• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paid and registered:

Bill K is #27

Juan is #28

Add in Dennie and Richard and we just hit 30 riders!!!!

Registered but unpaid puts us at 40 riders:

Ken M
Brandon M
Greg Br
Danny B
John D
Wade R
David He
Rick G
Fernando S
Douglas P

We'll be riding between 30 and 150 miles south of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. This town is absolutely booming with construction and wealthy Mexicans flocking to the high rise luxury apartments being built hilllside. Gone are the fears of gangster killings, decapitations, and random violence in the heart of the city. Things are returning to normal. Well, ugh....Mexican normal. A day at the main square and you'll see tens of thousands of people going about their fun business.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxROmsrWyTg"]Monterrey,Mexico 2016|HD - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
There a joke in there somewhere ?

I'm not in on the joke, but have an interest in the green route depicted on the map.

I came up the south face of Cerro Potosi from La Cuesta last summer. It looks like if I hadn't been forced back by Murphy, I would have connected with the trail show in green. That was my intention anyways. I had planned on following it to Lagunita and wherever else I decided to go from there.

I'm not sure I'll make MexTrek this fall (I hope to), but next time I'm down there, I want to link my orange trail to your green trail. It's somewhat of a climb going straight up that ridge but that's where the trail is; not where it's depicted on the map. At least the portion that I was on, but it looked like it just continued right up that ridge.

I've marked what I rode in orange. The bottom part is actually a creek bed within a couple hundred yards out of La Cuesta until it starts to climb up the mountain.

My return route took me on a more direct easterly direction on a well used two track. Much easier and faster than the creek bed. You do have to open two stretched barbed wire field gates. It's not marked as a road on any map I've seen, but it's there.

Cerro%20Petosi%20map_zpsc0h0bghv.jpg

:sun: booking up so soon already? I may have to commit.

Last edited:
Those stairs...haunted me for 7 years. Easier done than contemplated!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhcyQTd0Eo"]Mextrek 2016 Stairway from Heaven - YouTube[/ame]

But this is really what I come for.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIRAd3TKjg"]Mextrek 2016 Rayones to Cienega del Toro - YouTube[/ame]

I realized I had not registered or paid. Both are now done.

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a dual sport for this ride, probably trading the f4i for it. Things I'd like it to do;
Ride in the national forest, be street legal, able to cruise at 70-80mph, aftermarket support would be good.
Let me know if anyone has something for sale, shaman told me to come over here and make a post to see what people had to offer.

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a dual sport for this ride, probably trading the f4i for it. Things I'd like it to do;
Ride in the national forest, be street legal, able to cruise at 70-80mph, aftermarket support would be good.
Let me know if anyone has something for sale, shaman told me to come over here and make a post to see what people had to offer.

If you want to be able to cruise comfortably at those speeds and still be capable and not a pig off road I would think the 690E would be a safe bet.

KTM? That'd probably run me a bit more than 3k... I would love to find a 690 enduro r at some point. Those things are mean. I've been recommended the DRZ400 for lightness and general purpose over the KLR650 and such. Shaman may come over and set me straight on that but that's what I recall being said on moto houston.

KTM? That'd probably run me a bit more than 3k... I would love to find a 690 enduro r at some point. Those things are mean. I've been recommended the DRZ400 for lightness and general purpose over the KLR650 and such. Shaman may come over and set me straight on that but that's what I recall being said on moto houston.

Right on, I wasn't sure what your budget was. I just sold a DRZ400E. Absolutely killer bike, but it is not going to cruise at those speeds IMO. Especially if its geared for any kind of dirt. 60-65 is doable. The KLR will be quite taxing to ride anything technical off road (depending on your size, I am a smaller fella), but much more at home on pavement. My suggestion would be to ride both if you can. YMMV.. I am fairly new to all this DS stuff!

Been lurking on TWT for quite some time. Figured this trip will be too good to pass up. So finally got around to joining the forum. Registered and ordered Richards Ride guide. Booked hotel in Mission. See you guys there. Still need to lock in lodging in Galeana.

As far as getting bike into Mexico anyone have experience taking multiple bikes? I own both and have both registered to me. Id like to let a friend ride one into Mexico. Hoping since id be there, that they wouldn't have an issue with letting him drive it into Mexico. Any idea if that's allowed?

Last edited:
As far as getting bike into Mexico anyone have experience taking multiple bikes? I own both and have both registered to me. Id like to let a friend ride one into Mexico. Hoping since id be there, that they wouldn't have an issue with letting him drive it into Mexico. Any idea if that's allowed?

Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to take 2 bikes into Mexico. And you can't take a borrowed bike into Mexico, even if the owner of the bike is with you.

Good to know, Bummer for him, Now just need to figure out which bike to take.

Depending on bike and condition it may not be that expensive to get it into his name. Texas sucks at this, but over here in Arizona it's $20 to do a transfer...no inspection, emissions, or insurance required. Not sure if he could do it remotely.

Regardless, glad to have you on the ride.

P

Right on, I wasn't sure what your budget was. I just sold a DRZ400E. Absolutely killer bike, but it is not going to cruise at those speeds IMO. Especially if its geared for any kind of dirt. 60-65 is doable. The KLR will be quite taxing to ride anything technical off road (depending on your size, I am a smaller fella), but much more at home on pavement. My suggestion would be to ride both if you can. YMMV.. I am fairly new to all this DS stuff!

Agree 100%...

However, you can gear a DRZ to theoretically run 90 - 100 mph with a $25 ebay sprocket. It will cruise 75 with knobbies. But...and this is a big but...it will have a tall first gear, not suited for extemely challenging dirt. A tall first gear...just like a KLR. In the world of compromise having a larger sprocket and longer links for a chain to run the nat forest, and also a smaller one for Mexico / Big Bend makes great sense. I did two mexico trips on a DRZ motard with 17" front and rear rims with 100 MPH gearing. Just added some big Shinko 70/30 knobbies and rode it as it was. Top speed was only 80 or 85 with dirt tires, but the gearing made it cruise very comfortably at 75.

Same idea, my 1993 DR250S went 82 MPH stock at 8200 RPM. I did a sprocket swap and it would go 82 MPH at 7000 rpm. And 65 mph cruise was very comfortable at aound 5000 rpm after the change.

Joey was on the last trip ( joeybaila on motohouston ) on a $1200 DR250 I think. No issues.

Finally, my little Honda 230 was geared to go maybe, tops, 65 stock. I regeared it and it cruises great at 60 - 62 with reasonable revs. According to Fang, on a recent ride in PHX, I rode I17 for 3 or 4 miles at sustained 82 MPH, tucked tight, like a flat tracker. That's my minimalist example of what can be done, when you have to work with what you have. In my case, an $800 bike that gets me everywhere I want to go (one handed at times)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKDIy8Aerhw&t=3s"]Mextrek 2016 Galeana to Rayones - YouTube[/ame]

Opinions...[/url]

A great buy, good all around performer, and probably the equal of the DRZ for less money is the KLX250S. 6 speeds, simple, liquid cooled, and not really that lusted after so the prices are great. Justine (Jay or Jayburris on MH) got one for last year's ride for like $2000 with 900 miles on it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyrqnGJKC-0"]Mextrek 2016 We Always Wait with Justine - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Same price, much better option....

On craigslist (spring tx) for $3000, super low miles, looks super cherry in new condition....could probably get it for $2500:

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/6059690315.html

FWIW, I rode the motard version at Grand Sport Speedway a few year ago. It lapped at the exact same lap times as my DRZ400. It had an aftermarket pipe that gave it a lot more power according to Goe Kawasaki that was demo-ing it there. I would estimate 23 HP, lol. Thomas on this forum rides the very similar, more expensive, and newer CRF250L and it does great, except in the subframe cracking department.

Here is a review of the KLX250S

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/kawasaki-klx250s-real-world-test#page-5

Same price, much better option....

On craigslist (spring tx) for $3000, super low miles, looks super cherry in new condition....could probably get it for $2500:

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/6059690315.html

FWIW, I rode the motard version at Grand Sport Speedway a few year ago. It lapped at the exact same lap times as my DRZ400. It had an aftermarket pipe that gave it a lot more power according to Goe Kawasaki that was demo-ing it there. I would estimate 23 HP, lol. Thomas on this forum rides the very similar, more expensive, and newer CRF250L and it does great, except in the subframe cracking department.

Here is a review of the KLX250S

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/kawasaki-klx250s-real-world-test#page-5

Good stuff man, thanks. As far as range for fuel goes how often are the fill ups on this ride? Would the stock tank of any of the ones you've linked here or on Motohouston work for this ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back