of equipment that can discern the difference between crickets, rabbits or people walking. It’s the security of the facility. If you recall earlier, these silos are within 30min of a major USAF installation. The five ton entry door above takes a minimum of an hour to gain access and the sensors can pickup movement and the airbase can have a bird in the sky overhead in way less than the hour it takes to get through the entry door. As the park ranger said “they’ll shoot first then ask questions”.
i-2nwPv2q-XL.jpg

So we have the command center five to twelve miles away that houses people who may receive a ‘warble’ tone. They confirm the tone, open a box with a set of keys which are inserted into their respective control boxes. The boxes are twelve feet apart so it’s impossible for a single person to turn both keys at the same time. But how do they communicate with the silo itself? Through a cable just like this. (iPhone for scale)
i-cWCn2Pw-XL.jpg

Buried not too terribly deep is this approximately 3” diameter rubber encapsulated copper lined bundle that has all the wires necessary to launch and communicate with the silo. There’s a thick exterior in rubber that’s copper jacketed, then a series of internal insulated wires in that bundle.

But what if the line gets cut or destroyed? Well, this little radar-dome thing can receive electronic signals from an aircraft above in close proximity and launch the missile from the sky
i-kDJ3fsX-XL.jpg

So what is a Minuteman 1 missile? Here’s a decommissioned one viewed from the looking glass on top of the silo
i-TLCXwkN-XL.jpg

How long does it take from when the warble tone is heard to when the missile can actually be in the air? FIVE MINUTES

How is the missile protected when in the silo other than the ground sensing radar and close proximity to an Air Force installation? There’s a 90 ton door on top of the silo which brings up an interesting design question. If the little five ton entry door takes an hour to open, how in the heck does a 90 ton door get opened inside of five minutes? Pretty simple actually –

Using a gas piston driver assembly, that 90 ton door is literally launched off rails in THREE SECONDS. It doesn’t move slowly back on the rails – it gets launched to the back, out of the way, through the fence and into the field behind the silo!
i-zd52Sht-XL.jpg

Here’s what it looks like from the rail side if it were coming at you. Take into account NONE of that glass/alum structure would be in place. That’s all for us tourists to see the bird in the silo. And if the profile looks like the blade of snowplow, that's by design. When the door blasts off the rails it has to be able to traverse through possibly FEET of snow pack.
i-fsnkrMz-XL.jpg

The entire facility sits on maybe an acre at most. The landowners are purported to be quite patriotic and as part of the agreement for the USAF to use their land, a fence was erected around each structure. When the facilities were decommissioned, the silos were imploded and the landowner was forbidden from digging down more than two feet. They were also offered the opportunity to keep the fence if they wanted. Lol….. So its pretty easy to see exactly where decommissioned silos are while riding around if you know what to look for. Just find a one acre barbed wire high fence about 1/4mi off the road in the middle of nowhere and most probably has a lot of excess farm implement gear inside that fence and you’ve got yourself a sighting.

Mentioned earlier was the copper cable which ran from the command control station to the silo. Apparently the cable was buried less than two feet below the ground as many ranchers were digging up the cable and selling it for the scrap copper value to the tune of about $10,000 per mile. So either the cable was above two feet in depth or the practice stopped when the government prohibited excavation below that two foot depth.

A VERY interesting visit indeed…..

After the D9 missile silo visit, we blasted back down the interstate to Rapid City for an early lunch. From there, we had an easy 30mi ride over to Sturgis.
i-Gwc34GQ-XL.jpg

This year was the 75th Anniversary of the rally and now three weeks since it was over, the little town of Sturgis was basically dead. The significant majority of shops/storefronts were “CLOSED” or “FOR LEASE” with only a few remaining open and those were for the locals or one or two ‘tourist’ trap kind of places selling t-shirts, apparel and chaps.

We walked the town a short bit, spoke with a local and tried in vain to find Frank a pair of chaps. Not just any pair, but ones with special little conchos, tassles and pink and turquoise flowers. This all started out as a fun joke, but I think it got a bit out of hand and had we actually found a pair that fit the bill and fit Frank I think he would have purchased them. LOL…..
i-trLCspJ-XL.jpg

I had been to Sturgis in full swing for the 2001 version and spent maybe 12 hours total in the area before leaving. Things hadn’t changed much over the years other than this is a sleepy little town when the rally is not taking place.
i-Fh5Z9Kg-XL.jpg

i-ZcWwGRf-XL.jpg

So having been defeated on the chaps part of the ride (what could be better than actually purchasing your chaps IN Sturgis) we decided to just mosey over to the Full Throttle Saloon to see what that was all about. We arrived a short time later and to be honest, I’ve only seen one episode of “Full Throttle Saloon” so I really didn’t know what to expect.
i-gKkVrTb-XL.jpg

We parked the bikes and walked inside just poking around. There were a few others there, but couldn’t have been more than 10 people at any given time. Of course there were the t-shirts for sale, Sloonshine (they have their own distillery) beer and the big concert venue out back. Here’s some random pics in no particular order

The Thunderdome/Wall of death
i-zbTZg7L-XL.jpg

The artwork/statue out front
i-tkBgx8G-XL.jpg

Some random “artwork”
i-NXKZN5R-XL.jpg

The concert/band venue area
i-drNVj5r-XL.jpg

i-NQLw5CR-XL.jpg

This time it’s Bill in deep thought
i-Pr5BPbS-XL.jpg

Some random bikes
i-nqTRtb4-XL.jpg

i-6nCTkK4-XL.jpg

Their housebrand “Sloonshine”
i-ND4DBBw-XL.jpg

i-bRP54Zj-XL.jpg

And “Kim”. Kim was an interesting person to talk with about the bar, the staff and what actually goes on during the 10-14 days of Sturgis. They hire 120 waitresses for that short period of time and receive THOUSANDS of applications. Shifts are split into mornings and evenings with the morning wait staff earning $500-800 a day and the evening wait staff $800-1200 or up a day. This is BIG BUSINESS if those are the sort of tips generated. She started out as a part-time employee then after a year earned her keep and is (was – more on that in a minute) full time now. She also told us the rally started in 1938 as an Indian MotoCycle event and grew from there. There were only two years the rally didn’t take place and that was during WWII. Very pleasant to talk with indeed.

Here’s Kim
i-VpCV99q-XL.jpg

Now, for the interesting part….. I learned this morning (09/08/2015) that the Full Throttle Saloon was totally destroyed by a fire early this morning. Not one week ago, we were in there poking around chatting up with one of the employees and enjoying a cold draft beer. Now it’s gone. Here’s a screen grab of what it looks like as of this morning. I hope “Kim” is able to find alternative employment now….
i-B9fwZfd-XL.jpg

(Image provided by 9news.com)

Source:
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/09/08/full-throttle-saloon-fire/71874128/#
STURGIS, S.D. — Flames early Tuesday morning engulfed a popular Sturgis saloon that bills itself as the "world's largest biker bar."
The call first came in at 12:17 a.m. Crews from six fire departments were on the scene just minutes later, but at that time, smoke was pouring out of all the windows. By 12:45 a.m., the fire was through the roof.
The only occupant on the grounds was able to escape without being injured.
The bar on South Dakota Highway 34 has been the subject of a reality television series. Its amenities include zip lines, musical stages and rental cabins.

So once we had pretty much ‘done’ FTS as it’s called, we headed towards Deadwood. Prior to leaving FTS I had mentioned I sort of liked the KOA campgrounds as they typically had nice showers, facilities and convenience stores. Well, Deadwood SD just happened to have one so that’s where we headed.

Yet before we could make it there we got stopped in a traffic jam. Turns out there was a shooting about to take place over a card game and the one shot would have the bullet bounce off his forehead thus not killing him. Well, a couple months later he did in fact die from a bone spur that developed. Or at least that’s how the story went. (again, more on these ‘stories’ later….)

What started out as a friendly game of cards
i-nCzQ3Nh-XL.jpg

…soon escalated into a shooting
i-fvHhZt6-XL.jpg

…with one guy getting hit in the forehead
i-Gdsc3g7-XL.jpg

Now – where’s my Starbucks so I can get on with this trip?

Once the show was over, we made it through town and found the KOA and inquired about a campsite for a couple nights. The chap was quite friendly behind the desk and I think there was a Texas connection in some way. I know his wife was from Deadwood. He gave us a good rate for a couple nights but when we got to the site it was a bit smallish for four bikes and four tents. So I rode back down and asked if we could have the larger site on the hill for the two nights and he said it was already booked. Bummer. Yet he did offer up two adjacent sites for the same money/same two days if we wanted to do that. He’s going to get a grand YELP report for that one. So I rode back up the hill and we setup camp for two comfortable nights
i-bHCT2K3-XL.jpg

i-WtxbNdB-XL.jpg

With camp setup by 3:15, we had plenty of time to just wander into town and see what there was for us. We hit the “76 Museum” first which was interesting but also somewhat of a disappointment. We thought it was going to be a great history of the town of Deadwood but it turned out to be more of a museum/history for the annual “76” celebration to recognize the 1876 gold rush which basically created Deadwood. The "76" annual celebration is on the same magnitude as Tombstone days and other very large historical gatherings.
i-7xDsdB5-XL.jpg

After the museum (it was now crowding 5pm) we wandered into ‘town’ to watch a group of native Americans putting on a show
i-T28WfqL-XL.jpg

And his son...
i-khFghKb-XL.jpg

When that was over, we made our way to the “#10 Saloon”. Now this is where fact from fiction begin to merge. According to the story, the #10 Saloon is where Wild Bill Hickok was shot in the back playing poker
i-nXR6jbt-XL.jpg

And this is supposedly the chair he was sitting in while facing the fireplace
i-CzrBQpt-XL.jpg

Where the fact vs fiction begin to come into play is the actual “real” #10 Saloon was a block down and across the street. And to top it off, there were at least two MAJOR fires in the Deadwood downtown district that leveled everything so the chair most probably burned up.
i-hctVHDD-XL.jpg

What we did learn was, the #10 Saloon as noted above that had the ‘chair’ was a re-creation of the bar where Hickock was shot and in fact, the actual bar WAS across the street and down a block. So we all came to the conclusion that the ‘barkers’ out front of each establishment were more interested in getting people INSIDE their bar than letting on to the actual history of the establishment. That set the stage for the rest of our experiences in Deadwood. We found many other little discrepancies like that during our stay when we really asked questions.

By now the sun was getting low and we were on the peckish side of hungry. We had decided that we would treat ourselves to a really nice dinner tonight so we were asking around. Several people (locals included) mentioned the Deadwood Social Club. So off in search of that we did and sure enough found it pretty quickly. Turns out it was an old brothel based on all the pictures and paintings on the walls.

The menu was extensive and the service superb. I wound up ordering the beef tips and Orzo, Bill had a seafood monster basket thing, Frank had the chicken Orzo and Vince ordered what looked like a wonderful steak.
i-7SwT7bS-XL.jpg

After our excellent meal, we just meandered around town looking for interesting things……
i-42gLnX7-XL.jpg

i-Xgf3jW3-XL.jpg

Downtown/Mainstreet Deadwood SD
i-xXZFbHK-XL.jpg

i-W8ktsFs-XL.jpg

By now we were definitely all getting the feeling that Deadwood was just a little tourist trap that had the look and feel of an old-tyme amusement or theme park. Kind of sad, but that’s what we all pretty much thought. When little towns like this rely on tourism and gambling, I suppose the business model has to change to adapt to support those objectives.

So after enough of the downtown attractions, we decided to run up to visit the gravestones of Wild Bill Hickock and Clamity Jane at Mt Moriah Cemetery The cemetery was easy to find, but the ticket office was closed. However, the walking gate was open and I spied a Donation Box figuring I’d drop a buck in on the way out.
i-JB5GMRV-XL.jpg

Without doubt, the place was peaceful
i-vSdpKqL-XL.jpg

After a short walk, finding their resting place didn’t take too long
i-bGSvTTc-XL.jpg

Bill Hickock is on the left (with a new marker) and Martha Jane Burke (Clamity Jane) on the right
i-X7nMC5t-XL.jpg

From there, we walked almost straight up 778’ to the marker for Seth Bullock. Seth was the ‘lawman’ of Deadwood although he didn’t start out as that…..
i-D9wNQNc-XL.jpg

And we came across the Franklin plot. The Franklins had the large hotel in town
i-zvHGCVR-XL.jpg

As we made our way to the top of the cemetery, I stopped at the flag which was still flying after dark.
i-LX3HmwS-XL.jpg

Turns out, Congress during WWI granted authorization to the town of Deadwood permission to fly the US flag day or night never having to come down. I did not know that.
i-RWV2xnH-XL.jpg

While up on the hill, I found a set of benches looking out over the town of Deadwood. Bill sat down next to me and we just sat there looking out over the town thinking about what life must have been like back in 1876 and forward. The rock and wood bench faced West, so the warmth of all day sunshine kept it warm for us with the temperature dropping. After several minutes of silence, we just got up and started the walk back down the hill. I reflected on the number of people in the cemetery, what their lives and deaths might have meant at the time or to others and just started to think about the cycle of life and where I fit it/what role I have on planet earth.

As we went by Hickocks marker once again, I noticed the date of death on this marker. 1876. Wow. One of the first most probably to be buried here
i-qBkHH22-XL.jpg

And a different view of Wild Bill and Clamity Jane’s resting place
i-6XDTXcP-XL.jpg

When Bill and I left the cemetery we dropped in a donation to help support the history and upkeep of Mt. Moriah. We made it to the bikes and turns out Frank left his key in the ignition. We made the quick trip down the hill to down and passed several large deer in peoples front yards right on the side of the road. Yep – they’re everywhere here too.

Making it back to camp in short order, the wonderful KOA showers awaited us all. And then sleep. Wonderful, glorious sleep.

Tomorrow will bring new adventures I’m sure….

Fantastic pictures, as always.

There are several former missile silos around Austin left over from the Cold War. One is situated on Bee Caves Road near the Texaco gas station. Several Atlas silos have been filled with fresh water and are used as diving caverns.

RB

That minuteman missile museum and area look very cool, like someplace I should visit after having done the Trinity site. :D Thanks for sharing.

Back