• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

LOTS OF FRUIT

Careful on the fruit, at least even all natural fruit juice may be almost as hazardous to your health as soda.

The link above is by:

Dr. Richard Johnson is the chief of the division of kidney disease and hypertension at the University of Colorado, and author of The Sugar Fix, one of the best books on the market on the dangers of fructose.

As one of the physicians on the cutting edge of sugar metabolism research today, his focus is on how the overabundance of sugar in the American diet -- particularly fructose -- is causing obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and a number of other health problems.

RB

Too much sugar can be bad, but it's important consider the difference between prepared fruit drinks like Hawaiian Punch and raw fruit. Based on the chart he provides an orange had only 40% of the sugar as a 8oz red Hawaiian Punch. It would take almost 3 1/2 cups of strawberries to get the same amount of sugar. In comparison, a cup of strawberries is about 50 calories and weighs not quite half a pound. A quarter pound of barbecue beef brisket is 335 calories, better than half of that fat. The big benefit of raw fruit and vegetables in general is that it's hard to eat too much of it.

I found this interesting nutrition information from Dickey's Barbecue. All the years I was a vegetarian, I didn't mind business lunches at barbecue joints because I could always get plenty of beans, coleslaw, potato salad, etc. What really caught my eye on this was the garden salad. 501 calories and 320 from fat. That is some salad dressing they are using!

I've lost 20 lbs over the last year. I've been working out.

I over did it and popped a vein in my left eye, so be careful.

In the end all of my "numbers" have gotten better and I've cut my meds in half. I suppose I should've done this before I retired.

Too much sugar can be bad, but it's important consider the difference between prepared fruit drinks like Hawaiian Punch and raw fruit. Based on the chart he provides an orange had only 40% of the sugar as a 8oz red Hawaiian Punch. It would take almost 3 1/2 cups of strawberries to get the same amount of sugar. In comparison, a cup of strawberries is about 50 calories and weighs not quite half a pound. A quarter pound of barbecue beef brisket is 335 calories, better than half of that fat. The big benefit of raw fruit and vegetables in general is that it's hard to eat too much of it.

I've also learned that there is a big difference between a glass of orange juice and eating an orange. An orange is less colonies, less sugar and more good fiber.

One of the things we food science types all basically agree on is, if you can eliminate or at least minimize your consumption of HFCS over 50% of the battle is won. About 25% of the battle is quantity consumed. And about 24% is water related. The 1% of the battle is being consistent about it.

If you're not a label reader you need to learn to read them. Read the ingredient statements. Read the nutritional panel. It takes longer in the store, but you never know what you might find that is cool/new/unique. When we shop it can take up to 2 hours in a store....part of that is healthy shopping and part of it is exploring the cool new things we find.

Since I started on this journey we have grown accustomed to diluting fruit juices to cut the sugar. And in reality even the 100% juice items are WAAAAAAY too sweet for me. I do not allow any liquid beverage in the house that contains HFCS. Costco sells a great 100% Cranberry Juice and a really really good Organic Lemonade w/Sugar. Dilute those 60-40 w/water-juice and it's just as good and a lot healthier.

As for fruit. I LOVE Granny Smith Apples. I have 2 per day. Lots of fiber and VERY filling. For dessert we keep grapes in the freezer. You've never had anything so good until you've had a frozen grape. I also freeze orange slices. There's lots of options for desserts over blue bell. :eat:

Make sure you look at salad dressings you purchase in the store. Most now have some sort of bullet on the label with the "per tsp" calorie count.

Sorry if I ramble and preach a bit, but this has turned into my passion and I love sharing it with folks.

Hey Bob!

So, I too am in this fight. I stay above 250 lbs pretty consistently. Seems like every time I get under that, something happens and I go back up the scale.

I bought a Fitbit charge2 at Christmas. You can track calories very easily. Since it has a heart rate tracker which is fairly accurate, you can also get pretty good numbers about how many calories you're burning.

I know you asked about sleep tracking.

So, you can set goals and a schedule, and those reminders help me to keep my schedule and get enough sleep. If you wear it at night, it'll show you how many times and for long you woke up, and if you're moving around at night, even for just a minute. This will be info for your doctor to decide if you need more sleep, or if you're getting quality sleep.

I know that if I sleep at consistent times, for 6-7 hours, I start losing weight easier. For a night owl like me, that's not easy to keep!

When you're ready for weights, I suggest something simple. The 5x5 is classic, effective, and easy. 3 exercises, 3 days a week. Maybe 45 minutes including warm up. I had a lot of success with that when I was younger and in the Army. I'm actually starting it up again next week.

So, good luck, and I wish you plenty of will power!

There is an art to buying Granny Smiths and not have them lose their tart taste or be mealy. I wish I could explain it to my wife. Thankfully I do most of the shopping.

As for labels, I lean on ADD. If I can get through a label without getting distracted, I'll consider the item. If the label drags on for half the can the product doesn't get considered.

Just broke down and bought a Polar A300. At Tuesday's workout my recovery time was not what it needed to be. Gotta be able to do the math.

Talking about calories per teaspoon, I by sugar in 25 pound bags to feed the weaker bee colonies in the winter. The brand has a note on the front "only 15 calories per teaspoon." Seems funny considering the size of the bag. :lol2:

Hopefully that's Imperial Sugar ? Gotta support a Texas brand which in turn allows me to keep motorcycling. ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I've also learned that there is a big difference between a glass of orange juice and eating an orange. An orange is less colonies, less sugar and more good fiber.

+1

Fruit juices, even all natural have a terrible Glycemic Index and load. When you consume the whole fruit (within reason to limit fructose), you can sometimes take the grams of fiber and net out the carbs from the actual fruit being consumed.

RB

Weighing In

When I went into the hospital (2/5), I was weighed at 284. The morning after release(2/9), my weight was 276.5

The last weight was first thing in the morning, dipping wet before I ate anything, while my hospital weigh in was mid afternoon after lunch. I'm sure that attributes to much of the difference plus I wasn't feed much at the hospital and they scared at least 5 lbs of crap out of me.

Now at about 1 1/2 weeks out of hospital my weight this morning 273.0

That is a loss of 3.5 pounds.

I have been walking at least 10,000 steps a day for the past 7 days

I have been religiously counting calories through MyFitnessPal for the past 7 days with a goal of 1700 calories per day. I have met that goal 4 of the last 7 so I still have work to do in that area.

Other stats

BP 128/74 (medicated)
Resting pulse rate: 60-70

My new fancy dancy scale is suppose to provide me with body % fat info, but I have yet to figure that out.

More improving stats to come.

Last edited:
Bob do you have a home BP instrument? I want to get one and wondering the best kind to get. Man you have great BP and pulse rate. I've had to take BP meds. for 20 years. I dropped 20 lbs. last year and running like 130/ 85. I know I can get it lower with meds, but have been off for three months kind of testing to see if it will stay low. The BP meds drag me out. I also 4 months ago quit all sort drinks and most sweets.
I need to drink more water, feel dehydrated some days.
Glad you are on the marathon journey to abundant life, we have to possess our earth suits with honor and sanctification to occupy and abide. Wish I had started earlier .
Good going Bob:clap:

Bob do you have a home BP instrument? I want to get one and wondering the best kind to get. Man you have great BP and pulse rate. I've had to take BP meds. for 20 years. I dropped 20 lbs. last year and running like 130/ 85. I know I can get it lower with meds, but have been off for three months kind of testing to see if it will stay low. The BP meds drag me out. I also 4 months ago quit all sort drinks and most sweets.
I need to drink more water, feel dehydrated some days.
Glad you are on the marathon journey to abundant life, we have to possess our earth suits with honor and sanctification to occupy and abide. Wish I had started earlier .
Good going Bob:clap:

I'm using one I got at HEB called "InControl". It seems to track close the official readings at the doctor's office. I currently take a blood pressure medication a goal (among many) is to get off this medication.

Considering the fact that I now take a blood thinner, I'm hesitant to change any medication without consulting my doctor.

I had a fancy dancy scale that measured body fat and hydration (i think). All I remember is that you had to be barefoot if you wanted the fancy dancy readings.

We shall take a multi thousand step walk at Fairfield park next weekend.

Weighing In

When I went into the hospital (2/5), I was weighed at 284. The morning after release(2/9), my weight was 276.5

The last weight was first thing in the morning, dipping wet before I ate anything, while my hospital weigh in was mid afternoon after lunch. I'm sure that attributes to much of the difference plus I wasn't feed much at the hospital and they scared at least 5 lbs of crap out of me.

Now at about 1 1/2 weeks out of hospital my weight this morning 273.0

That is a loss of 3.5 pounds.

I have been walking at least 10,000 steps a day for the past 7 days

I have been religiously counting calories through MyFitnessPal for the past 7 days with a goal of 1700 calories per day. I have met that goal 4 of the last 7 so I still have work to do in that area.

Other stats

BP 128/74 (medicated)
Resting pulse rate: 60-70

My new fancy dancy scale is suppose to provide me with body % fat info, but I have yet to figure that out.

More improving stats to come.

Bob
Congrats on the progress! That is awesome. Jay and I have some friends we have Friday night dinner/movie with every Friday. They have watched me make progress and been there when I failed. I shared your story with them and how you've been brave and opened up about your story and sought advice and support. You've got a few non-motorcycle folks in the Houston area figuratively supporting you in your trek.

Yes, things like you experienced can scare the crap out of you and in my case it was the best thing that could happen. It woke me up to what I had let myself become, a fat obese slob.

Make sure on your scale to sync it to Fitbit's app and to MyFitness Pal. That way you don't have to worry about tracking things on paper.

One huge key thing about weighing on these new fancy scales. Dry feet are critical, they do not like wet feet.

I weigh every Saturday morning right after my morning "routine" before eating breakfast and before the gym. I do not look at the numbers until I am awake, usually after the gym. My scale tracks everything I want and need including the %water in my body. Pretty cool.

Keep up the excellent work. You'll be skinny and svelte before you know it.

Make sure on your scale to sync it to Fitbit's app and to MyFitness Pal. That way you don't have to worry about tracking things on paper.

I can't even get the scale to send the data to its own app. I go through the instructions step-by-step but it won't sync. these new fangeled things are not old person friendly. I'll call support tomorrow and get it worked out.

I saw that a nearby gym had yoga lessons. So I thought it would be something I should try and was going this morning. Then my wife asked me if I could get up and down on the floor without assistance or something to hang on to. I tried that a few times and decided I need to put yoga off for a bit.

Better wait until I can get off the floor without flopping like a fat fish until someone helps me up. New exercise for me. Simply getting down and up from the floor without assistance. I had never thought of how hard that is. Boy have I got some work to do.

The Admiral has been doing PiYo - some pilates/yoga hybrid - for a few years now. I have to admit that she is in much better shape than in the past 20+ years we have been together.

Off to the gym for me while it's slow.

m

I saw that a nearby gym had yoga lessons. So I thought it would be something I should try and was going this morning. Then my wife asked me if I could get up and down on the floor without assistance or something to hang on to. I tried that a few times and decided I need to put yoga off for a bit.

Better wait until I can get off the floor without flopping like a fat fish until someone helps me up. New exercise for me. Simply getting down and up from the floor without assistance. I had never thought of how hard that is. Boy have I got some work to do.

Yoga is way hard. No way I could do it despite working out regularly for more than a year now.

alright, I'm climbing on board this train. Y'all inspired me, or shamed me, I'm not sure which. Going back on the 5:2 fast routine. Fasting tonight. Walked this morning for exercise for the first time in a long time.
be strong, eat healthy, moderation rules

What's a 5:2 routine? (Not sure I really want to know!)

And...

I assumed Hunter would be in the Ural that you are pushing.

5:2 is a form of intermittent fasting developed by Dr. Micheal Mosely. It's called the Fast Diet in the book BBC documentary. Essentially it called for two days where the total caloric intake is below 500 to 600 calories and the rest of the time the diet is open to pretty much anything. The two days need not be contiguous. It will strip the weight off of a person in no time and is really not as difficult as true alternate day fasting since you only need real will power two days per week. Cynthia and I used it a couple of years ago with good success.

Back