• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
I looked at the first two pages here and didn't see a like post so I'm starting one.

I'd like to get the AT guys/gals in one place so we can discuss mods and issues alike.

I installed the GIVI upper and lower crash bars last month and they look nice for sure. But after I installed them I can her my fairing rattle off them. Does anyone else think the fairing moves too much? I was thinking of mounting the GPS on the cross bar (that's what it's for), but with how much it moves you wouldn't be able to see anything.

So, what's your thoughts?

And welcome!

I'm in, and I added a signature link (Scout) to document my AT mods, etc.
If your thinking of mounting the GPS to the factory fairing/windscreen crossbar, I would caution you as there are several who have experienced broken welds due to added vibration.

I'm in, and I added a signature link (Scout) to document my AT mods, etc.
If your thinking of mounting the GPS to the factory fairing/windscreen crossbar, I would caution you as there are several who have experienced broken welds due to added vibration.

That's what I've read too. It'll be interesting to see the set up of others. I'm thinking I'll just do a ram mount on the handle bars the I did on the DR650 I had.

If the bolts holding the AT handlebars in place are spaced between 3 1/4 to 4" then I can offer a reliable solution.

So after 2000 miles, here are my thoughts on this bike.

First the bad, in order from worse to not so bad.

The worse thing about the bike for me is the gas tank. I really don't see anyone getting 200 miles on this bike. At least not if you are riding at hwy speeds. Right now I'm averaging 38 mpg in mixed driving. When I'm at lower speeds the computer will show anything from 40 to 70+ mpg. So maybe off road you’d get it, but who wants to chance that out in the hill country? The safe way around that is a rotopax gas tank.

The next thing would be the on/off throttle response. There is no happy medium here. This is a bad thing when riding in rush hour traffic and you’re tired of using the clutch all the time. On the DR650 I could idle and ease into the throttle. But this thing is harsh without using the clutch.

Third is the seat. The seat is at an angle, coming down from the tank and then upward toward the rear. The farther back you sit the more the angle. I’m kind of tall, 6,1. To have a little room I sit about 3 or 4 inches from the tank. After a few hrs I can feel my lower back hurt. Now that could also be because I’m out of shape and bigger than I was when I had the DR. So we’ll see how that goes. Hopefully someone like Seat Concepts will come out with a seat for it. I really liked the SC cover I had on the DR.

Last for me would be the controls on the handle bars. They seem too far apart. The headlight switch and the horn are almost an inch apart (guessing). I have to take the ball of my hand off the handle to get to the high beams.

The other issues were known and are things I think people tend to replace anyways. Things like the suspention. Hondas not going to build a bike for a 200lbs rider. So I knew it would be soft. The other thing is the foot pegs. I didn’t think they’d be that small, but still I knew I would end up replacing them anyways.

Over all, I’d give the bike a solid 9 out of 10 with 10 being the best.

I mean, it’s a 13000.00 bike. Could it be better? Sure, but then it would be in the BMW or KTM price and I don’t think they were shooting for that.

This bike to me was everything that Suzuki should have done to the DR650 to take it to the next level. I would have kept the DR if it had a 6th gear and double the power. I was fed up with getting passed by big trucks on the hwy. And the wind beat me up all the time. The AT is double the bike for double the price.

I haven’t rode a bike in a year and a half. It’s the only bike I’ve ever been on that when I first got on the bike after not riding for a while, I didn’t feel nervous. It felt like I had been riding all along. It’s just that comfortable.

It has plenty of power. On a test track I hit 120 mph easy. I can pass cars when needing to.

The absolute best thing about the bike for me, and already paid for the bike, is the traction control.

In 1995 I had my Honda slip out from under me one time when I took off and hit a pile of rubble on the road. It ended up braking the stater. I didn’t find out until I was about 20 miles from town. I basically did the same thing the other day, but add trying to get into traffic. The back end went to slide out and before I could even let off the gas the TC kicked in, the momentum of the bike set it up right and I was down the road. Had that been on the DR, I might have washed out and ended up being someone’s hood ornament. That alone made the 13k worth it!

So is this the best bike in the world? Heavens no. But is this a great bike for the price? 100% yes. And I’m guessing as time goes, there will be factory upgrades. There’s already talk and pictures of a CRF1000 rally bike. So the suspension issue should last too long.

Bryan

I'll add to it once I get better tires and get it off road.

I'm working with a local dealer on one and was checking out seat options. Russel has an offering, but it's $800! Sure would hate to pay that and not be happy with the outcome.

I'm working with a local dealer on one and was checking out seat options. Russel has an offering, but it's $800! Sure would hate to pay that and not be happy with the outcome.

I did 756 miles on the "low" stock seat Sunday. I think its fine. Also, wind protection excellent. I am 5' 8" or so and no buffeting on the helmet.

I did 756 miles on the "low" stock seat Sunday. I think its fine. Also, wind protection excellent. I am 5' 8" or so and no buffeting on the helmet.

What do you weigh?

I'm 6,1 245 lbs. Wind isn't bad, but in a head wind or behind a truck it can get uncomfortable. After an hr or so I feel the seat.

On a scale of 1 to 10 10 being good idea give the seat 8 and windscreen 7.5.

But that's for a big guy with a soft backside lol.

I wouldn't let either of those be a reason to stop my purchase. Like the footpeg, those are things that alot of people change out anyways.

There's not one bike out there that's a 10, not at this price.

I have about 4,000 miles on mine now and am very happy with it. Good thing because I traded in my Goldwing of 13 yrs for this bike. Wanted to return to a simpler, lighter ride.

I'm getting 52-55 mpg, but I don't cummute or ride freeway. Mostly back roads, some mild dirt & lots of FM, country stuff, so my speeds are mostly 65-70 cruise and 45-60 on those lovely back roads. At 5'9" I put a mild bar riser and lower pegs to help with the knee comfort & standing position.

Power & handling are great! Bike feels light, even when standing. 1st gear is long, so it might be tricky at low speed technical stuff, but the rest of the gearing is close and seems comfortable shifts every 15mph (ish) on up to 6th gear 4000 rpm = about 65 mph with stock gearing. Sounds very nice getting there too :thumb:

I don't plan on riding it on technical stuff just yet because I have Sparky for that. However I hope to gradually enjoy more of its CRF bloodline. Small steps for now.

Click on the Scout link in signature line to see details of modifications.

What do you weigh?

I'm 6,1 245 lbs. Wind isn't bad, but in a head wind or behind a truck it can get uncomfortable. After an hr or so I feel the seat.

On a scale of 1 to 10 10 being good idea give the seat 8 and windscreen 7.5.

But that's for a big guy with a soft backside lol.

I wouldn't let either of those be a reason to stop my purchase. Like the footpeg, those are things that alot of people change out anyways.

There's not one bike out there that's a 10, not at this price.

I would agree 8 maybe 8.5 or so on the seat. For me because I am short and wide I would give the windscreen about a 9. Also, with the low seat I can pretty much flat foot at 5' 8". I was really impressed with the comfort on a long ride.
The DCT is great.

I'm on vacation next week. I plan on taking it for a good ride this weekend. If anyone wants to go and has a GPS that would be great.

I feel like I am late getting to the party… I am in, just have to figure out a when and where. Any other AT’s going to BB next week?

Crazy about the cross bar vibrating, my is rock solid. I even installed an adapter to allow me to mount things to it. I have my Garmin Montana mounted there and it works fine. I had a ram mount in the middle of my handlebars but it required me to look down too far and refocus. Up a bit higher hasn’t impacted visibility,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-WALK-...ash=item25d11610df:g:-08AAOSwtJZXVjY~&vxp=mtr

I love the AT, it has been an amazing bike to re-enter riding and is my first adventure bike being more of an off-road racer guy. Soon as I road the AT I sold my XR650L knowing it would never be what the AT is. I have had it off road in Colorodo and it did fantastic. I am a big guy and I just increased the preload front and back as well as rebound damping and it worked fantastic. I was able to hang with RG on his killer KTM 1190. I did have a little trouble keeping up with the physo when he just had to pass cars on the tight twisties at warp speed. First time I have had the rear end of a bike start to slid at over 80 MPH on pavement. Dirt is one thing but that was intersting.

I did install the Boster plug, that little thing was a PIA to install, but it really cleaned up the leaness on the bottom end.

I have had several different types of tires on it so far, from the stock, to Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 AT https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/scorpion-mt-90-at

These are the tire that lives on the bike most of the time. I used TKC 80s in Colorado, the worked great. I have a Heidenau K60 in stock for my next more off-road ride. I am too lazy to put it on for BB next week.

My stock seat is perfect for me, but it is the first wide site I have ever ridden.

As to milage mine averages about 50 MPH no matter what I do, until I put on the large boxes. That takes it down to about 38 MPH which came as a surprise. It will go forever on reserve, the yellow light blinks faster and faster every mile you go after being stupid and ignorning the last fuel stop for the guys with little bikes.

Mine is the manual, just couldn’t make the transition.

I can’t ride the AT this weekend, I need to take the Husky out to the off road park in Marble falls for a shakedown ride after all the changes I made.

By the way, I still have a stock Honda top box, some SW Motech saddle bags and a huge SW Motech skid plate that I ended up not using. I went with Touratech stuff…

I have about 3300 on my AT. For asphalt and county dirt roads, including water crossings, it is great. I have ridden more technical stuff and found my limit. The thing that concerns me most is when I drop it. That bad boy is heavy and could be a challenge if alone. Went from two bikes (Road Glide & KLR) to this "do-it-all" bike. It does alot, but not all. Don't think I will sell it, but strongly considering a lighter bike for some of the rides we do.

Stock seat is fine for me (5:10, 235). Easily do 300+ mile days.

I feel like I am late getting to the party… I am in, just have to figure out a when and where. Any other AT’s going to BB next week?

By the way, I still have a stock Honda top box, some SW Motech saddle bags and a huge SW Motech skid plate that I ended up not using. I went with Touratech stuff…

I want to go, but I'm just not ready. Plus I have to replace my fence and the neibors aren't going to help. I still need to get with you one day and look at that skid plate. I want to see if it'll work with the GIVI bars. If so we'll have to talk. Maybe one day next week when I'm off.

I have about 3300 on my AT. For asphalt and county dirt roads, including water crossings, it is great. I have ridden more technical stuff and found my limit. The thing that concerns me most is when I drop it. That bad boy is heavy and could be a challenge if alone. Went from two bikes (Road Glide & KLR) to this "do-it-all" bike. It does alot, but not all. Don't think I will sell it, but strongly considering a lighter bike for some of the rides we do.

Stock seat is fine for me (5:10, 235). Easily do 300+ mile days.

I still want a 250. I'm thinking of making it a family thing and buy the new CRF 250.:trust:

Later, though. MUCH later.

I did install the Boster plug, that little thing was a PIA to install, but it really cleaned up the leaness on the bottom end.

Do you have a link to info about this? Honda is kinda notorious about setting their bikes lean to get them past emissions approval.

what about the seat height? I'm 5'9 and had to step on the peg to mount the AT. When I sat down and put my 180 lbs on it, I could pretty much flat foot it. I would be fairly new to the DS catagory but thinking of trading my Goldwing for something lighter. Want something that can get down the hwy, handle my camping gear and some of the gravel roads in Big Bend that I can't take my GW down. Not going to do any of the serious off roading that some of you cats tackle . The AT seems like a good choice.

I am 6' so seat height isn't as big a deal for me, but I can say the seat height on the AT is lower then my XR650L and is much lower then the Husky 501

There is an optional Honda seat that is 1" or 1.5" lower than the stock seat without having to mess with the suspension.

I took the AT on almost everything except single track racing stuff. It will do it, but it is big and heavy. I just got on it a few mins ago after spending a lot of time on the Husky 501 and was surprised just how heavy it really is. Once you are moving it feels as light as an XR but if you drop it, you quickly realize it is not an XR :(

Otherwise for the price and Honda reliability and service intervals you can't go wrong.

what about the seat height? I'm 5'9 and had to step on the peg to mount the AT. When I sat down and put my 180 lbs on it, I could pretty much flat foot it.

You say "flat foot" thats good! I'm also 5'9" 195 lb and 30" inseam and find the seat height on normal (not using low) just fine. I usually mount from the pegs (cowboy style) mostly cause its easier to throw leg over whatever may be put on the back & keeps me from dragging muddy boots across seat.

I switched from Goldwing and really enjoy the AT. Am working on luggage solution, then will be ready for long trip so can wear out those stock tires :rider:

FYI check out touratech, mine is really nice...

Back