• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who's ready for MOTOGP ?

I'm ready!!

What's the scoop on demo rides?
If I want to test ride a few bikes Saturday morning do I need to go out Friday to sign up for a spot?

-Jay

If anybody is interested, here's my summary of what to bring (and what isn't allowed)

No tripods allowed. I think they allow monopods though.
They say no metal containers on the COTA faq, but I think they'll allow metal water bottles.

I'm taking
folding chair
empty, refillable water bottle. They have refill stations around the track.
camera, two lens (24-70mm and 100-400mm), plus 1.4x teleconverter
hat
sunscreen and chapstick
long sleeve sun blocking shirt (one of those fishing style with vents)
wearing hiking boots since I'll be walking alot.
cash - food trucks have good food, but not cheap. There are ATM's, but plan ahead.
On Sunday I will probably have a towel for sitting on instead of hauling a camera.
Oh yeah, my tickets...

I also have the cell phone numbers of some of you all so we can meet up. Very nice on race day to sit with friends who will watch your stuff when you run to the John or to buy food.

1. If there's a traffic jam getting in or out, to other attendees/cops tolerate sane lane splitting?

2. Where is the Christian Motorcycle Association gear check in located/how to find it?

3. If I hold a Turn ticket, am I allowed in the GA areas?

Last edited:
1. The cops keep the traffic flowing well out the main entrance and you won't need to split, and it would probably be a bad idea anyway since a lot of the traffic is bikes.

2. I believe they are the Gear Check stations on either side of the main entrance by the bike parking.

3. yes, your ticket gets you into your stands and you can wander the full grounds. Many people wander on Friday and Saturday and then sit in their assigned seats on Sunday for the race.

1. The cops keep the traffic flowing well out the main entrance and you won't need to split, and it would probably be a bad idea anyway since a lot of the traffic is bikes.

2. I believe they are the Gear Check stations on either side of the main entrance by the bike parking.

3. yes, your ticket gets you into your stands and you can wander the full grounds. Many people wander on Friday and Saturday and then sit in their assigned seats on Sunday for the race.

Thank you!!!

Saturday morning : it's windy in the GA area around turn 6, but it's dry and the bikes are flying!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Yesterday was perfect weather-wise. Today, not so much. It's fine when the wind dies down and gets cold when it picks up. So far, I've picked up a shirt and hat and some gloves for half retail. The cycle gear tents have some great prices for the race weekend.

I am pumped for tomorrow! GA ticket. I might watch a start from turn 2 and wander from there to turn 10.

I'm with a few twters at 6,kinda towards 5 about half way down the hill..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

good race any time that Rossi is on the box.

.3 penalty total BS. Zark gets nothing.

I watched on the MotoGP site. I was looking hard for anyone I might recognize in the crowd. Didn't see anyone at all. Maybe someone could take a TWT banner next year :-P

There was a HUGE crowd. I wore a black TWT t-shirt and never got a shout out.
I was really hard to cross paths with specific people.

Beautiful weather Sunday made up for the heat Friday and the ugly clouds Saturday.

:sun:

The podium riders all agreed that COTA needs to get a handle on three spots where the pavement has sunk.

We were watching for a while at Turn 6 and there was one spot all the bikes suffered remarkable suspension compression. That's the spot Marquez said was the worst on the track.

This all was in response to a reporter asking Marquez if COTA was his favorite track, because he never lost here. He seemed to say he loves coming to Austin/Texas, but for Dorna to seal the deal for future contracts, COTA had better get their stuff together and do something about the bumps. Not just little, annoying bumps, but worsening dips affecting rider safety. His words.

I wish I wouldn't have skipped Friday . There was too much to see and I ran out of time.

My first time and wow was it exciting! I was in turn 15 and just amazed watching them accelerate out of that slow corner. Definitely going next year and going to try and get a paddock pass.

The podium riders all agreed that COTA needs to get a handle on three spots where the pavement has sunk.

We were watching for a while at Turn 6 and there was one spot all the bikes suffered remarkable suspension compression. That's the spot Marquez said was the worst on the track.

This all was in response to a reporter asking Marquez if COTA was his favorite track, because he never lost here. He seemed to say he loves coming to Austin/Texas, but for Dorna to seal the deal for future contracts, COTA had better get their stuff together and do something about the bumps. Not just little, annoying bumps, but worsening dips affecting rider safety. His words.

Who would've thought that caliche would be a problem? :doh:

Who would've thought that caliche would be a problem? :doh:

There were videos and photos way back when they built the track. Went down like 10 feet, lots of fill. State of the art in track building. But the asphalt moves when hot and under load. Can't change that. The F1 cars have so much power and grip that they are hard on the top layers.

Had a great time at my first race at COTA. Thanks to Rusty for the photo tips. He's got a real feel for the place and knows where to be to get the best shots. It was good seeing Jeff and nice to meet a few new faces.
Looking at my lackluster photos, even after some tweaking in Lightroom, a better lens may be in my future.

We were under staffed this year, and ran the three of us ragged all three days, 0700 to 0900 VIP demos and 0900-18:00 for all others, all time slots filled each day by 11:00
As I have in past years, this year again confirmed many out there should use only public transportation for their safety and the safety of others.

All that said, I had great viewing on the inside of the track from the paddock area, by turn 2 tunnel.. Perched on the fire engine or the Slingshot transport truck gave an awesome view of several corners, and a few straights, both up close (10 feet away) and farther. I have a video pass for the entire season so will watch and re watch the race this week to pick up what i was not able to see in person.

It was the best yet, I think. I stayed Saturday night in camping, sleeping on cot under stars. I had to throw M/C cover over my bag to block chilly north wind. Second year to camp, it is the best way. Won the pot for random draw for winner on GP, cut up program, throw in bag pay 10 bucks and draw. Thank you Val. Marquez wasn't drawn only 10 played. My friend had Pedrosa, he was happy most of the race.
The last few laps Marquez screamed down back straight. He left the field like they were standing still.
Anyone know the top speed recorded, had to be #93.

We had the best 3 days. Made even better when Tricepilot met me.

IMG_20170422_161046-L.jpg

Back