• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a list of who is "in" and what they're riding?

Hoping to join myself, debating btwn KLR and Versys.

Very disappointed :tears: Due to work obligations I will not be able to go on this ride and I hope everyone will have a fun and safe ride!! Post lots of pics please.

What r u doing for lodging/camping along CDR?

The wife is meeting me at overnight stops, driving this:

i-2DgCPLv-M.jpg

tricepilot.... Nice ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen. I'm out.
Got a chance to go to Mexico for a few weeks instead.

GTO, FTW.

A CannonRide Down the Great Divide (solo)

Just found this on ADV and have posted it here for the general readership

Cannonshot is a moderator on ADV and is known for his thorough, well documented ride reports. This is no exception.

This is the full ride, and is north to south, but the Colorado and New Mexico portions should be informative for the general reader.

As an example of the utility of Cannonshot's report, his post #309 shows a deep water crossing at Rock Creek, west of Kremmling, south of Steamboat. His report is from 2010, and things may have changed, but if the deep water crossing is still there, you can read about the easy Highway 134 bypass later on in that post.

Here are the coordinates for your GPS for that exact crossing:

40.057127, -106.640159

You can copy and paste those coordinates into Google Maps and have a look

According to my research so far, it is the biggest obstacle on the route - but again, the ride report is 7 years old.

TIP: Go to post #363 in his report, read it, and scroll up (backwards) - this will give you photos and points of interest in the direction of our ride in June

Last edited:
I really want to ride this high passes! Sounds like that may not be looking promising in June...

Might have to switch over to a snow machine.

Not sure how much help this will be since last summer we started in Santa Fe and went to Banff and back. There are various ways to look at the routes and a link to pics. Unfortunately I stalled out on the ride report when I started working on a '97 DR350SE I acquired. I've realized I'd rather ride than write.

Planning a repeat trip this summer but will be leaving mid July instead of early July like last year. Have fun!

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/long-way-round-the-rockies-lwrr-2016.1203796/

Wow... looks like hundreds of hours went into this planning.. very good stuff!

Thx, that estimate is about right! I enjoy the mapping phase of a trip. I'll try to crank out the ride report.

I can remember my pre trip concepts and how they differed from what actually happened. After hearing stories of bikes getting stuck and having to wait days for the mud to dry, I kept trying to determine where the muddy sections were so that we could route around.
It's all so weather dependent and different every year.
The rides that took place during the 2013 torrential flooding were slugfests. Our first 12 days were perfect weather but I could see the dried, deep Jeep tracks in the mud everywhere.

On a six day trip, I'd put the most aggressive knobbies on that I could find. Bring heated gear if you have it but travel as light as you possibly can and share resources if possible.
We used Sena 20s units and it made a huge difference. It would be hard to have a large group with full time communication but it makes a difference in small groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back